bsenbay

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Berk
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Hello,

I’ve been posting a crap ton of posts already about mods for my 2019 Bullitt. Someone recommended a carbon fiber driveshaft but I am very unfamiliar with the pros and cons and if it’s worth it. I am looking at the QA1 Carbon Fiber Driveshaft which is $1400. Anyone recommend this or just keep the stock Driveshaft?
Sponsored

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
Steph from American Muscle had a CF driveshaft explode spectacularly on her turbo-ed GT. After I saw that, it turned me off to them completely.
I believe that CF driveshafts are designed to disintegrate when they fail and by doing so reduce the damage done in the process.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
Steph from American Muscle had a CF driveshaft explode spectacularly on her turbo-ed GT. After I saw that, it turned me off to them completely.
I saw that, i wonder who made the CF DS. Did they even test the fucking thing? I mean her car was making what 800rwhp? I would expect a carbon DS with proper testing to be rated up to 1000rwhp.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Ya but a carbon shaft is rated to about 900hp, a turbo'd gt is probably close to that number so it's not surprising.

CurtisH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost PP, 2011 Edge
In the video, she also talked about wheel hop and staying in the throttle. That combination will yield bad results.

Sponsored

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
Hello,

I’ve been posting a crap ton of posts already about mods for my 2019 Bullitt. Someone recommended a carbon fiber driveshaft but I am very unfamiliar with the pros and cons and if it’s worth it. I am looking at the QA1 Carbon Fiber Driveshaft which is $1400. Anyone recommend this or just keep the stock Driveshaft?
I'm not sure what your current mods are, but the main reason to get rid of the OEM driveshaft is if you are planning to go with FI with a lot of torque. Also, it doesn't really matter too much if you don't plan on going to the strip, as HOOKING with a lot of torque is where the issue comes from. If it's only a "street car", you most likely will never have this issue as your tires will simply smoke up instead of hooking up, therefore not jeopardizing your DS.
Also, you do lose some rotational mass as less force is required to spin the DS compared to the OEM DS , but most people don't get one for just that reason alone (although some do). This change is primarily seen as a slight increase in "throttle response".

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I saw that, i wonder who made the CF DS. Did they even test the fucking thing? I mean her car was making what 800rwhp? I would expect a carbon DS with proper testing to be rated up to 1000rwhp.
Probably Driveshaft shop as that's the brand they sell. Every CF DS failure I can find on YouTube is DriveShaft Shop. They seem cheep.

I'd go aluminum, barely weighs more and less likely to fail.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
I had a QA1 CF DS in my Boss and my HC. Speaking from experience, they are of the highest quality. I think it would be an outstanding mod to the Bullitt. Quicker revs to red line. Feels like you just tuned or geared your car. Very noticeable seat of the pants. You would be moving from a 40 lbs two piece to a 18-20 lbs single piece. The weight saving on the rotating mass is definitely noticeable.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
I've had carbon fiber and aluminum on my s197s. My recommendation is don't do it. You do not need it.

That said, I'm an older guy and hate nvh. All single tube driveshaft shafts will transmit gear noise to some degree. The heavy stock 2 piece driveshaft cancels out some cabin noise and the rubber mounts insulate gear noise. There are plenty of 1000 hp cars with the stock ds.

As the Mustang gets better and better, mods are needed less and less. A good mod that does not really effect ride quality or nvh are the BMR and Steeda stop hop brackets. Cheap and effective at getting the bite for drag racing.

Good luck on your decision. Just hoping to save you some money.
Sponsored