Sponsored

Warming up the car before pushing it.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I use the LC indicator. It will come on at ECT 170F. I have confirmed this via NGauge. CHT is normally pretty similar to ECT on mine for the most part when warming up. Oil Temp is inferred off of the ECT and a variety of other factors the PCM algorithm uses.
Sponsored

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
Definitely a good idea to allow your tyres to warm up for the extra grip !

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I do the same but I've let my cars idle in the garage for about 10 minutes before leaving (going back to my first new car - a 1990 Mustang GT Convertible) - overkill and unnecessary by some estimates - but I'm old school.
In the owner's manual there is a line that state not to leave the car idle long after startup.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Why and what support do you have for that contention?
The most wear on an engine occurs when it's started up and while running when not at operating temperature. Idling takes a much longer time to get the engine up to operating temps, especially oil, thus the engine spends more time running while out of its operating range thus wears out more.

Now this is a very tiny amount, but doing it everytime you start the engine it adds up over time.

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I start mine up, pull out of my garage and don't worry about it.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I can't believe this is a thing that needs to be asked. The car has a temperature gauge. When it is up to normal operating temperature, get on it. It's that easy. And those that wait for your trans temp. to get up to 150 F - you're just wasting time. If I did that I would rarely be able to get on it because these transmissions operate at low temperatures. And those that idle 10 minutes in the garage, like someone else said - unnecessary and a complete waste of time and fuel. Get out of "old school" way of thinking - these cars are anything but old school. In case you haven't noticed - 460+ hp from 5.0 liters, 7,500 rpm redline, low emissions, capable of 30 mpg on the hwy., and A10, is anything but old school.

I start mine, let it stir and listen to that delicious cold start for about 5 seconds, then put it in reverse and back out of the garage. Just take it easy the first few minutes. These cars warm up pretty fast.

BrettT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2006 Jetta 2.0T, 2013 Escape SEL
My $0.10 for what it's worth. Start the car, back out of driveway, take it easy until CHT stabilizes; approx. 90C (195F), then I'm good to go....

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
(Long-idling warm-up was never a good idea)

Why and what support do you have for that contention?
In earlier times in cold engine/idle conditions there was a great volume of unburned fuel that could run down the cylinder walls and encourage scoring and wear, as well as diluting the oil in the crankcase. I'm sure modern fuel management has improved these functions, but I can't get over the image of washed cylinder walls and thin crankase oil.

I start the engine, drive out of the garage, push the garage-close button, put on my dark glasses, and idle around the block (1/4 mile) before driving gently until the car's aura has grown toasty.

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
Mantula Caput post: 2556047 said:
Do you know where in the manual?
Looks like page 203 in the 2018 3rd edition.

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
Seems to be coming more from a place of saving gas than engine wear:

There are also some things you may want to avoid doing because they reduce your fuel economy:
  • Avoid sudden or hard accelerations.

• Avoid revving the engine before turning off the car.

• Avoid long idle periods.
If fuel economy were important to me, I would be rocking an EB...

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Seems to be coming more from a place of saving gas than engine wear:

If fuel economy were important to me, I would be rocking an EB...
That's what I saw as well - But there is the vague recommendation of "Do not warm up your vehicle on cold mornings". Say what?

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I can't believe this is a thing that needs to be asked. The car has a temperature gauge. When it is up to normal operating temperature, get on it. It's that easy. And those that wait for your trans temp. to get up to 150 F - you're just wasting time. If I did that I would rarely be able to get on it because these transmissions operate at low temperatures. And those that idle 10 minutes in the garage, like someone else said - unnecessary and a complete waste of time and fuel. Get out of "old school" way of thinking - these cars are anything but old school. In case you haven't noticed - 460+ hp from 5.0 liters, 7,500 rpm redline, low emissions, capable of 30 mpg on the hwy., and A10, is anything but old school.

I start mine, let it stir and listen to that delicious cold start for about 5 seconds, then put it in reverse and back out of the garage. Just take it easy the first few minutes. These cars warm up pretty fast.
You got that right bud. I usually wait for the rpm needle to go down after cold start.

SSG 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
The most wear on an engine occurs when it's started up and while running when not at operating temperature. Idling takes a much longer time to get the engine up to operating temps, especially oil, thus the engine spends more time running while out of its operating range thus wears out more.

Now this is a very tiny amount, but doing it everytime you start the engine it adds up over time.
That’s absolutely correct about the start up of any engine. The most wear is the start up because the moving parts inside the engine doesn’t have the oil. Honestly, 30 to 45 sec are all you need to warm up the engine bec the oil already lube the moving parts inside the engine. Idling for a long time doesn’t and will not put too much pressure on the moving parts because it’s just running normal. A waste of gas for sure though.
Sponsored