Replaced Voodoo Engine

unknown internal failure, oil consumption, blown block, damaged valve train etc.

• Total voters

THE MAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
What you mean by the "one and done" comment? We're heading into year 5 production of the Voodoo engine. In comparison, the Trinity was a 2 year run, the Road Runner was a 2 year run and the Terminator was a 2 year run.
My thoughts on this is that they haven't yet disclosed any reliability issues, even though there is ample proof of there being one. The other engines you've mentioned in your post didn't have as many reported issues. Perhaps this 5.2 engine is the product of forcing improvement of performance in each generation of Mustang whereby reliability is being sacrificed?

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
My thoughts on this is that they haven't yet disclosed any reliability issues, even though there is ample proof of there being one. The other engines you've mentioned in your post didn't have as many reported issues. Perhaps this 5.2 engine is the product of forcing improvement of performance in each generation of Mustang whereby reliability is being sacrificed?
"ample" proof? Where is it????? LOL

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
FWIW a friend of mine is getting his 5.0 replaced for oil consumption in his truck. From his conversations with his service department it sounds like Ford is having this issues with the 5.0s as well.

5LITERV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
FWIW a friend of mine is getting his 5.0 replaced for oil consumption in his truck. From his conversations with his service department it sounds like Ford is having this issues with the 5.0s as well.
What year is the truck?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Hmm, went to the PWTA process on the 5.0 cylinder liners as well.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
Engine replaced due to oil consumption.

Compression and leak down test showed a loss of 40% in cylinders 1 and 2. Cylinder 3 25%.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Well I am on the blown block replacement. Hole by the oil pan next to number 3 I believe. Tear-down was done by Ford, but I have not received a official answer, just I'm get a new engine. I plan on going down there later this week to see for myself cause.

I have also heard about the 18 5.0 trucks having issues, as well as the 5.0 cars. The BQQ tick is what its being called ? Not sure how many issues there it has caused.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
6929 miles

Sequence of events:
  • Oil consumption started increasing from 1000 to 500 to 250ish these past two weeks.
  • My oil pressure was rapidly fluctuating between 70 and 80 PSI on a road trip Monday
  • Car felt down on power this morning
  • Got on the freeway and started hearing a knock at 3k RPMs
  • Oil pressure dropped to 25 PSI
  • Total loss of power then oil pressure dropped to 0, all the lights lit up
  • Car struggles to restart then dies immediately after
  • Found oil dripping from the back of the engine
A few questions:
  • I am asking for a long block engine replacement as that is what Ford Performance recommends for any internal engine issues
  • Asking for a KR3Z-6006-B as it is the latest long block replacement P/N (supposedly the new 2019+ GT350 engine)
  • Asking for a replacement oil cooler or at the minimum a very thorough flush
  • Will the replacement engine include its matching engine builders plate? I have read some have received a replacement engine with the builder names. I really want to push on this as what is the point of having the old builders plate on there if it is not correct.
  • The replacement engine will be blank where the VIN typically goes. I read somewhere on here that someone paid for the tech to stamp it to match the chassis. Does anyone remember what the cost is for that?
  • 7 year/100k warranty due to the replacement engine, do I push for that through the dealer or Ford service?
I plan on keeping the car as Grabber Blue is pretty much the only color I would want and no more new ones exist (mine was the last). I would entertain getting a GT500 in Grabber Blue if that ever happens.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
In getting a long block, they take intake off the old motor and put it on the new one, so yes you keep the builder plate. You get what they give you..I doubt your request for the latest block works. If yours failed to to ring or rod issues and metal bits scattered in the motor, pretty sure you get new oil coolers and lines.

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
So the builders plate will not match who built the new engine because they just reuse the old one?

Just found out a Voodoo is available in our local parts depot so that sounds like the engine I will get.

LFG_Cory

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2018 SHELBY GT350 LEAD FOOT GREY
So the builders plate will not match who built the new engine because they just reuse the old one?

Just found out a Voodoo is available in our local parts depot so that sounds like the engine I will get.
The builder plate from my original motor in on my new motor. Hopefully I didn't jinx the new motor :) :) :)

GrabberBlue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue GT350
That sucks.
*Random person* What are those signatures on your engine?
*Us* The people who built the original motor

Last edited:

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
I don't think the builder has any thing to do with these engines having to be replaced. They don't make the parts they only assemble the parts already made.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Probably get opinions all over the place but thought I'd throw a question out. Does anyone think doing a compression and leak down test is worthwhile if your car consumes oil but not at the level Ford says is necessary for engine replacement before you go out of warranty? Would you feel better knowing they are normal and your oil consumption is compatible with engine design? Would you be more likely to dump the car or get it fixed before the engine blows if it was abnormal? Would Ford fix it under warranty if it was abnormal? At what level would you think of doing this, say a quart per 1500 or less? As there are now cars getting closer to that mileage, maybe some would be willing to do that and post info if they have a "consumer".