Sponsored

When do you need to upgrade head bolts

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I already have installed CAI, charge pipes, intercooler. Purchased NX2 turbo, turbosmart WGA tune+, I know I am gonna need an access 3 tuner with custom tune and proper spark plugs. (anything elses?) Buying parts slowly.

When I ask for tune, set up it will be conservative 350-375. At what point will upgraded headbolts and gasket be suggested
Sponsored

AnasB^ECO

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anas
Vehicle(s)
EcoBoost - PP2018
Downpipe would need to be replaced also.

The main issue with these engines is the block itself. It won't hold too much power ( could crack).. also the pistons, rods are known to break under higher boost/power.. so don't think gaskets, headbolts would provide any benefit unless you got with a built engine..

Hinzel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
from what i've been reading, multiple people seem to have had success with just doing the head studs as long as they aren't looking for more than 400 - 425 whp (with the supporting bolt on mods of course)

i'm in the same boat as OP. i could either pay the $$ and have the head studs done, as i'm cool with the above figures, or just wait it out on the factory block until i'm ready to build the bottom end. problem is that it's reasonably expensive and i don't feel like doing it myself

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I had planned on catted downpipe, forgot to list that.

So if I stay at a reasonable 350-375 rhp do you think upgraded head studs are not needed? Seems people do that on tunes, with stock headbolts.

Hinzel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost

So if I stay at a reasonable 350-375 rhp do you think upgraded head studs are not needed? Seems people do that on tunes, with stock headbolts.
those figures are well within safe ranges from everything that i've read

Sponsored

Deleted member

Thats right at the power level im running on my E30 tune, 71k on her now. 53K of it has been tuned and full bolt on. I commute 100 miles a day and haven't any issues. Biggest things to do to keep this motor alive no matter what power/boost levels your running IMO....

1. Warm that sucker up, should be common sense but don't get into boost until that oil is up to temp. 170*+
2. Downshift! Don't lug this motor, i don't get heavy on the throttle at all in 5th or 6th and 2-4 always make sure the revs are up 3k+
3. The obvious catch can and frequent oil changes, again I'm not an expert or an engineer but i believe that Ford is out of their minds recommending a high boost, high hp and direct injected four cylinder have its oil changed every 10k miles. I do every 5k 5w-40 rotella synthetic.

Im sure most of this is common sense, but ive heard too many people ask why their motor blew up when they floored it 6th gear lol.

Again 53k miles full bolt on and she runs like a champ, not a engineer. Just what I've learned from my experience.

BoostedMTBer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Eh, currently in the process of building a motor and it's a PITA. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-w-2-0-fusion-shortblock.121209/#post-2530604
been doing this write up to pass the time waiting for parts to come in, but I included a bunch of info on the 2.3 block.
basically as everyone else here has said, just keep it as is. The protuners say 400hp is the limit for the stock block.
Do some tasteful upgrades that will get you to 350-375 whp. I'd recommend the following set up:
airaid intake tube w/ drop in filter, turbosmart wga, IC, upr dvcc, ngk plugs, dp & cobb w/ protune (run e30 if you can- it has many benefits for these engines)

from there if you want MORE POWA or you are one of the unlucky folks that has a weak block that cracks, it would be time to look into a built 2.0TS shortblock

OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Eh, currently in the process of building a motor and it's a PITA. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...-w-2-0-fusion-shortblock.121209/#post-2530604
been doing this write up to pass the time waiting for parts to come in, but I included a bunch of info on the 2.3 block.
basically as everyone else here has said, just keep it as is. The protuners say 400hp is the limit for the stock block.
Do some tasteful upgrades that will get you to 350-375 whp. I'd recommend the following set up:
airaid intake tube w/ drop in filter, turbosmart wga, IC, upr dvcc, ngk plugs, dp & cobb w/ protune (run e30 if you can- it has many benefits for these engines)

from there if you want MORE POWA or you are one of the unlucky folks that has a weak block that cracks, it would be time to look into a built 2.0TS shortblock
Thanks for suggestions, I have already purchased CAI intercooler and charge pipes, along with NX2 to be installed with DP and tune

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
Arguably the most important preventative maintenance measure you can make with these engines is to change the oil every 3500 miles with a quality full synthetic having the API SN plus specification. Like a machine. Oil dilution from fuel is high on EcoBoost motors. Nothing will snap a rod or lift a head faster than pre-ignition.
Sponsored