Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT base w/ PP
5025EDA5-F043-4B84-BBAB-89555DAB1404.jpeg
D22F851B-47DB-4EFD-AE19-3BA4FB9769FA.jpeg
1C6FBEAE-D96B-478B-BF53-83895E265C11.jpeg
I joined the forum yesterday as I just brought home my new-to-me 2015 GT base w/ PP
I am looking to order wheels and tires right away, as the ones that come on the car looking but they are staggered and very heavy.
I am looking to run as wide of wheels and tires as possible with still being able to rotate and not modifying my suspension at this time. I like the idea of 18” wheels for lightweight but would consider a 19 if I had to.
the car is lowered on some blue springs, which look like Steeda brand from my research.
I am not looking to run super negative camber as I drive the car around town often and will be traveling 100 miles 1 way sometimes to the track. I like black or matte bronze but would consider silver if that’s all that was in stock. I’d prefer not to add spacers, but I’m ok with small ones if necessary. Looking for suggestions from experienced owners! I have searched the forums thoroughly and haven’t found the answer to my question yet.
Sponsored

slink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium,6 Speed, 401A Pkg, Kona Blue
How do you know those wheels are heavy? Pull one off and weigh the tire and wheel on a bathroom scale. Then look up the tire on tirerack.com and find the weight of the tire.

You'll have a tough time finding 18's that clear the front brakes.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Since you are after a square setup, here are some threads that should help you. Bottom line is without spacers the typical widest wheel/tire setup is 19x10 +35 offset with 285/35/19 tires.

The second thread is about square setups using wheels with offsets designed for the rear (+50). Spacers are used in front (25mm or 20mm) to push the wheels outward to an effectively smaller offset. This allows for a rotatable setup with wider tires all the way around.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-specs-handling-characteristics-thread.47891/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/two-19x11-square-setup-installs.76670/

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
19x10 ET35 or ET40 with a 285/35R19 is a good common square setup. 3 years later and they still look amazing on the car.

You can run a square setup with 19x11 ET52 with 305/30R19 tires if you’re baller, but its not really necessary for a street car and you will need to run extended studs and 25mm spacers to clear on the front. 19x10ET35 is an easy no spacer square setup.

OP
OP

joelw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
19x10 ET35 or ET40 with a 285/35R19 is a good common square setup. 3 years later and they still look amazing on the car.

You can run a square setup with 19x11 ET52 with 305/30R19 tires if you’re baller, but its not really necessary for a street car and you will need to run extended studs and 25mm spacers to clear on the front. 19x10ET35 is an easy no spacer square setup.
I’m not necessarily building a street car. I plan on driving it around town, but it’s main purpose is autocross. Unfortunately most of the events are a few hours from here, so I need the camber to be somewhat reasonable for tire wear, as my wife and toddler will be traveling with me so no room for extra wheels
Thank you for the information. My main concern is, with all of that info, will fronts clear if I run a 18x10 or 18x11 with front spacers without having to run wicked camber? It’s lowered on blue springs, which I assume are Steeda based on the research I’ve done.
For reference, I am looking at 18s that are advertised to clear the PP brakes. I would like to run 10 or 11” wheels and anywhere from a 275-305 tire.

Sponsored

OP
OP

joelw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
How do you know those wheels are heavy? Pull one off and weigh the tire and wheel on a bathroom scale. Then look up the tire on tirerack.com and find the weight of the tire.

You'll have a tough time finding 18's that clear the front brakes.
Because the are cast 20” wheels and I read how much they weigh on the manufacturers website.
It was pretty easy to find actually. Apex, a sponsor of this site makes a few sets.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I’m not necessarily building a street car. I plan on driving it around town, but it’s main purpose is autocross. Unfortunately most of the events are a few hours from here, so I need the camber to be somewhat reasonable for tire wear, as my wife and toddler will be traveling with me so no room for extra wheels
Thank you for the information. My main concern is, with all of that info, will fronts clear if I run a 18x10 or 18x11 with front spacers without having to run wicked camber? It’s lowered on blue springs, which I assume are Steeda based on the research I’ve done.
For reference, I am looking at 18s that are advertised to clear the PP brakes. I would like to run 10 or 11” wheels and anywhere from a 275-305 tire.
I assume you will be competing in CAM? You'll want a 'healthy' amount of camber to preserve your tire wear at the event. In my experience, one autox run is worth about 150 street miles as far as wear goes, fwiw. 2.5 degrees would be close, but not quite enough for autox and its a little more than you'd want on the street, so consider that a compromise, and with the right offsets, extended ARP studs, and 25mm spacers they'll fit in the front fine with 11s and 305s. Just make sure your front toe is zero to minimize wear on the street. Toe will kill tires faster than camber.

A 10/11 staggered wheel setup would not be ideal if you want to autox the car. it will just understeer too much you won't get balanced handling and will be fighting to get it to rotate all the time. If you don't want to worry about being maximally competitive, and you want to save a few bucks, often (but not always) the 10" wide 285 tires are cheaper than 11" wide 305s, plus you don't need spacers and studs to get a rotatable square 10" wide setup. RE71Rs are currently $300 each in 285 and $370 for a 305/30R19.

Me, I'd go 19s (and did), but there are a couple of 18s that will fit over the PP brakes. The problem is the tire selection. The RE71Rs you'd put on 18x11" wheels are pretty short and would make the short gearing on a 15-17 GT even shorter. The Rival S 1.5 in 315/30R19 is a little better diameter, but i hope you don't drive through any rain on the way to the event.

If you're packing the family, a tire trailer might make sense. They're pretty cheap to get a 4x4 utility trailer ($200?) then you just need the hitch.

Here is a 305 RE71R next to a 285 MP4S.
IMG_3315.jpg

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
My main concern is, with all of that info, will fronts clear if I run a 18x10 or 18x11 with front spacers without having to run wicked camber?
Yes if the offsets of the wheels are in the ranges mentioned. What are the offsets of the wheels you are looking at?

OP
OP

joelw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
I assume you will be competing in CAM? You'll want a 'healthy' amount of camber to preserve your tire wear at the event. In my experience, one autox run is worth about 150 street miles as far as wear goes, fwiw. 2.5 degrees would be close, but not quite enough for autox and its a little more than you'd want on the street, so consider that a compromise, and with the right offsets, extended ARP studs, and 25mm spacers they'll fit in the front fine with 11s and 305s. Just make sure your front toe is zero to minimize wear on the street. Toe will kill tires faster than camber.

A 10/11 staggered wheel setup would not be ideal if you want to autox the car. it will just understeer too much you won't get balanced handling and will be fighting to get it to rotate all the time. If you don't want to worry about being maximally competitive, and you want to save a few bucks, often (but not always) the 10" wide 285 tires are cheaper than 11" wide 305s, plus you don't need spacers and studs to get a rotatable square 10" wide setup. RE71Rs are currently $300 each in 285 and $370 for a 305/30R19.

Me, I'd go 19s (and did), but there are a couple of 18s that will fit over the PP brakes. The problem is the tire selection. The RE71Rs you'd put on 18x11" wheels are pretty short and would make the short gearing on a 15-17 GT even shorter. The Rival S 1.5 in 315/30R19 is a little better diameter, but i hope you don't drive through any rain on the way to the event.

If you're packing the family, a tire trailer might make sense. They're pretty cheap to get a 4x4 utility trailer ($200?) then you just need the hitch.

Here is a 305 RE71R next to a 285 MP4S.
IMG_3315.jpg
Need to keep tire at or under 285 to compete in Street modified. Was totally bummed to see them get rid of the pony class. I ended up buying Apex EC7 19x10 +40 with 275/40/19 Conti CSC5 280tw. Really wanted to stick with the same height as stock, and the 285-35-19 seemed shorter based on what I researched. The gears are SO short already. Well see how this set goes, may end up trailering to events, with more agressive setup and run a RE71R 285/35 next time. Well see how it goes for this year.
Sponsored