Sponsored

Any convertibles with factory carbon fiber package?

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
OMG, it has taken about 45 days since signing the PO to now will be picking up my 8K mi, 2018 Vert tomorrow! Carbon fiber and Alcantara, active exhaust, Shaker Pro audio, safe and smart (or whatever it is called) and blackout on white with spoiler delete. My out of state credit union was a nightmare, needing the title in hand before releasing the loan... and the state the car is in is different than where I live. Complete cluster, but decent deal on car ($37K vs. $53K list) with Ford Pre-owned certification with 2.5 years warranty left (after the certification added a year). Descent rate at 3.5% as well. I’m finally making the 8 hour trip tomorrow in a rental, getting the car and then staying the weekend at my brother’s place a further hour out.

Back to the thread theme... I rarely see any threads about the CF package and I’m not sure I’ve seen anyone make mention of it in a Vert. Anybody have it, and what do you think? I’m attracted to real CF over faux brushed aluminum. I try to avoid faux anything wherever possible.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Tseg

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, 1300 miles in the past 2 days and just got home, 1/2 on my new (to me) 2018 vert... just finished washing the bugs off.
  • Carfax showed original owner was "corporate fleet" - Ford HQ Dearborn
  • Even though this does not have a Performance Package it has the GT strut brace installed which is cool (but sucks in that I already had bought one on eBay... I guess I have to flip that)
First impressions:
  • The carbon fiber option is absolute first class - gorgeous and love the Alcantara
  • Adaptive cruise control is AWESOME for serious highway driving
  • Using WAZE through the iPhone connect system was fantastic
  • I had about 7GB of songs on a thumb drive and played them through the USB port with the Shaker Pro - not sure who gives this audio system poor ratings... I find it Baller
  • On day 1 I had 1 1/2 hour drive through windy Pennsylvania and Maryland country roads to get from dealership to my brother's house. It was upper 70's and sunny - I drove with the top down and am now sun burnt... but what an amazing ride!
  • I had some open throttle up mountainside highway pulls and the whole trip home still averaged 28.0 mpg... impressive... much, much better than my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and Jeep Grand Cherokee with a HEMI... both of those don't touch 20 mpg on the highway
  • That rumble is amazing... even though this is not a daily driver for me, I could see how it could be... very comfortable
47877599691_ac69c3bd7e_k.jpg

40911167703_cc784582c1_k.jpg

47877600921_5376cd6644_k.jpg

More people should consider that carbon fiber option.

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
Looks good. I didn’t even know it was an option. I agree with you on the credit union.

Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang MY2019 5.0 V8 Convertible Orange Fury
Totally happy with the carbon/alcantara package. Aluminium is awesome too, just different. As a carbon lover, I had to take this option and it does not look cheap for a cent.
About the Alcantara, I find it great too. Especially on the doors, really nice.

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Carbon trim looks great. What does it include besides the shifter and the dash panel?

Sponsored

Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing else, except the Alcantara.

OP
OP
Tseg

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have to say that Alcantara on the seats and doors are super cozy. I didn’t realize I’d like them as much as I do.

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
Depending on the price, that may be why so few people order it. Many companies sell carbon fiber shifters. There are a couple selling carbon fiber dashboards,center consoles, steering wheels, mirror covers, hood vents, grills, fog light enclosures, decklid, spoiler, valance... and so on. Getting two pieces of carbon fiber hardly seems to qualify to call it a "carbon fiber package" - unless it's relatively inexpensive. Otherwise go full aftermarket. There's nearly everything available in real carbon fiber replacement parts, not stickers or covers.

Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know but the alcantara is in the pack too. And I just found some carbon fiber dashboards for 6G Mustang at 1K$. If you want more parts, it will not be the same price. Look at the price of such complete packages in some other cars (McLaren, GTR etc.).
So, yes, maybe they should include more parts but delete the alcantara and make it another option.

OP
OP
Tseg

Tseg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As my wife was pulling out of our driveway I saw this unusual slit in the top of the dash that seemed to have a row of red lights glowing. Dang if I did not think it was some kind of head's up display. I ran back in the house to look at my pictures and this shot is the only thing I have to show what I'm talking about.

Anyone know what it is?

Edit: I just googled and found out it is the head-on collision warning system.

Sponsored

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
you are a very fortunate man! Long live White Verts!

CVCashmere

trojannemo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Yemil
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible
When the collision warning lights are displayed, the dash will also show you a picture of crashing cars saying collision warning. That's how I figured out what it was after it scared the shit out of me the first time it lit up and started beeping at me.

prj_tchalla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 2.3L Ecoboost Convertible
Yes that is collision warning. It comes as part of the adaptive cruise control package since the adaptive cruise control uses the lidar to keep set follow distanc. That package also includes automatic wipers. By the way, you can adjust the collision detection sensitivity or turn it completely off using the digital dash menu.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, in 2018 there was an option package called Smart and Safe, it included:

Adaptive cruise control & forward collision warning with brake support
Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection and active braking
Automatic high-beam headlamps
BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert
Lane-Keeping System
Rain sensing windshield wipers
Memory feature for driver’s seat, sideview mirrors and ambient lighting

So cars with ACC (Adaptive Cruise) have all the other goodies too, in my '16, ACC was a separate option.

FWIW, in 2019 they moved a few things out of the S&S package (like BLIS and seat memory), and into the 401A option, and dropped the price to $1K from $1495.

I've been shopping cars, and it's easy to see if it has the S&S package from the ACC controls on the steering wheel (obv. it's on the window sticker if available).