Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Do you know where in the manual?
  • Avoid long idle periods.

• Do not warm up your vehicle on cold mornings.

This is on Page 188 in 2017 Mustang Owner's manual in the section Driving Hints Economical Driving just after the Break-in chapter. I hope this helps.

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
  • Avoid long idle periods.

• Do not warm up your vehicle on cold mornings.

This is on Page 188 in 2017 Mustang Owner's manual in the section Driving Hints Economical Driving just after the Break-in chapter. I hope this helps.
I saw that - but warming it up on hot mornings must be OK:giggle:

Ed M

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
I saw that - but warming it up on hot mornings must be OK:giggle:
You betcha! Gotta get that A/C going to cool off the interior before getting in the car.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
That's what I saw as well - But there is the vague recommendation of "Do not warm up your vehicle on cold mornings". Say what?
I think this is the advice of you don't need to warm up your car for 10 minutes on a cold morning. Best to start it, let it idle for a moment or half minute, then drive off, taking it easy until it's warm.

thunderstrike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 6 spd
Wait until the engine oil is at normal operating temperature. This comes must later than when engine temp achieves normal operating range.

Sponsored

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
You want the engine itself to be at operating temp (~200* CHT) before pushing it semi-hard and you want the oil temp to also be in the lower mid section of the graph before going to redline.

The others (diff, trans etc) should be fine by those points also. The biggest thing with the engine is you want all clearances to be expanded to their normal range so you don't have cylinder wall scoring or excessive high oil pressure.
What you just said, to me, explains a lot of the "typewrite tick" and cylinder wall piston slap. Owners not understanding this, getting in a car, brand spankin' new, likely not even properly warmed up, running the shit outta their cars, then having issues that they wanna blame on Ford, or on anyone but their own dumb selves. That's why I say the "coyote tick" is a myth, and when you fight back by saying that, or questioning how well they care for their cars (or the common oil change did it, but they won't admit they likely didn't put enough oil in the engine). Man, this is especially bad with all these idiotic YouTube video makers who all seem to glom onto the latest daily clickbait BS, which a lot of them perpetuated, as a myth, this "typewriter tick" phenomenon, which to me is a made up thing, made up and perpetuated by total idiots, mostly its also just normal DI pump and injector noise, which also makes them newb total idiots, perpetuating crap. Rant over...LOL

CB18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Stingray
To hell with that owners manual. As soon as that engine fires off, right foot all the way down, left foot all the way up.

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
To the people that don't understand warm-up, think about the physics. Metal expands when it gets hot. Everything expands at a different rate if the metals are not the same type and thickness, and if the heat application is not uniform. If you run your engine hard before it is up to temperature, the parts can actually score one another and can create local hot spots.

In the marine diesel world, if you don't let a big diesel warm up before you make hard demands on it, you can cause your VERY expensive diesel to be overhauled VERY quickly. In the big piston aviation world, not letting the engine warm up can cause catastrophic failure.

While it is possible to hit the engine hard before it is warm, it just isn't a very good idea ... that is ... if long engine life is important to you.

What is the usual quote, "run it like you stole it!" That attitude makes a new car into an old one in just a few years. Don't get me wrong, it's YOUR car and you can trash it if you want to, and that's fine. But when I'm still have fun in mine down the road and you are buying a new one or prematurely overhauling yours, I'd say I'm getting a better deal for my money than you are while STILL having some high rpm fun.

Still, as I said, it's your money. Use it like you want to use it ... no particular advice offered. Just some info on metal expansion with temperature. Keep in mind, the best race cars in the world usually have a warm up lap before racing and they also usually take a cool-down lap when the race is done. Military aircraft ALWAYS warm up before launching. Heavy equipment always warms up before starting work. Big diesel trucks warm up before leaving with a load, and they can last several million miles. These people know a thing or two. Just saying. Your Mustang doesn't HAVE to warm up, obviously, but is IS a good idea, mechanically. It is a lot of things, but a waste of gas? No way.

Hobohunter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2007 Audi S4, 2016 Mustang GT/CS (sold)
Your Mustang doesn't HAVE to warm up, obviously, but is IS a good idea, mechanically. It is a lot of things, but a waste of gas? No way.
I'm pretty sure the contention is whether to warm up at idle in the garage/curbside or warm up by keeping RPMs lower while driving. I don't think anyone who responded seriously here are actually starting up and redlining off into the distance immediately.

That being said, I start up and am backing out of the garage within a few seconds and off on my way. Everything warms up together, and even on cold days it's maybe a few minutes of cold cabin to deal with and that's not a big deal.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
I'm pretty sure the contention is whether to warm up at idle in the garage/curbside or warm up by keeping RPMs lower while driving. I don't think anyone who responded seriously here are actually starting up and redlining off into the distance immediately.

That being said, I start up and am backing out of the garage within a few seconds and off on my way. Everything warms up together, and even on cold days it's maybe a few minutes of cold cabin to deal with and that's not a big deal.
I agree its pretty much what I do too. I let the car idle for perhaps 30 seconds to get my sunglasses on and get myself settled. Then I drive the car pretty gently for the next few minutes & after its been running for 5 or 10 minutes while driving I figure its okay to give her a little snap if wanted. I'm still going somewhat easy on my car as it only has about 400 miles or so on it. But it gets a quick romp here and there to remind it of what its intended purpose was when I bought it. :)

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Good rule of thumb: when idle drops to ~1000 rpm, start driving away with reasonable/light load till you're up to temp.

GregP27

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2007 Nissan Titan; 2010 Hyundai Veracruz; 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
Hello Hobohunter, well, that makes large difference. I start up, pull out, and drive away slowly, staying at 2,000 rpm and under until I see normal operating temps. Basically, I "baby" it until it is up to temp.

I assumed "hit it right away" because that was normal for the 2002 Camaro SS I used to have, if you followed the forums. The engine has an aluminum block and always gave better 1/4 mile times if it was a bit cool at the starting line. Hence, most of the younger SS crowd at the time assumed that was better for street driving, too.

Perhaps we have a smarter bunch of younger Mustang drivers in here. I'd like to think so, at any rate!

Cheers!

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I say warm up the engine properly before pushing it to high Rpm limits. [It's car 101]

Most of the possible damage to an engine is when the block and the rotating assembling is not up to a safe temperature. That would include the transmission and the rear differential.

On a cold morning in racing, I would jack you the car and warm the entire drive train including the oil in the rear differential.

On the street, I am always sure that the entire car is very warm before pushing the throttle.

rocky5517

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
sam
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer 67 riviera
I was surprised to see how long the trans temp takes to get into the operating range. you can look at the actual temp, or look at a range of "colors". To get into what I think is good operating range takes a good 10 minutes of driving around, nice and easy. Am I overthinking this?
Sponsored