Sponsored

JLT CAI and tune for roush blower?

Bryanh24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Hello! So I currently have a phase 1 roush blower on my 15 GT. I am looking for a little more power and I thought changing out the roush intake for a JLT or PMAS would be nice plus a VMP tune. Has anyone switched from the roush intake to one of the ones I mentioned above with a tune and felt a pretty substantial difference? Let me know! Thanks.
Sponsored

Bybotie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, HP
Hello! So I currently have a phase 1 roush blower on my 15 GT. I am looking for a little more power and I thought changing out the roush intake for a JLT or PMAS would be nice plus a VMP tune. Has anyone switched from the roush intake to one of the ones I mentioned above with a tune and felt a pretty substantial difference? Let me know! Thanks.
Terrible idea, IMO. An aftermarket tune is great but an open CAI is a power killer. It "might" make a couple of extra HP on a dyno, with the hood up and fans blowing on it. Close that hood and the "CAI" is pulling 200* air in, causing the engine to retard timing and kill power. You can see for yourself with a simple test. Drive with the lid off and log your IAT. Then pop the lid on and do the same. The desire for a "CAI" will end there. For $89 you can make more power than a CAI with a PBD K2 air filter.

OP
OP
Bryanh24

Bryanh24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Terrible idea, IMO. An aftermarket tune is great but an open CAI is a power killer. It "might" make a couple of extra HP on a dyno, with the hood up and fans blowing on it. Close that hood and the "CAI" is pulling 200* air in, causing the engine to retard timing and kill power. You can see for yourself with a simple test. Drive with the lid off and log your IAT. Then pop the lid on and do the same. The desire for a "CAI" will end there. For $89 you can make more power than a CAI with a PBD K2 air filter.
Oh okay! Thanks for the advice man. Yeah I kinda figured Roush knew what they were doing when they built the kit hence the closed intake box. Going to look into that intake filter. Thanks!!

OP
OP
Bryanh24

Bryanh24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Also have you had experience with the filter? Just looked up some vids and it looks promising! If you have it, did you feel a difference at all?

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Your biggest gain will be to retune with VMP. The closed air box is the better route for a car not being tracked. Justin and those guys are good at tuning. And believe me after you drive the car with their tune in it after all of the data logging and verifications have been done, you'll be wishing you had done it sooner. And from a personal experience on my 13GT when I went to their tune and to an 82 vice 85mm pulley, it was DAMN!, and not just a oh, "oh I think I felt a bit of pickup. Even on the 727 phase 2 package with just a retune you will have a big difference. No nanny torque and clutch protection strategies dicking with WOT pulls at shift point, etc. Heck you're in Florida take it to them.

Sponsored

Bybotie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, HP
Also have you had experience with the filter? Just looked up some vids and it looks promising! If you have it, did you feel a difference at all?
I have the filter with a custom tune. I'm certain most of the gain is the tune but a little extra HP for $89 is hard to pass up.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
That's funny because my IAT's are 4 degrees above ambient while I'm driving with mine. I saw 137 degrees yesterday while idling and clearly my car is on fire and blew up.

Not saying it's the greatest having an open intake but it's certainly not as bad as some claim especially when you're moving around.

Bybotie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, HP
That's funny because my IAT's are 4 degrees above ambient while I'm driving with mine. I saw 137 degrees yesterday while idling and clearly my car is on fire and blew up.

Not saying it's the greatest having an open intake but it's certainly not as bad as some claim especially when you're moving around.
According to your sig, you are not running a PD blower. I have no problem running an open box on a NA setup where heat soak isn't an issue.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I have the JLT cai and Lund tune on my set-up. But, I made a plexiglass cover for my air box.
Sponsored