Sponsored

2015+ Anyone break stock driveshaft at the track?

Bigswollnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 Mustang 5.0
Has anyone broke their stock driveshaft at the track? please include details. I have only heard of aftermarket driveshafts breaking.
Sponsored

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
I broke mine but it was after the front mounts on the differential snapped off which caused the cascading failure to the driveshaft. I bought an aftermarket driveshaft to replace it but I couldn't get the vibrations under control so went back to a stock drive shaft. No issues...

OP
OP

Bigswollnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 Mustang 5.0
I broke mine but it was after the front mounts on the differential snapped off which caused the cascading failure to the driveshaft. I bought an aftermarket driveshaft to replace it but I couldn't get the vibrations under control so went back to a stock drive shaft. No issues...
Good to know. Did the front diff mount come off because the diff bolts broke? I upgraded my diff bolts and put poly bushings in to prevent that, so I'm curious.

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good to know. Did the front diff mount come off because the diff bolts broke? I upgraded my diff bolts and put poly bushings in to prevent that, so I'm curious.
No the front arms of the differential housing that mount into the chassis broke completely off the housing. Only the rear cover mounts were able to avoid snapping. The bolts were in great shape :) Keep in mind, this is an aluminum housing and I'm not the first to snap one.

OP
OP

Bigswollnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 Mustang 5.0
No the front arms of the differential housing that mount into the chassis broke completely off the housing. Only the rear cover mounts were able to avoid snapping. The bolts were in great shape :) Keep in mind, this is an aluminum housing and I'm not the first to snap one.
Damn, how much power were you at and how did you launch when that happened?

Sponsored

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn, how much power were you at and how did you launch when that happened?
Around 700 rwhp and in terms of launch, it was as simple as stomping the throttle (automatic car). The track was prepped really good. The run prior to the breakage, I ran a 1.61 60' on Nitto 555R drag radials (3.15 rear gear). This particular run, it bit even harder but snapped.

Tony

OP
OP

Bigswollnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 Mustang 5.0
Around 700 rwhp and in terms of launch, it was as simple as stomping the throttle (automatic car). The track was prepped really good. The run prior to the breakage, I ran a 1.61 60' on Nitto 555R drag radials (3.15 rear gear). This particular run, it bit even harder but snapped.

Tony
Geez, I've never heard of this, what did you do to fix it and prevent it for next time? Now I'm worried about mine lol. I'll have around that HP in a few weeks and basically the same setup.

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Geez, I've never heard of this, what did you do to fix it and prevent it for next time? Now I'm worried about mine lol. I'll have around that HP in a few weeks and basically the same setup.
I bought an iron diff housing from Ford with a 3.55 gear already setup and installed it. The iron housing won't snap. I also upgraded the mounting bolts to 12.9 hardware from Steeda as the bolts are now the weakest link. So far so good, car has made several passes without incident.

I think Steeda makes a brace for the aluminum housings to avoid snapping the front mounting arms off now which wasn't available before I broke mine. I'd go that route to preserve the 3.15 gears/aluminum housing.

Tony

OP
OP

Bigswollnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 Mustang 5.0
I bought an iron diff housing from Ford with a 3.55 gear already setup and installed it. The iron housing won't snap. I also upgraded the mounting bolts to 12.9 hardware from Steeda as the bolts are now the weakest link. So far so good, car has made several passes without incident.

I think Steeda makes a brace for the aluminum housings to avoid snapping the front mounting arms off now which wasn't available before I broke mine. I'd go that route to preserve the 3.15 gears/aluminum housing.

Tony
Ok, cool. I'll check out that brace. Thanks for the tip.

Rjames18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Orange Fury
I've been doing 1.3x's 60's on my stock driveshaft. Just this past weekend though I broke the U-joints. That was off footbraking. When Transbraking I twisted the axle tube itself.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine isn’t broken but the centre bearing support has lost the plot completely after some hard launches recently.
The only other “failure” I’ve seen first-hand was where old mate had managed to bend all the bolts at the Guibo.
Results will likely vary for the auto guys of course.
For reference, mine was as bad as, if not worse than the one in this video and I couldn’t hear it thumping at all.
Haven’t looked at it since the banging started but it’s safe to say it’s going to be BAD
Sponsored