Sponsored

2016 mustang gt upgraded but feeling slow!? Anyone else?

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
It's plenty fast just stock. The problem is a lot of people are just plain spoiled.

I wouldn't say spoiled, I would lean towards getting use to the stock power. This is why guys out there pushing 800-900+ whp always looking for more after a while. It happens.
Sponsored

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Yeah, based on all the hype over on the FP Power Pack thread, I WAS expecting a night and day "Rocket-ship" difference installing the FPP2. Driving for a week now and Meh! My first response was "maybe the tune didn't work", but I'd be throwing codes all over if that was the case. So off to the strip on Sunday to get some real numbers compared to same time last year. Looking to best 12.80

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Same here only no tickets. It is our DD and it is plenty fast enough for us. I wish it had more low end grunt but it’s good enough. I will say the main reason we got it was we wanted a convertible V8. Had Dodge made a vert Challenger we would have got one of those. Maybe like this?

F7C5DCCE-CFF5-4ECE-8996-E2CFEA6A58B3.jpeg
I would have definitely got a Challenger ragtop over the Mustang (sorry Fanboys!)

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
I would have definitely got a Challenger ragtop over the Mustang (sorry Fanboys!)
And there is the answer you seek...... right before your eyes.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
And there is the answer you seek...... right before your eyes.
The mustang and the challenger have two completely different personalities. I have both. While the challenger is an excellent modern version of a classic muscle car, the mustang while still qualified as a muscle car has a different motorsports capabilities and lends itself well to track duty. The challenger is a BEAST. It's burly, its classic, beautiful and In 2019 I couldn't imagine a car I'd rather go down the 1320 with than a purple 1320 challenger. On the other hand I couldn't imagine a better car for me to be doing a track day than a Mustang. Either can do both well, but that's my opinion.

Sponsored

EMonday

Project Hell-Hound
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
That was one of my concerns but everywhere i have been, i did not find ethanol. However, i DO agree with you on octane boosters. I would normally not even get into that because they rarely do anything but after a discussion with VMP and seeing dyno results on Boostane, i decided to give it a shot. We will see how it goes.
I have a 17 GT PP, here are my ENGINE mods as follows.

- GT350 Manifold
- Ford Performance 47lb Injectors
- BBK 85mm TB
- TB Spacer (Airaid)
- GT350 JLT CAI (More Flow then GT option)
- Shaftmasters DS
- SR Performance Coil Packs
- NGK plugs
- High Performance MAF Sensor
- 1 3/4” Longtubes/ Cat Delete
- Comp Cams Stage 3’s
- Corsa Extreme exhaust
- nGauge & Lund Racing FLEX fuel tune & a dedicated E85 Race Tune(More Torque)

Car sits at 490 RWHP on E85. If I stepped up to a CJ I’d be around 515 RWHP only reason I didn’t was because of the harsh NVH caused from motor mounts. I’d recommend doing some of these things tho if you want a mean NA street car.
D38416BC-27EA-425D-ACBE-7E69CF74ABC8.jpeg

Last edited:

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Upgrade injectors and switch to ethanol. I'm running a jlt intake and my 91 tune from Lund had no noticable gains. After finishing tuning on ethanol it's a world of difference. If you dont want to switch to corn then make sure your gassing up at shell. Before I switched I noticed my car was definitely quicker when running shell gas. Their quality out here in Az is better than anywhere else I've found.
A slight sidebar to the thread, but I always ran Shell or 76 here in Kalifornia. Then I took a tour of the big refinery in El Segundo [next to LAX] and the tour guide who has been working there for 35 years told us that the gasoline suppliers all consider the product a commodity and trade it back and forth: it is all made to the same specs so it is interchangeable and if one refinery is shut down for maintenance, they just get the gas at another one. So I asked about the 'additives' all the ads talk about. He said it is poured into the tanker trucks as they drive out of the refinery, so it could be a quart or a bit more, in a 5000 or 7000 gallon load. Now I buy my 91 octane gas at the supermarket.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
My personal experience and two cents. Initially I did just a Lund 93 tune and JLT CAI. I immediately noticed better throttle response and low end torque. It also felt (butt dyno) faster. Not supercharger faster but I did notice an appreciable difference. After installing Corsa Extreme cat backs no real change was noticed. Later I did a GT350 intake manifold and LU47 injector swap with a Lund remote Flex tune with WOT shift point at 7,800 rpm. I really noticed a difference with those mods. Just the manifold/injector swap took 4/10ths off my quarter mile and I picked up 3.5 mph. You should notice an appreciable difference doing a tune/manifold swap.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
A slight sidebar to the thread, but I always ran Shell or 76 here in Kalifornia. Then I took a tour of the big refinery in El Segundo [next to LAX] and the tour guide who has been working there for 35 years told us that the gasoline suppliers all consider the product a commodity and trade it back and forth: it is all made to the same specs so it is interchangeable and if one refinery is shut down for maintenance, they just get the gas at another one. So I asked about the 'additives' all the ads talk about. He said it is poured into the tanker trucks as they drive out of the refinery, so it could be a quart or a bit more, in a 5000 or 7000 gallon load. Now I buy my 91 octane gas at the supermarket.
Correct. In 2018 there were only 135 on line gasoline refineries in the US. I have done some consulting for Exxon and worked in their refineries. They produce a specific octane product. The additives are added later for specific gasoline brands. But it all comes from the same place.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Yeah, based on all the hype over on the FP Power Pack thread, I WAS expecting a night and day "Rocket-ship" difference installing the FPP2. Driving for a week now and Meh! My first response was "maybe the tune didn't work", but I'd be throwing codes all over if that was the case. So off to the strip on Sunday to get some real numbers compared to same time last year. Looking to best 12.80
So I did 3 pulls on Sunday and its good news/bad news. Good news is all three pulls were 12.73 and 110 mph. the bad is I would have expected more than a .07 second boost. While the shifting IS better, I probably would not invest in it again. And NO, I'm not going any further with upgrades (Lund or otherwise). I'll just be happy how it is as my Summer daily driver.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
So I did 3 pulls on Sunday and its good news/bad news. Good news is all three pulls were 12.73 and 110 mph. the bad is I would have expected more than a .07 second boost. While the shifting IS better, I probably would not invest in it again. And NO, I'm not going any further with upgrades (Lund or otherwise). I'll just be happy how it is as my Summer daily driver.
So you had an aftermarket (Ford Performance) tune and you switch to Lund and only get a small improvement so you're unhappy? I'm not really sure what you were expecting. There's only so much you can do tuning on a basically stock NA car.

MX5Racer

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.rixclix.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
So you had an aftermarket (Ford Performance) tune and you switch to Lund and only get a small improvement so you're unhappy? I'm not really sure what you were expecting. There's only so much you can do tuning on a basically stock NA car.
No, that's not it. I went from stock to FPP2 and only got small improvement. I only mentioned NOT going to another tune to possibly quell the onslaught of the SUGGESTIONS to go to one. I can hear it now: "You should go with (insert any other tuner name here)". From what I've been reading the FPP2 IS a conservative tune (I didn't think it would be THAT conservative) and ones like Lund would be more aggressive. Hopefully others can use my experience to decide skipping the FPP tunes. For me, I'm done. I drag twice a year at a show called Muscle Palooza, and don't want to go down that vortex that put my old man in the poor house!

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
No, that's not it. I went from stock to FPP2 and only got small improvement. I only mentioned NOT going to another tune to possibly quell the onslaught of the SUGGESTIONS to go to one. I can hear it now: "You should go with (insert any other tuner name here)". From what I've been reading the FPP2 IS a conservative tune (I didn't think it would be THAT conservative) and ones like Lund would be more aggressive. Hopefully others can use my experience to decide skipping the FPP tunes. For me, I'm done. I drag twice a year at a show called Muscle Palooza, and don't want to go down that vortex that put my old man in the poor house!
Oh, I'm sorry. I misunderstood. Your experience seems to confirm what my suspicions were. Nothing wrong if you don't want to mod further. Enjoy the car how you want to I say.

OP
OP
JaymesLannan

JaymesLannan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt
I have a 17 GT PP, here are my ENGINE mods as follows.

- GT350 Manifold
- Ford Performance 47lb Injectors
- BBK 85mm TB
- TB Spacer (Airaid)
- GT350 JLT CAI (More Flow then GT option)
- Shaftmasters DS
- SR Performance Coil Packs
- NGK plugs
- High Performance MAF Sensor
- 1 3/4” Longtubes/ Cat Delete
- Comp Cams Stage 3’s
- Corsa Extreme exhaust
- nGauge & Lund Racing FLEX fuel tune & a dedicated E85 Race Tune(More Torque)

Car sits at 490 RWHP on E85. If I stepped up to a CJ I’d be around 515 RWHP only reason I didn’t was because of the harsh NVH caused from motor mounts. I’d recommend doing some of these things tho if you want a mean NA street car.
D38416BC-27EA-425D-ACBE-7E69CF74ABC8.jpeg
This is super helpful and just up my lane of what im looking for! I dont want to do forced induction but i love the little by little mods i can do without ripping my wallet apart. I personally think long tubes and cams would be the bulk of my gains. I have been back and forth in my head so much on headers but emissions testing keeps getting in my head and in my way. Are you not worried about passing when the time comes? BTW, those are some AMAZING numbers man. Seriously an absolute BEAST of a stang for n/a. Great job

EMonday

Project Hell-Hound
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Erick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
This is super helpful and just up my lane of what im looking for! I dont want to do forced induction but i love the little by little mods i can do without ripping my wallet apart. I personally think long tubes and cams would be the bulk of my gains. I have been back and forth in my head so much on headers but emissions testing keeps getting in my head and in my way. Are you not worried about passing when the time comes? BTW, those are some AMAZING numbers man. Seriously an absolute BEAST of a stang for n/a. Great job
All in all man I highly recommend doing the cams there’s a few options out there it’s really just about where you want the power band to hit and while your in there I’d do Billet OPG & Crankgear from MMR to be on the safe side. I absolutely love how this car performs its perfect in all ways I wanted to do a Whipple but I just can’t bring myself to spring 9k for the unit and that’s not even including if I have it installed. I think you’ll be happy going this same route as well. You won’t be sorry! As far as emissions where I choose to register it I don’t have to worry about emissions
Sponsored