Back To Stock Intake

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Waiting to watch the OEM 18 intakes go up in price now. If you see one for sale in the classifieds section and you're considering one, I'd jump on it. A lot going for cheap with people going FI.
Do you think an Air Raid tube plus the 18 intake with drop in will be a step up from the JLT you have ?
Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Do you think an Air Raid tube plus the 18 intake with drop in will be a step up from the JLT you have ?
No need for the Airaid tube since that's actually smaller than the stock 18 one I believe. I'll probably lose a little bit on the top end in trading out for better IAT's overall and smoother drive-ability. I get that low rpm dip from the cone filter that many have an issue with when pulling up to a stop. Doesn't bother me though unless my car continuously died on me.

I do like the JLT when I'm moving, but the idle IAT and the rpm dip are really my only gripes.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
More like... Open intake with hood down = almost zero gains.
The awesome sound they make is them sucking $350 out of your wallet for @ 1 HP.
But hey, they look cool when you're at cars & coffee.
I've heard this mentioned many times. Folks say on the dyno there will be no gain with the open CAI if you keep the hood down during the pull. Here is the problem I have with that logic:

In the real world, the car is moving which means colder air is flowing into the engine bay and into the airbox. If you decide to close the hood while on the dyno with an open CAI in an attempt to eliminate other factors, you are actually placing the open CAI at a severe disadvantage vs. the obviously superior closed box intake in this instance. So I would argue that by doing this, you would be skewing the dyno test in favor of the closed box intake. That's not a good test because it doesn't simulate real-world conditions anyhow. Keeping the hood open on both pulls would be a more even comparison.

Cars are meant to be driven, which means air is almost always flowing through the grille and airbox. Now, if you are just sitting there idling and letting it heatsoak, there is no argument that the timing will get pulled as you come off the line. But even then I would argue that that effect is decreased or deminished completely once the car gets up to speed. A cars performance should measured over all conditions, not just the first one or two seconds coming off the line. On a road course or on a backroad, this argument would be completely moot anyway.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I bet in some 55 degree air no question a tuned open air (jlt) intake would surpass a tune only car. Sitting at a stop for 5 minutes in 95 degree air the advantage quickly dissipates. :).

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I bet in some 55 degree air no question a tuned open air (jlt) intake would surpass a tune only car. Sitting at a stop for 5 minutes in 95 degree air the advantage quickly dissipates. :).
And the 95 degree air wont go away with the stock intake either. It will just heat soak less quickly. But again, the disadvantage you're talking about goes away quickly after you start moving.

I think the main thing here is that the 18 stock intake is much larger than the previous cars. So it might make sense to give up the slight increase in mass airflow of the open cone filter intakes in favor of the stock closed intake in order to keep IAT lower.

Sponsored

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I guess what I take issue with is blanket statements like: "You've just spent $350 for nothing with your stupid hot air intake" (just an example)

It's possible if you are a drag racer and spent lots of time static and idling waiting to go, I could see that. But then who is to say you wouldn't make up some or all of the disadvantage on the big end later down the pass? (Especially since the ideal method is to shift past peak power for the next gear i.e. power under the curve, which is at very high RPM, which is also where the larger filter element and larger MAF size has less restriction and capability to produce more hp).

On a back road or on a track or road course, the heat soak is a non-factor because you're moving and IAT will be very close to ambient. The additional airflow stands to be capable of making more power, especially at high RPM where it is needed. That's what most of the open CAIs do. They have a larger filter element and a larger MAF size. They help the engine to breathe at very high RPM where the stock airbox/panel filter reaches its restriction. And as you add additional mods the gains can build by freeing up things down the line. But, again I would concede that the larger stock intake in 18-19 cars probably makes this less relevant as there is likely less of a restriction as you might have seen in previous gens. Lest we forget - the Coyote engine makes its bacon at high RPM. It's always going to be a high rpm deal. That's just the kind of engine it is.

I guess my point is this - it depends on your application and other factors. Blanket statements usually don't work in all cases. And it's also easy to have confirmation bias depending on which side you're on.

I'll leave it with this - I guess Ford was stupid to put an open filter element on the GT350? Why would they do that on speciality performance car if it made it slower? Just something to consider. Obviously that doesn't prove anything, but something I think is worth mentioning.

Last edited:

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
And the 95 degree air wont go away with the stock intake either. It will just heat soak less quickly. But again, the disadvantage you're talking about goes away quickly after you start moving.

I think the main thing here is that the 18 stock intake is much larger than the previous cars. So it might make sense to give up the slight increase in mass airflow of the open cone filter intakes in favor of the stock closed intake in order to keep IAT lower.
Bingo. In that same 95 degree heat my 18 never went over 121. My 14 with cobra jet jlt was 145-148. Heat is heat.

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Anyone try the new steeda closed air intake? Thinking of switching from PMAS to that.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
I wish someone would make a nice plexi cover for us JLT guys to use in the summer.

Sponsored
OP
OP
NoVaGT

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
After a week or so of being back to the stock CAI and regular 93R tune, I'm pretty happy.

IATs are down, the car idles much smoother, the low RPM grunt is improved, and I feel no loss of power based on my butt-dyno. What's missing is the intake sound, but I can live without it.

The other thing I noticed, is that the IATs not only stay lower, but they rise slower, and cool off faster once you get out of the traffic and get moving.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
After a week or so of being back to the stock CAI and regular 93R tune, I'm pretty happy.

IATs are down, the car idles much smoother, the low RPM grunt is improved, and I feel no loss of power based on my butt-dyno. What's missing is the intake sound, but I can live without it.

The other thing I noticed, is that the IATs not only stay lower, but they rise slower, and cool off faster once you get out of the traffic and get moving.
I've got my Airaid sitting next to my stock 18 intake. Both tubes look almost identical in size. The only real difference between the two is a cone filter and the non accordian tube to the TB versus the flat panel filter and carbon trap on the stock one. IAT's are literally the same between both. The Airaid gives you that intake growl while stock does not.

I've got an aFe dry filter on the way. I guess it's going to come down to driveability for me. My car has died a few times at low speed rolling up to stoplights. I'm told it's the JLT cone style filter. My car also died while logging with the Steeda closed intake too. I think the 120-121mm tube might have something to do with it.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Anyone try the new steeda closed air intake? Thinking of switching from PMAS to that.
Not a bad setup as long as you aren't gonna want to run a flex tune. Straight e or straight gas are fine. During my testing when it first came out I did find it pulled harder in the mid range than stock on 91 but not being able to run flex was a no go for me personally.

Been back on stock for many months, perfect maf signal, able to run flex and iats are manageable.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Does the JLT have that section that connects to the intake snorkel that itself connects to the front bumper where it gets fresh cool air from? The same spot the Velossa goes to amplify the effect.

I ask because I've got a LIvernois Severe WIndstorm CAI sitting in the basement (same as the Airaid with the wider diameter option) and it has that snorkel. Been thinking of re-installing it and the appropriate tune to compare to my stock intake with AFE panel filter.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Does the JLT have that section that connects to the intake snorkel that itself connects to the front bumper where it gets fresh cool air from? The same spot the Velossa goes to amplify the effect.
Yes, the JLT comes with the snorkel.

I added some 2" foam to the top of my JLT "box" so that it seals with the hood. My IAT's stay within 3-4F during cruising, at idle it will raise 20-25 over ambient and starts dropping as soon as I get moving. I have headers as well, which I do believe increases underhood temperatures quite a bit. Also, timing doesn't start to get pulled until around 140F IAT or so.
Sponsored