Sponsored

Who's has the best tunes for a 2018 Mustang GT?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Nope.
You’ll need o2 sensor spacers so you don’t get a check engine light for rear sensor. I used a small one on the front o2s as well since I now run e85 all the time

I ran catless headers for a week prior to tune and had zero issues. I had an ngauge from a prior car and nothing changed from before the long tubes.

Alex and Jon Lund jr feed talked about on a YouTube video Incase you don’t want to take my word for it. the front o2 is a wideband for tuning and the rear (which throws the code without a sensor spacer) is a narrow band. Basically It’s just checking to see if it’s cleaner then at the pre cat o2
You may wish to investigate this further. I don't doubt Alex or Lund but the statement may be with respect to certain brands of LT's. If the lead O2 sensor (the WB) on teh after market LT is placed very close to or in the position of the O2 bung on the factory header there less chance for a CEL condition. However, if the maker places the location of the lead O2 sensor further downstream on the aftermarket header than on the stock header then CEL lights may be generated. There is more to this equation than simply the AFR. The PCM knows the time that it takes for the exhaust to leave a given cylinder and arrive at the sensor. If this does not happen within that time frame misfire conditions can occur. While this is based on book theory (Engine Management - Advanced Tuning by Greg Banish) how it plays out in real world is another thing. That said, I would verify with the guys (Alex, Jon Nardi, and/or Lund II) if the youtube video you reference is with respect to LT setups they have tested and know to work without a tune. As for the rear sensors that can be dealt with as described in an earlier reply.

The lead O2 sensor (on each bank) is not just for monitoring AFR. They also report back which cylinder may be misfiring. As exhaust leaves each cylinder it does so in a wave. The distance that wave has to travel from the exhaust port to the O2 sensor is known by the PCM. The crank trigger establishes/verifies cylinder one so that there is a reference with respect to the firing order. Unburned fuel due to misfire will be seen by the O2 sensor as lean (remember it is detecting O2 not fuel and since the fuel mixture never combusted there is an O2 presence in that specific wave of exhaust associated with that cylinder on given bank). Enough of these and the PCM sees a misfire not from the COP but from exhaust analysis. Unless adaptive learning has advanced further since Banish's book was released, an after market LT with the lead o2 much further downstream could (not would but could) generate a CEL without tune correction based on the theory...READ ON.

Make sure first hand what LT's may be recommended that minimize the need for a tune by a legit tuner like Lund or PBD or VMP.

HEGO's can flake out even with an exhaust leak and generate CEL's. I've had it happen right after a clutch install. However the CEL would only crop up after 2 hours of continuous driving. The exhaust leak at the cat was causing a lean condition on the aft O2 over time. You could reset it and it would stay gone until the car was on an extended trip and then it would pop up again. Reseating the flange between the header adn cat pipe (2013 model) resolved the problem.

I'm not seeking to start a firestorm here. What I am doing is trying to assure that there has not been something left out of the statement that ends up costing someone money after buying any old cheap set of LT's, throwing them on and then asking why they are getting CEL's when they were told they could do this without a tune on a website based on 2nd hand 411 regurgitated from a youtube video without a link reference.
Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I had Lund on my 2015 and PBD on my 2018. I prefer PBD. I feel they're more thorough. Shouldn't have issues with either.

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
I’m new to this forum but that doesn’t mean I’m just regurgitating info. I was definitely watering down the info in my post as op seemed pretty green. I’ll find the video so you can hear it from Lund jr

Around 22 minutes

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Thanks for posting. Watching currently. Good 411. The newer PCM has a faster processor allowing this along with improved adaptive learning (which is what I was questioning) therefore the car can relearn the change in O2 sensor location. As he stated the older PCM's required having "adaptive o2 transport delay added". I was expecting them to comment on a preferred LT brand that seems to perform best, but they did not. The hitch is however that without cats or even possibly with high flow cats a rear O2 sensor CEL could trigger unless again as mentioned above you relocate the aft sensor to comepnsate OR retune as they mention. Good stuff to know. I was suspecting some of the reading on tuninig I have read and used was becoming possibly antiquated. Learnign this first hand helps. I don't put much reliance on second hand 411. I all too often tell people to source the maker of the product when they have technical questions, or when offering advice I always tell them (in a fact seeking conversation) to not only go on my reference but to get the 411 from the horses mouth as well.

There is no issue with your post count. I don't discern a person based on how much they yack. I simply wanted the meat with the potatoes so to speak. Had your post count been 2,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 I would have still asked for the source. Why? Because it goes against the theory I learned from.

I woman was teaching her daughter one time how to make grandma's awesome Thanksgiving Turkey. At the bottom of the recipe car it said, "Cut right leg off and place along side body". When asked why grandma did this, the mother said, :I don;t know. Grandma always did it this way and it turned out great. So we just do the same thing". What was unbeknownst to both was that the bottom portion of the recipe car had fallen off years before the recipe box was handed down. On the lost portion of the car were the words, "WHEN USING THE SMALL BASTING PAN".

Point? I want first hand 411 when I hear something that contradicts my understanding through study and learning. That is why I asked. Have a great week and thanks again for sharing. .

Furious18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt, 2018 f150 eb 3.5
This I am not sure about but I think the eec-v is from that sn95 era cars.

Sponsored

nate-roth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Ive been very happy with my E85 and 93 tunes with Torrie at Unleashed Tuning. Great tunes with multiple revisions after data logging for driveability to what I wanted in throttle tuning, etc.

He is also extremely reasonable compared to the often mentioned tuners, like less than half as much. $450 used to pay for a full blown tune on a blower car on e85 with a differen't size MAF etc, now all the big name tuners are charging in this range for a 18-19 stock car E85 tune where they don't even have to modify MAF tuning or really dial in fuel trims. Now for $450, they assemble your tune file in less 5 mins have you make a few data logs which with the stock air box are going to require hardly revisions....
Changing the stoich values and timing tables from 93 to E85 is not hard or time consuming. You don't need to spend $450 for an E85 tune for a stock car, food for thought.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
I've got a flex and E54R tune from Lund. Both run great and aggressive. This was my first time messing with E and they have answered close to 100 questions from me with out complaints. They respond extremely quickly and no question has received a sarcastic response. Even though I feel some of my questions where a little stupid but I wanted to be sure I know how this all works. I would definitely use them again next time.

stangman638

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 Velocity Blue
I had 2 different tunes on 2 different cars and 2 different experiences.

Lund Flex /E85 - Solid tune, no issues so far, no revisions on the tune needed.

PBD 93OCT - Felt aggressive and had to mix in 100 octane cam 2 with 93oct to ensure no knock, IMO they push it a bit to much, to the point where I would worry if what gas station could be used to fill up.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Shaun @ AED did my LTH and flex tunes. Great service. Great performance. Extreme attention to detail. That said, can't go wrong with Lund or PBD either.

fastblue5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 auto 5.0
I can personally vouch for Lund , Pbd , and ID motorsports , had my 2014 and 2015 tuned by lund and my 2018 by id motorsport , lund and pbd now that i'm boosted i took my car to pbd and car feels solid with no drive ability issues .

Sponsored

18 Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT PP1 400a
As long as everyone is throwing it out there. Shaun@AED did my NA tune on my 18. I had used a couple of others with pretty shitty service. (Not PBD or Lund). His service is excellent and car made good, safe power. The shop that installed my Whipple/Fore setup, uses Rob@PBD only on their Ford applications. Everything looked great on the logs and it made 750/640 on 93 and 871/720 on E85

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Ive been very happy with my E85 and 93 tunes with Torrie at Unleashed Tuning. Great tunes with multiple revisions after data logging for driveability to what I wanted in throttle tuning, etc.

He is also extremely reasonable compared to the often mentioned tuners, like less than half as much. $450 used to pay for a full blown tune on a blower car on e85 with a differen't size MAF etc, now all the big name tuners are charging in this range for a 18-19 stock car E85 tune where they don't even have to modify MAF tuning or really dial in fuel trims. Now for $450, they assemble your tune file in less 5 mins have you make a few data logs which with the stock air box are going to require hardly revisions....
Changing the stoich values and timing tables from 93 to E85 is not hard or time consuming. You don't need to spend $450 for an E85 tune for a stock car, food for thought.
My '18 GT is the 3rd car Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning has taken care of. He is extremely thorough. Reads and revises data logs for free, and as long as you want. His prices are the best in the business too! For the GT and my Fiesta ST he gave me the E85 and E30 tunes for free all I had to do is by my BDX and my X4 thru him. He answers emails at all hours of the day and night (I swear I doubt he sleeps much) and I stay in contact with him and he still gives me great advice. I'm very loyal to Torrie, for good reason, he's also the first tuner to ever get 300+ wheel hp out of an Ecoboost ST (Focus back in late 2013). You want the best? Well he is the best. Now if it weren't for that, and my loyalty, I think from what I see and hear PBD would become my second choice. My A10 GT with Pype's step down catless long tubes, E85 and JLT cai puts down 490, between 490 and 500 wheel and you have a top notch tuner because that's about where you max these n/a A10 cars out at. So in the end, it doesn't matter who you choose as long as you are happy with the price, the service and the power...I just happen to have a tuner who gave me all 3.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Currently a 2016 GT owner with a tune from Unleashed (Torrie), it's awesome - but to stay on topic: I'm looking to move to a MY18 GT and already talked to Torrie about swapping the tune, and upgrading to a Flextune (finally have a couple of local sources for corn ...) and it's very inexpensive, and I know his tunes kick ass so it's a no brainer to use him again :)

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
lund is THE GOAT!!! lots of cars in the 8s now, only 1 other car i believe breaking the 8 second barrier... hit us up with any questions
Sponsored