Sponsored

Have you made a "how to" caliper paint thread?

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I cheated and only painted the visible portion of the calipers. No one buy the mechanics at Ford and myself will ever see the backs of the calipers on this car. I was able to get away with one because of that. If you spray it with the preval sprayer and do a full coverage application you'd want to get two kits.
Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Did you have to buy two kits for front and rear due to caliper size?
One is plenty for front Brembos and rear calipers plus the rear bracket. That's enough for 3 coats and some left over. If you are replacing the rear calipers that might need more paint than the stock rears and brackets. That was for the visible areas from any angle. If you want to paint the parts you can't see without getting under the car, you'll need two. If you get two, it does double the time window allowed for doing the paint.

Last edited:

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Also depends on what calipers you have. The GT350 takes considerably more paint than a base non-PP car.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Also depends on what calipers you have. The GT350 takes considerably more paint than a base non-PP car.
I have a PP car but I will also be getting the wildwood 4 piston rears. I think I'll have to buy two just to be safe. I'm still also trying to decide on powder coat vs paint

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
The G2 system isn't paint. It's more of a tinted epoxy than anything else.
Have yours held up to heat very well? Do you do any track days or spirited driving that gets a decent amount of heat into the brakes?

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Took this after 2 hours on the mountains in north Georgia. Plenty of heat in the brakes during this driving session. I have only had a few little nicks from poor prep work and banging into the calipers on wheel changes or brake pad changes.

33999146688_6980111a83_o.jpg

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
The calipers always look a bit darker than the rest of the car if you're in direct sunlight due to the metallic qualities of the Orangre fury tri-coat finish. Just a factor of them being in the shade from the wheels. In direct light they match exactly.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I'm still also trying to decide on powder coat vs paint
Powder coating will require removing the calipers, so more work, if that matters.

Powder-coating has a much lower heat tolerance than caliper paint. That may be why Brembo says don't powder-coat. But lots of people do powder-coat and you don't hear about it failing from heat. I don't know if that's because the owners don't push the brakes to the limits OR if the maximum temp of calipers is lower than what's safe for powder-coat, which if I recall is in the 350-400 Fahrenheit range. When I was tracking I never paid attention to caliper temps but know the rotor temps were double that and more. Don't know how much of that makes it to the surface of the calipers but I needed brake fluid good for ~600 degrees.

Powder-coating has more off-the-shelf colors. Caliper paint has fewer color choices BUT you can get an exact match to factory paint from G2 for an additional fee. I went that route but the more I think of it, it seems boring to match your cars paint and almost pointless to exactly match other parts on your car which is what I did. If doing again, I would have done generic red calipers for my white car with Redline interior instead of paying to match my Velocity Blue stripes since the two are in different planes.

Powder-coating will have a smoother finish than brushed caliper paint.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
Good advice sir. I just ordered the G2 caliper paint to match the car.
I drive my car pretty much every day ..the G2 holds up great..easy to clean the calipers . When you go to order the kit you can also get the sprayer they offer.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
I drive my car pretty much every day ..the G2 holds up great..easy to clean the calipers . When you go to order the kit you can also get the sprayer they offer.
I will get the sprayer for half price at Home Depot.

Elvis66

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang GT ..2014 Camaro ..72 Chevelle ..67 LeMans..97 4runner..2001 tundra
I will get the sprayer for half price at Home Depot.
Nice! ..it really is half the price ... Makes it a lot easier than having to use the brush and if you do decide to use the brush get better brushes because the bristles will start to fall out. Also if you have any leftover paint is really no need to keep that because once it has the hardener in it will become rubber epoxye if decided to try to save it and put it away.