Sponsored

Could the 2018/19 S550 5.0 “rattle” be....

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here’s an interesting post from another M6G member that has a 6R80 and had a rattle - it too turned out to be the spacer plate and he posted his solution.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/6r80-vibration-at-flex-plate.100908/

So I’d advise anyone who is hearing a metallic “rattle” to safely jack up and support their vehicle - start it, let it idle in neutral and see if the source of the “rattle” is coming from the lower trans area.... this seems to be a very common issue.
Sponsored

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Here’s an interesting post from another M6G member that has a 6R80 and had a rattle - it too turned out to be the spacer plate and he posted his solution.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/6r80-vibration-at-flex-plate.100908/

So I’d advise anyone who is hearing a metallic “rattle” to safely jack up and support their vehicle - start it, let it idle in neutral and see if the source of the “rattle” is coming from the lower trans area.... this seems to be a very common issue.
My rattle is not from the trans. There is a trans rattle, but it only happens when cold and I have to hold the shifter to the side in first or second gear while driving. The engine rattle is completely different, and happens in all gears. Different sounds, even though they are both rattles.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
So far, I am not concerned about mine. At 7800 miles, mine also makes a gurgle/flutter noise for a brief moment in gear from 2000-2500 RPM, depending on load. Operating the AC compressor dampens it a little bit. Can be reproduced with very light feathering the throttle over the same RPM range in neutral. As the engine passes through the load/no load state (very light touch on the throttle) you can hear the noise briefly. Sound does not vary much with temperature. Removing the sound tube quietened it some (amazing how much noise from the inside of the engine is transmitted back up through the plastic intake manifold).

To summarize the descriptions I can find, the sound is temperamental, and anything that comes and goes like this (maybe depending on humidity and possibly even the phase of the moon), doesn't worry me much, but I would be curious to know the exact cause. I'm fairly certain that mine is engine internals and, based on past experience, seems to be piston noise. On the other hand, engine uses almost no oil and screams all the way to 7700 RPM - the car absolutely flies, so whatevs. As long as it keeps doing these two things, it's a keeper. Trying Mobil-1 10W-30 this weekend (Currently valvoline 5W-20), so if it's any quieter I'll let y'all know.

I don't mind a little mechanical noise, actually haha. Let's me know that it's not a sewing machine motor with a. rubber band drivetrain under there. With all the moving parts in these engines, it's a miracle they are as quiet as they are.

Last edited:

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
Well... My 18 has 6000 miles on it and I hadn't thought much about the rattle until last night when I finally heard my car doing it. It has had the "tick" on cold starts but that didn't really bother me..

Coasting through a parking lot last night my car had a clear rattle (sounded like metal on metal) coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. It was TERRIBLE sounding. My wife (who never notices shit like this) was like what is that sound? Revving from 1800 to 2200 there was a clear rattle... When we started the car back up it was fine. This morning it didn't make the sound either.

Hopefully it doesn't get worse but we shall see. In the meantime, it's still going to get sent. I didn't install that blower for nothing!

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Well... My 18 has 6000 miles on it and I hadn't thought much about the rattle until last night when I finally heard my car doing it. It has had the "tick" on cold starts but that didn't really bother me..

Coasting through a parking lot last night my car had a clear rattle (sounded like metal on metal) coming from the passenger side of the engine bay. It was TERRIBLE sounding. My wife (who never notices shit like this) was like what is that sound? Revving from 1800 to 2200 there was a clear rattle... When we started the car back up it was fine. This morning it didn't make the sound either.

Hopefully it doesn't get worse but we shall see. In the meantime, it's still going to get sent. I didn't install that blower for nothing!
Weird.....that sounds like a different issue from what I was describing. That’s got to be chain tensioner or phasers or something that gets intermittently “stuck” for it to appear and go away like that. Interested in whether it ever comes back, please let us know.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
About a 50% reduction in engine noise after 10W-30 as expected.

Last edited:

jmcdermotthn2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Performance Package
2018 PP! Manual - have both the tick and rattle which started after 500 miles. Installed a MGW shifter / H pipes and it drives like a totally different car. No more 3rd gear lockout. Next mod is the JLT COI / tune and removing the sound tube. The sound tube does not help (one of the techs mentioned that). Also, I had taken it to 2 ford dealerships and got nowhere - "sound is normal". Waste of time. I am enjoying the car now - period.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Welp, thanks to this thread, I got under this afternoon and took a look. Mine appears to be absolutely solid. I have the 2K rattle and it is a 6sp.
D9F3D7E8-20C8-418C-AAE8-C788A2314D23.jpeg
1E5F7B0A-E34C-421D-A5AE-819586BBA67D.jpeg

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I have the decel rattle on mine and I have the A10.
That sounds exactly like the Borg Warner cam phaser issues on 2018+ F-150s. The A10 can also make that ratcheting noise, but does it immediately after accelerating the engine, not clearly after it's decelerating, like the cam phasers. Now, that cam phaser decelerating rattle is normal when engine is cold, but not when hot. I thought my truck didn't have it, but it did; it was just that my driving wasn't conducive to it. When I tried to duplicate it, it was there. Ford changed the ECU so that the engine didn't do it in N, but only in G, and that was late in 2018, so 2019 cars shouldn't do it in N. Curious if your car was in N on that video, and if engine was cold or hot. If in N and hot, it could be the tranny then, but nobody knew what it was when I traded the truck for the Bullitt. Oh, and our Coyotes have Borg Warner exhaust cam phasers. My 3.5EB had all 4.

Going back to the 2K+ rattle, of course my car has it too, and cold or hot (but less loud hot), so I'm very curious what it is. But if I put the exhaust on quiet, and stereo off, I can hear it all the time. In sport, even with stereo off, I can hardly hear it, so it doesn't bother me that much audibly... but bothers me that it's there all the time, and not knowing what it is :).
Sponsored