Sponsored

Does Ford make street pads for Performance Package brakes?

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Yes.

Those hawk pads will not work on track. They'll overheat very quickly.
Thanks. When I upgrade to PP1 Brembo brakes I'll just use the PP1 pads for street and light track use.
Sponsored

Last edited:

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
PP1 pads are NOT track pads. They handle the abuse better than /some/ street pads, but when you’re serious about braking, you’ll be above the temp range of the PP pads. They’ll glaze and loose stopping power. Beginners and novices may be ok with PP pads for their first few track days until they learn how hard you can drive this car, but there is a limit.

Switching to a different pad for the street to reduce dust makes some sense.

If you are switching pads before a track day you should be careful about pad compounds. Deposites left by one pad may need to be removed before the other pad will work correctly.

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
PP1 pads are NOT track pads. They handle the abuse better than /some/ street pads, but when you’re serious about braking, you’ll be above the temp range of the PP pads. They’ll glaze and loose stopping power. Beginners and novices may be ok with PP pads for their first few track days until they learn how hard you can drive this car, but there is a limit.

It is somewhat track dependent, and car mod dependent. But for a stock ish car with true street tires (not 200TW that continually gets more track oriented), even an experianced driver is unlikely to have issues with the stock pads. Which is a first for me, every other car I ever ran (other than a 1300 lb Lotus 7 replica) required at least a pad and fluid change to work decent on track.

Full track pad no, but one of the most track capable OEM pads I have encountered.

Reactions: GTP

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
It is somewhat track dependent, and car mod dependent. But for a stock ish car with true street tires (not 200TW that continually gets more track oriented), even an experianced driver is unlikely to have issues with the stock pads. Which is a first for me, every other car I ever ran (other than a 1300 lb Lotus 7 replica) required at least a pad and fluid change to work decent on track.

Full track pad no, but one of the most track capable OEM pads I have encountered.
I’d agree with that.

The track dependent part is one of my issues. On a lot of tracks they’d be fine, but some tracks are pretty hard on brakes.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I just had my first track day this last weekend at Auto Club Speedway with a stock PP1 car. I do have brake cooling ducts on the car so that might have helped a bit but I had zero braking issues. That being said, I am a beginner driver so I know I'm not pushing the car as hard as I could be.
The stock PP1 pads do work great on the track and are completely capable for a novice driver to learn with. But as others have said above, once you get comfortable with really pushing the car to the limit, the PP pads will need to be upgraded.

Think of it this way; Ford is not going to sell the car with REAL track pads because their average consumer is not going to track the car. Your "average Joe" would get sick of the dust, noise, and constant replacement of a real track pad and an "average Joe" is Ford's target audience.
Sponsored