Sponsored

Steeda's Bullitt Mustang Dyno Test & Tune

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I received a msg from TJ. The tune Steeda sends is the tune in the video. I am looking forward to it.

I believe Ford did not tune the car as in the video, as they could have, because of CAFE, not engine concerns. I imagine producing torque lower down will definitely effect MPG. The gas guzzler tax kicks in if the combined MPG is less than 22.1 MPG. That's why the Shelby GT350 has a gas guzzler tax.

In fact, a lot of cars would scream if they did not have to pay this tax.

But, I didn't buy my Bullitt for that. In fact, if Ford did not care about the GGT, I wonder how it would have performed out of the box? Maybe better than the GT350? Or as good?

The EPA is out of control and we have to live with it until we tune our cars. But you guys in CA are out of luck.:crying:
I'm not sure how much is EPA. When I tuned both my previous Fords I gained MPG by a decent amount.

Have we seen the Voodoo 5.2 on an engine dyno? We know the Gen3 5.0 makes 497 on one.
Sponsored

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
I'm not sure how much is EPA. When I tuned both my previous Fords I gained MPG by a decent amount.

Have we seen the Voodoo 5.2 on an engine dyno? We know the Gen3 5.0 makes 497 on one.
It made 497hp with no exhaust and on premium gas not a far comparison

To be blunt here the bullitt with a tune is making stock gt350 whp numbers. Considering how much the gen 3 coyote and voodoo share in common this is on point.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I've had the Steeda tune on for about 4 days now. Maybe 200 miles. The tune is really excellent. Unlike any other tune I have had in that I think the engine runs smoother than stock. Low end torque is greatly increased as is HP across the board. Pulls very good right up to redline. No idling issues. Cold start is as good as stock. But, giving the car in 3rd or 4th at 2-3K now becomes a much better pull.
I spoke with James for nearly 2 hours Tuesday morning and I agree with Tom Lake. He is perhaps the nicest person in tuning I have spoken with in all my years doing Mustangs.
BTW, the tune and the video is 91 Octane. Makes you want to look at an E85 tune, eh?
Highly recommend!

TomLake

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Bullitt, 2017 Shelby GT350
I've had the Steeda tune on for about 4 days now. Maybe 200 miles. The tune is really excellent. Unlike any other tune I have had in that I think the engine runs smoother than stock. Low end torque is greatly increased as is HP across the board. Pulls very good right up to redline. No idling issues. Cold start is as good as stock. But, giving the car in 3rd or 4th at 2-3K now becomes a much better pull.
I spoke with James for nearly 2 hours Tuesday morning and I agree with Tom Lake. He is perhaps the nicest person in tuning I have spoken with in all my years doing Mustangs.
BTW, the tune and the video is 91 Octane. Makes you want to look at an E85 tune, eh?
Highly recommend!
I concur my friend!!

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
The EPA is out of control and we have to live with it until we tune our cars. But you guys in CA are out of luck.:crying:
Actually, I think it's CARB that provides the buzzkill (not EPA). Anyway, if someone in CA got a hold of a Steeda or other tune--I would never, EVER do this, of course--would the dealer know and possibly void the warranty? I'm pretty sure such a miscreant would be caught at smog test time--on newer cars, the 'test' is just an inspection of the engine and a read of the OBDII data--but, theoretically, one could re-flash the stock tune. Note: 'theoretically.'

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
--on newer cars, the 'test' is just an inspection of the engine and a read of the OBDII data--but, theoretically, one could re-flash the stock tune. Note: 'theoretically.'
My understanding is that Ford would know the PCM was re-flashed, but that's all. Not the details of what the tune file was. I believe that is completely gone. Someone chime in here if this is wrong. So, "theoretically" a CA resident could have the item shipped to another state. That friend ship to the CA resident. The CA resident re-flash the Steeda tune. Then when the test time came, or warranty stuff, re-flash the stock tune file back in. "Theoretically" that is.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
My understanding is that Ford would know the PCM was re-flashed, but that's all. Not the details of what the tune file was. I believe that is completely gone. Someone chime in here if this is wrong. So, "theoretically" a CA resident could have the item shipped to another state. That friend ship to the CA resident. The CA resident re-flash the Steeda tune. Then when the test time came, or warranty stuff, re-flash the stock tune file back in. "Theoretically" that is.
Every time you start your car the computer logs a Key Turn. That number is reset when you flash the ECU. So if you have say 20,000 miles on the car but only 5 Key Turns they are going to know you didn't just start the car and then drive 4,000 miles each time, and that instead the computer was flashed.

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
Every time you start your car the computer logs a Key Turn. That number is reset when you flash the ECU. So if you have say 20,000 miles on the car but only 5 Key Turns they are going to know you didn't just start the car and then drive 4,000 miles each time, and that instead the computer was flashed.
That, or a simple polynomial checksum, would rat out a 'theoretical' re-tune. Probably enough to void a warranty; has anybody who's done a tune had warranty issues?

Thanks for the responses guys.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
That, or a simple polynomial checksum, would rat out a 'theoretical' re-tune. Probably enough to void a warranty; has anybody who's done a tune had warranty issues?

Thanks for the responses guys.
It depends on what issues they are looking for, if it's internal engine related they will look at the computer more closely than if its a transmission problem. I know a few GT350 guys have had warranties canceled due to Ford finding a tune on them.

Sponsored

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang - Dark Highland Green
Highly recommend!
Thanks for the review!

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I spoke with James for quite a while. The video at the beginning of this is the tune. You can see both on his graph.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I spoke with James for quite a while. The video at the beginning of this is the tune. You can see both on his graph.
And they are by the tuner at the tuners shop used for promotional material with the tuner there to tweak anything needed. That's not the same as just flashing the tune to your own car and independent testing. We've covered that.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
It’s real simple guys
On the gen 2 engine with the same parts
Gt350 manifold
87mm TB
Gt350 cold air
With frpp calibration it makes 478hp SAE. Okay so ya mean to tell me with all the improvements to the gen 3 engine it got only another 2hp lol
You bet your ass it’s making 500hp stock on the engine dynos at ford.
Sponsored