Tuning with dealer warranty

Reaper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP
I'm thinking of putting headers and cai on my '17 GT but worried about what the dealer will say once I tune the car with an SCT.. will it void anything? Would they refuse my warranty for any parts needing replaced if I do tune it?
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I'm thinking of putting headers and cai on my '17 GT but worried about what the dealer will say once I tune the car with an SCT.. will it void anything? Would they refuse my warranty for any parts needing replaced if I do tune it?
If you have an engine issue they will likely try to point to the tune as a likely cause.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I'd be surprised if they didn't refuse warranty with an aftermarket tune and I would think the headers would be a guarantee of a refusal. The exception would be the Ford Racing tunes that come with the Power Pack kits, they're supposedly warranted if installed by a licenced mechanic. I always expect the dealer to use any thing as an excuse to deny warranty, even stuff like changing your own oil they'll bitch about it.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I'm getting headers soon so I'll have basically the same done to my car but my warr is up in Sept. So unless you got the extended I wouldn't worry about it.

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
It up to dealer discretion. Period. I happen to have a very good relationship with mine, in fact, I've asked them if they'd cover any drivetrain issues I had and the answer was, as long as it wasn't obviously something stupid you did. In the end, the dealership is paid by Ford to do the work, if you aren't a dick about it, and it isn't something obvious (like a nitrous nozzle left on the car, or some monkey under the hood rounding off bolts messing things up, they have no reason to deny a warranty claim. With that said, not everyone's local dealership has a cool service manager who responds well to your honesty about what you've modded on your car already. Its like telling a cop "yes sir, I realize I might have been going a bit too fast." and having him write you a warning instead of a ticket...it happens, and to me, honesty is the very best policy. You think they can't tell you are tuned when something goes wrong and you put the stock tune file back in along with the OE airbox? Think twice. Most people don't realize they also track "key cycles" which is essentially how many times the car has been started. Take it to them, lie and act like you didn't do anything wrong with a car that has 8k miles on it with 2 key cycles and they will know instantly that you not only have fooled with it, but you are also a stone cold liar too...and they will (rightfully so) act accordingly!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Reaper5.0

Reaper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP
I figured as much and having the extended warranty I'll just wait until it's up before messing with the drivetrain. Thanks for the input gents.

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
I figured as much and having the extended warranty I'll just wait until it's up before messing with the drivetrain. Thanks for the input gents.
This is what my plan is. I too have the Ford Premium ESP until 07/09/2023 or 100K.
Sponsored