Sponsored

Underbody protection (coating against rust) necessary?

deepimpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016, V6
Hi,

I bought a 2016 Mustang V6 (US Import) in germany and I'm new to topics like underbody protection against rust.
When I had bought german cars in the past in germany I never got in touch with this kind of topic. Didn't even know that you can make an extra coating on the underbody of the car ^^, never needed that - or maybe needed that but didn't know the importance?

But since when I wanted to get the mustang, and began my search for the car in google the underbody protection seemed to be a big topic. When I asked my dealer, who is importing and selling US cars for years, he said, the standard coating by factory is mostly enough, an extra coating is not really necessary, they never heard or had any problems (or their customers), as long as you clean the underbody after winter season, he said.

So my questions are:

1) Does a US Mustang have less underbody protection against rust than german cars sold in germany?
If yes, why?

2) Is the dealer right? Is this something that is getting blown up in the internet, like most things, like when you search for headaches and find death :-) or what are your thoughts?

thank you in advance!

best wishes from germany
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Most rust damage will come from stuff like salt sitting for ages, if you do the occasional underbody wash then it shouldn't be necessary. If you're worried and there is the chance it will sit like that for months, I would get the coating just to be safe.

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
No difference between the US spec and German spec. Plus, German winters aren't any harsher than what we see many parts of the States. @Nagare point about salt is what leads to corrosion and that isnt a huge issue on modern cars so long as you wash the car. I would be ensuring your paying attention to the hood for corrosion as that is an entirely different issue all together but is covered under warranty. What part of Germany you in? I'm in Weisbaden.

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
If salt isn't spread all over the roads during winter where you are, rust isn't really going to be an issue for you.

But if salt is an issue where you live, it wouldn't hurt to use some fluid film in the nooks and crannies that salt may try to hide. Regular washing of the underside of the car will help delay rust, but won't stop it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

deepimpact

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016, V6
No difference between the US spec and German spec. Plus, German winters aren't any harsher than what we see many parts of the States. @Nagare point about salt is what leads to corrosion and that isnt a huge issue on modern cars so long as you wash the car. I would be ensuring your paying attention to the hood for corrosion as that is an entirely different issue all together but is covered under warranty. What part of Germany you in? I'm in Weisbaden.
Hi, first of all, thank you all for your answers :)

City is: Berlin :)

Oh, I never thought about warranty, the car is 3 years old, imported from us - is there any Warranty of anyhting I can use in Germany (via Ford Germany...?)

USMCtoARMY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6 MT
Hi, first of all, thank you all for your answers :)

City is: Berlin :)

Oh, I never thought about warranty, the car is 3 years old, imported from us - is there any Warranty of anyhting I can use in Germany (via Ford Germany...?)
It should be transferred and honored through Ford Deutscheland.
Sponsored