Sponsored

For those who've made these drives, which is better?

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang, 2001 Ford Lightning, 1968 Ford Mustang
Skyline or blue ridge?

I know this isn't all of blue ridge but I don't have time to drive it all at once

Attached are the routes
Screenshot_20180929-144242_Maps.jpg
Screenshot_20180929-143932_Maps.jpg
Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I've done Skyline from the start at Front Royal, down to the end where the Blue Ridge starts. We enjoyed the drive for an afternoon cruise, made a weekend trip out of it staying in Front Royal one night, then stayed in Roanoke the night of driving Skyline Drive and back thru the mountains in WV home.

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Done both on a motorcycle. They are both very nice drives, although the low speed limit can make it slow. Looks like you have a nice route planned.

OP
OP
Dusten

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
Done both on a motorcycle. They are both very nice drives, although the low speed limit can make it slow. Looks like you have a nice route planned.

I drove about 120 miles or so of blue ridge last weekend. Other than the fog I had a great time. The speed limit wasn't an issue due to the lack of traffic. I was probably able to avg closer to 60mph.

Zissou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS
I live in Charlottesville so I do the drives around here a ton. Blue Ridge parkway has a 45 mph speed limit and it's pretty tightly enforced. Skyline drive is 35 mph, and you have to pay to drive on it (national park). The best road by the blue ridge is Rt 56 that crosses over it, going through Montebello.

Another great drive is Rt 33 out to Seneca Rocks in WV

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dusten

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
I live in Charlottesville so I do the drives around here a ton. Blue Ridge parkway has a 45 mph speed limit and it's pretty tightly enforced. Skyline drive is 35 mph, and you have to pay to drive on it (national park). The best road by the blue ridge is Rt 56 that crosses over it, going through Montebello.

Another great drive is Rt 33 out to Seneca Rocks in WV

I didnt see a single cop.
Guess I was lucky.

Skyline is free with an america the beautiful pass.

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I didnt see a single cop.
Guess I was lucky.

Skyline is free with an america the beautiful pass.
I'd say you were REALLY lucky! I've seen heavy enforcement any time I've been on either road. Still a beautiful and fun drive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dusten

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
I'd say you were REALLY lucky! I've seen heavy enforcement any time I've been on wither road. Still a beautiful and fun drive.

that's good to know, because With as empty as the road was, I was flying out there.

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Something to keep in mind.These drives are on Federal property. You get a ticket it is a Federal ticket. You don't go to normal county court. You go to Federal court.

OP
OP
Dusten

Dusten

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusten
Vehicle(s)
Something to keep in mind.These drives are on Federal property. You get a ticket it is a Federal ticket. You don't go to normal county court. You go to Federal court.
No different than when I get a ticket on base... its the same process. Mail it in, pay the fine.

Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I pretty much stuck to the speed limit when I did Skyline, maybe 5 or so over but that was about it. Didn't see any cops but a black bear did run across the road in front of me lol. We started on Blue Ridge and saw a cop within the first mile or so on it. Decided to just head back towards home rather than head any further.

ModularKid21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜15 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I was actually looking into doing some of these drives when spring rolls around. Iā€™ve heard of them from a few people but havenā€™t had a chance to get out there myself

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Blue Ridge is way better than Skyline. Try to pick odd times to go (during the week) and it's rather more interesting the further south you go. Do mind your speed and work more on maintaining speed limit thru the corners. Going fast on straights is pointless.

PanicSwitch89

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dom
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Manual PP1 RC
Vehicle Showcase
Some years back we went through Skyline Drive on motorcycles....left with a ticket. If you come around a bend and see a ranger in front of you immediately hit the brakes, because they actually have a speed sensor pointed backyards. It's how they got me.

Sugarloaf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
BRP over the Skyline Drive. The northern BRP is largely open sweepers with good sight lines. As said before, try to stay to weekdays, especially after Memorial day or you will find yourself in RV hell. If you are not locked into ridge line driving, there are great roads down below. From Waynesboro, go south on 81 about 20 miles, pick up 39 to Warm Springs then 220 to Franklin then 33 to Harrisonburg and back to Waynesboro. Or turn left at Franklin to Seneca Rocks then work you way down to Snowshoe. All are beautiful roads with little traffic and minimal LEO presence. Have fun.
Sponsored