Cooled seats not cooling

jasduke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Performance Package PP-3
How soon till this is ready? Just ordered a RSD kit from CM Components during their sale and am about to pull the front seats when it comes in. Have the Darko mod going in at the same time.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just an FYI (and I’ve posted it before) - there were other Ford products with the same issue where the upper seat back was not cooling, specifically the Lincoln’s. Ford did release a TSB for them where the “fix” was to do a software update.

The software update must reclock the performance of the TED.

So if anyone has Forscan, see if you can find the controllers or data points for the TEDs and see if you can “bump” the speed setting.

Last edited:

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
So will this new solution require the Darko mod (whatever that is - I’ll search it) or will it work on its own?

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
Just an FYI (and I’ve posted it before) - there were other Ford products with the same issue where the upper seat back was not cooling, specifically the Lincoln’s. Ford did release a TSB for them where the “fix” was to do a software update.

The software update must reclock the performance of the TED.

So if anyone has Forscan, see if you can find the controllers or data points for the TEDs and see if you can “bump” the speed setting.
I think with the mustang it's an issue of the heat has no where to go. And the peltier device is getting heat soaked due to lack of a large heatsink / seat vents.

Peltier devices are pretty lame unless they have some AC actually blowing across the device to help it along or a very large heatsink and powerful fan. They are very limited in their ability to remove heat at least in the mustangs situation.

I'd like to see some real world data using a flir thermocam on these before / after. If they work well whoever designs / sells a legit kit would be up to make a pretty penny just from this forum.

If your near Toronto I'd be happy to use my flir cam to help.

Last edited:

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
I was wondering the same thing and no one ever said they had tried it. I am assuming the console is best route, but console seems to be poorly insulated and HOT! And then what happens when seat moves forward or back or reclines?
Insulating the tube along the console could be done with simple foam pipe insulation. Compensating for seat motion might be tricky, but other cars do it already. I think maybe even some Fords.

Last edited:

Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
My dealer ordered two new TED's for each seat back...We will see what happens. From what I have read, this will not be the end of this.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
My dealer ordered two new TED's for each seat back...We will see what happens. From what I have read, this will not be the end of this.
Shouldn't the '18 have the most up to date TED's? How loud are the fans on yours?

Jetnoise

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1, 70 Shaker Mach 1 stroker, 1967 F/B 357W, 1968 302 Vert, 4I 85 5.0 B&M Blower
Shouldn't the '18 have the most up to date TED's? How loud are the fans on yours?
You can hear the fans, on setting 1 it's almost not noticeable. Setting three turn up the radio a notch

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
I had the cooled seats on today and the AC on. It's about the only time they actually cool you off. It's just not an efficient system when the interior is warm.

Sponsored

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
I can hear them but no cooling from seat backs. Heat works great at both locations though.

MegaMagneticStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Turbo Mustang all Magnetic
So I tore into my seat a couple of days ago. Learned a few things....

1. The tsb seems to be getting pinched quite a bit by the big plastic flap they put in the back of the seat. So I'll be designing something to go around it to hold it open...

2. The seats are actually some kind of "mesh", if you want to call it that, where the ted outputs hot air... but clearly it's not flow through enough to do anything. It let's plenty of light through, but that seems to be it.

3. There is a bigass piece of plastic that I mentioned. It has a bunch of bigass holes in it, to the that hot air out. But they are so far spaced apart, I doubt they do much unless you get one right over the Ted outlet.

4. The upper ted outlet is more of a scoop looking design that points right at the back of the seat. I'll get pics soon for everyone.

5. Because if the scoop design that I was no aware of, I have to redesign the prototype. The good news, is that I'm hoping to make it clip over the scoop, so you wont have to yank the seat cover all the way up, but rather reach up inside and slide it over the top.

So my apologies for another delay, but its necessary. Pics to come soon. Stay tuned!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Interesting thread linked by M6G Member Chappers:
https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7276

I bring this up, because I’ve been saying that if someone can tap into the TED module via Forscan and adjust the output of the TED fan speed, it may improve the cooling functionality.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Ford definitely turned up the fan speed on the '19's. The air from the TED is a LOT louder now. Never could actually feel the air coming out of the back of the seat though.