Sponsored

procharger shudder/shake and belt slip

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
hey fam, looking for thoughts on an issue I’m seeing. I installed a D1x Procharger on my gt350r in December. No problems, I ran it for 1500 miles and then started experiencing belt slip. I only push 9-10psi so I shouldn’t be having slip issues. I retensioned to spec and even replaced the belt. Still slips. Last week I installed a griptec non slip pulley. This helped tremendously but it will still slip under heavy load.

I noticed my tensioner is noisy and constantly moving at idle. Also the Procharger has a shake/shudder to it if I rest my hand on it at idle. I suspect the spring tensioner is bad. Other possibility is bad bearing in the Procharger headunit heating up and building resistance. I’m using the recommended gates belt.

Thoughts? @ProChargerTECH
Sponsored

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Is this a HO kit or stage 2? How do you know the belt is slipping? are you seeing dust on the pulleys or hearing belt squeal? Take the belt off of the supercharger and spin it by hand, if the bearing is bad you might be able to feel it vibrate or grumble. Is there oil in the Blower?

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Is this a HO kit or stage 2? How do you know the belt is slipping? are you seeing dust on the pulleys or hearing belt squeal? Take the belt off of the supercharger and spin it by hand, if the bearing is bad you might be able to feel it vibrate or grumble. Is there oil in the Blower?
Great questions-
Stage 2 kit. When I first noticed the slip, the boost would go past 5 psi and that was at the upper end of the rpms. It really lost its punch. Opened the hood and immediately saw all the dust on the pulley and surrounding area. Checked the unit by hand and it felt normal. There is oil in the unit of course.

Now that the griptec pulley is on there it’ll slip under heavy load, all of the sudden. Usually 2nd gear in a hard pull, the boost will just drop off momentarily by a few psi. Like the belt has “hopped” or skipped if that makes sense.

The tensioner really has a lot of movement in it at idle. Not sure you can tell much in the vid.

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
Hmm. Can you easily move the tensioner with your hand? Meaning can you easily pull it away from the belt? I would think if the belt is slipping on that Griptec pulley that it would damage the belt almost instantly. Maybe double check that the Procharger crank pulley isn't loose or shifting in some way.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Belt slip on a stage 2 is nearly impossible on a regular pulley, let alone with a special one.

Are you sure there is enough tension on the belt? At its longest stretch you should be able to just about twist the belt 90 degrees.

Make sure the tensioner itself is tightened down. It's a three part system so make sure the main (3/4") tensioner bolt is nice and tight, and make sure the bolt under the brass collar (9/16") is tight.

If all that is good then I would say the tensioner is bad. But that much movement in your video is not abnormal. It could be acting differently under WOT though.

Sponsored

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ordered 2019 ruby red pp1 A10 with whipple stage 2
Do you have the 2 lines lined up on the Tensioner. I use to tighten mine a hair over. I was running a 3.80 pulley on a stage. Witch is pretty much the smallest you can run to 7700Rpm with out over spinning the blower and never had belt slip. So either the Tensioner is bad or you dont have it tight enough. I dont think there is anything else it could be.

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Hmm. Can you easily move the tensioner with your hand? Meaning can you easily pull it away from the belt? I would think if the belt is slipping on that Griptec pulley that it would damage the belt almost instantly. Maybe double check that the Procharger crank pulley isn't loose or shifting in some way.
Yes I can move it by hand. It’s noisy too.

Belt slip on a stage 2 is nearly impossible on a regular pulley, let alone with a special one.

Are you sure there is enough tension on the belt? At its longest stretch you should be able to just about twist the belt 90 degrees.

Make sure the tensioner itself is tightened down. It's a three part system so make sure the main (3/4") tensioner bolt is nice and tight, and make sure the bolt under the brass collar (9/16") is tight.

If all that is good then I would say the tensioner is bad. But that much movement in your video is not abnormal. It could be acting differently under WOT though.
Tensioner is tighter correctly. I’m OCD about being within spec on mechanics. I didnt have slip at all until about 1500 miles which is why I suspect the tensioner itself.

Do you have the 2 lines lined up on the Tensioner. I use to tighten mine a hair over. I was running a 3.80 pulley on a stage. Witch is pretty much the smallest you can run to 7700Rpm with out over spinning the blower and never had belt slip. So either the Tensioner is bad or you dont have it tight enough. I dont think there is anything else it could be.
I do pretty much have the them aligned. It could go a little further but I’m hesitant to put to much side strain on the crank.

See pics and video and see what you think.
8F4D3CB5-DB64-46D0-8AAC-7B3EDB95BF41.jpeg
42760D68-B778-4CA0-90BE-2C73B1053D44.jpeg
42D54105-6E8E-40A6-8811-5569E36438FD.jpeg

PC 2015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ordered 2019 ruby red pp1 A10 with whipple stage 2
I bet you need a Tensioner. Going a hair tight wont hurt anything.

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Figured I would show you how much mine moves for reference, but I don't know how to put a video on this thing... it does not move near as much as yours though!! mine is one notch above the recommended setting though.
20190527_153850.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Figured I would show you how much mine moves for reference, but I don't know how to put a video on this thing... it does not move near as much as yours though!! mine is one notch above the recommended setting though.
20190527_153850.jpg
Thanks bro. I just uploaded to YouTube then pasted the link here. I’d be interested to see.

Can you move your tensioner by hand? Does it squawk at you when you flex the lower belt?

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
20190527_153850.jpg
What size pulley?

OP
OP
madlag

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
4.88, No, mine makes no noise except for a tiny bit of spring tension noise when it tensions back and forth when I really press hard.
Thanks brother. Is there any tremor or shake to your head unit when you lay your hand on it?

JPSTANG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
No not really, you can see the tensioner move a little just like yours that's about it.

Edit: ok maybe a little less than yours, I just re watched your vid.
Sponsored