Sponsored

Boosted 350's come on in!

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I was excited to be able to got the car back on the dyno and try the new firmware features especially adding timing since I had 10 gallons of 260 GTP (104 octane)
in the tank .

First pull(6) was with 3.75 pulley / +3.2 timing(peak was 21*) and no knock but it only made 722 SAE and barely 500 torque- Much less than it made with old tune 93/boostane(4) but the power curve(and timing ) looked better.

I decided to drop down to a 3.625(7) but it knocked with +3.2 timing . Backing down to +2.4 timing it did not knock and made most power to date(8). I added a can of boostane to the tank and tried again adding +3.2 but it still knocked .

The next day we decided to do back to back pulls starting with zero timing up to 2.4* . No knock with zero and +0.8 but it started knocking with only 1.6 added this time(14) and off course +2.4 also knocked (15).

I then tried a 3.5 pulley (no graph) with zero timing added and saw no knock but zero power gain.

Not really sure what's going on but I am going to pull the cats off to see if that may be the issue(I tested them at ford a few months ago and they were good)

I have decided I am going to do a Lund E85 tune and ordered a return fuel system/ID1300's. Hopefully the whipple tune is the issue and I can get mid 800's at least with the 3.5 pulley.

I am hoping I can get a little more out of the Whipple tune before then though as I have 50 gallons of race gas sitting in my garage. lol
GT350newvsoldtune.jpg
firstday3passes.jpg
GT3503.625( 0-0.8-1.8-2.4).jpg
That is a great running engine. So many people get so hung up on peak numbers. Look at that curve, or lack there of. Flat as a board. That is a nice running engine right there. No severe dips or strange curves or spikes. I think there's a lot to be said about that.
Just be careful with pulleys (see above )

I had pulled down to a 3.5 pulley running Maximal-C16 equivalent or at minimum supreme (112 octane ) after deleting my cats
Multiple dyno pulls - see above - saw some knock with the whipple tune /guardian /adding 0.8 timing on the dyno but zero knock on the street with up to 1.6 added . I wondered if the less than I expected power could be clutch slipping .

Car was running strong and I was just going through the rest of my race gas before the planned switch to E85 /ID1300/triple pumps when I made a pull on the street . - I had been getting some high rpm hesitation /random misfire codes that went away when I switched plugs but then came back without codes -so was getting some logs
Got the hesitation again at about 6500 - when I slowed down car was making some tapping noises I swore were from the valve cover .

Shop pulled the covers and said they could not see anything amiss so they pulled the pan and saw 3 bent rods .

Long block has been shipped to Will@RPG(also whipple ) for breakdown and hopeful diagnosis of why rods bent .

Block may need to be sleeved if PTWA lining is damaged by pistons /altered geometry as can’t be re-homed.

If so then will also upgrade to diamond pistons /Manley GT 350 specific H beams (I may consider I beams) of course since rods are done .
I will also have him of course go through the top end - swap springs and anytime else he recommends

I have a “spare “ engine I was tempted to drop in while I wait but I will have to pay for labor so that would be “ double R&R “
I can put that money towards a mantic clutch .

I may send the “spare engine “ in later for him to go through since it’s never been run /upgrade rods .
Long block shipped off last Friday .
Keeping spare as is for now .
96A697D1-F52F-4821-91F4-545EC6DD489A.jpeg
15A4A07B-0205-4199-9694-C7AB542734AA.jpeg
29D300BA-7CB6-4223-8110-48AE327438CF.jpeg
46EE9AF9-B17A-4365-AE0D-9CC5105951DF.jpeg
291AC9C2-DA00-462E-BD75-4B644DBBD35F.jpeg
Sponsored

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Damn man, hope the build goes well and you get back up and running strong.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
@350Life,

Very interesting place for the ngauge. I guessing you removed the speaker and grill. Nice build indeed.

Ltsrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350r Lightning Blue
So help me out here, maybe I missed something. What's the consensus, ProCharger, Whipple??? What model of ProCharger, is the one for the GT350's? The P1x?
I was at a cars & coffee and heard a GT Mustang pull in and was instantly curious why so much whine coming for the car (I like the cool factor), I thought it was turbo'd, but the car had a ProCharger on it. My mind is pretty much made up to go ProCharger if I were to pull the trigger. So my I'm asking which one is better (Whipple vs ProCharger) and some details of why?

What is reasonable for a simple, reliable (do no harm) install? I have no intention of chasing big numbers but would like some more oomph.
How much weight does this add to the car?
Does ProCharger/Whipple negatively impact running the car on the track (road course)? I'm really enjoying track events and do not want to jeopardize my cars potential on the track, IE: overheating, unimaginable on the track, coughing, choking, puking and unpredictable performance/reliability

I know I've asked lots of questions but am hoping to get some clarity

Thx,
Keith

Sponsored

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
@350Life,

Very interesting place for the ngauge. I guessing you removed the speaker and grill. Nice build indeed.
Im assuming you're talking about me. Yeah, the nGauge is kind of large and I didnt want it on my windshield or in my AC vent. Its only used for tuning and data logging so I didnt need to look at it everyday. Sat in my car for a moment to find a location and that spot was absolutely perfect, so i went to work with wiring and mounting. The black rear mount it comes with helps it fit snug in the hole, no modification was needed for that.

View attachment 365391 View attachment 365392 View attachment 365393
IMG_5188.JPG
IMG_5189.JPG
IMG_5190.JPG
IMG_5206.JPG
IMG_5207.JPG

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
So help me out here, maybe I missed something. What's the consensus, ProCharger, Whipple??? What model of ProCharger, is the one for the GT350's? The P1x?
I was at a cars & coffee and heard a GT Mustang pull in and was instantly curious why so much whine coming for the car (I like the cool factor), I thought it was turbo'd, but the car had a ProCharger on it. My mind is pretty much made up to go ProCharger if I were to pull the trigger. So my I'm asking which one is better (Whipple vs ProCharger) and some details of why?

What is reasonable for a simple, reliable (do no harm) install? I have no intention of chasing big numbers but would like some more oomph.
How much weight does this add to the car?
Does ProCharger/Whipple negatively impact running the car on the track (road course)? I'm really enjoying track events and do not want to jeopardize my cars potential on the track, IE: overheating, unimaginable on the track, coughing, choking, puking and unpredictable performance/reliability

I know I've asked lots of questions but am hoping to get some clarity

Thx,
Keith
I can only speak about the Whipple, but I went that route due to the aesthetics (looks like the whipple came with the car), the A to Z completeness of the Whipple kit, and drive-ability. I get the same gas mileage as I did prior to the kit as well. I mean look at her, that Whipple looks so good under that hood :inlove:. Also since the Gen 4 was just released I knew id be able to hit the numbers I wanted with little effort, she put out nearly 800 whp.

I dont track the car, so thats not something I can comment on. As far as the added weight, I'd say an easy 100 lbs was added on to the front of the car, someone correct me if im wrong. I'll be going with a carbon fiber hood and Steeda K-member to offset some of the added weight. The BMR Chromoly front bumper support shed a few pounds for me.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I just noticed something...that graph is going up to 135 MPH, were those pulls done in 4th? If, so those numbers are low. :devil:
Yeah , 4th . I forgot 1:1 is 5th .4th is 1.24

Thanks for pointing it out . On some of the pulls it barely over 130 mph .
Per Tremec it should have ben about 141 mph @8000 rpm with a stock 27.4 tall tire .

Think the clutch could have been slipping ?
BAA51931-CD5B-4A70-9514-6FBFB8F58696.png

Ltsrock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350r Lightning Blue
Well I thought that I was set on the ProCharger, but......
The new gen5 whipple certainly has my attention. From what I've read, the engine no longer needs to be lowered along with other improvements.

I was not aware that the whipples had a seperate cooling system? Is this something new?
I was very impressed when a friend showed me his HellCat and described the supercharger cooling system. I did not know that the aftermarket systems employed this too????

I'm supercharger newby, is the new gen5 a game changer?

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The new Gen 5 Whipple is definitely interesting. Not having to lower the engine is a plus for sure.

Sponsored

Kobi Addiction

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
The new gen5 whipple certainly has my attention. From what I've read, the engine no longer needs to be lowered along with other improvements.

I was not aware that the whipples had a seperate cooling system? Is this something new?
I was very impressed when a friend showed me his HellCat and described the supercharger cooling system. I did not know that the aftermarket systems employed this too????

Yes, they have their own cooling separate from the engine. You install a heat exchanger (radiator) and tank behind the front bumper along with an optional Spal fan upgrade. I wouldnt call the Gen 5 a game changer, but its more efficient than the last model for sure. They flipped it and the rotor housing is at the bottom and cooling on top. The Gen 4 was released last month, and is basically the last upgrade for the previous design. I picked that one up not knowing when the Gen 5 was going to be released, I definitely didnt know it was going to be this soon. I would have waited for the latest design, but im still very happy and excited with the Gen 4 :inlove:

The new Gen 5 Whipple is definitely interesting. Not having to lower the engine is a plus for sure.
It looks like you still lose your strut bar, but will not need to lower the engine. Honestly though, the lowering of the engine wasnt much at all. It sounds frightening, but switching out the motor mounts was fairly easy tbh, I wouldnt hesitate to do it again if needed. I didnt even notice that it lowered it, to the naked eye I cant even tell :inspect:

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500

whipple is good but has heat soak issues. and yes the cooling system is extra on top of it all but still from a cooling perspective not a good. Also I see a lot of blown up 350's running whipple. no science behind this statement just an observation.

plus, no way id change the dynamics of the handling by lowering the engine or removing the strut brace...

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
lethal performance is now selling GripTEC pulleys for pro chargers. I picked one up the other day; nice piece of kit.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
lethal performance is now selling GripTEC pulleys for pro chargers. I picked one up the other day; nice piece of kit.
I thought the prochargers had a separate belt system on them. Are those slipping ? I also thought these systems used a 8 rib belt.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
I thought the prochargers had a separate belt system on them. Are those slipping ? I also thought these systems used a 8 rib belt.
They’re separate belts and they’re 8 rib. At least the stage 2 kits are... under the right conditions they can slip. My spring tensioner actually went bad causing slip. Before I realized it was that I put the pulley on. Regardless it’s good insurance against slip.
Sponsored