Drag Radials with MT-82

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Not yet.
Maybe in the future.
My understanding of the MSD setup is that the rpm need to drop by 1/3 on launch for it to function correctly.
Given that I’m just blowing the tyres off (atm), I don’t think it’ll work.
Not sure how it all works if you build the two step into the tune
You have to be below 1/3 of the launch rpm when you activate it. So to be clear idle rpm 750 or whatever, push 2-step button/engage clutch fully, go WOT, 2-step will hold whatever rpm it's set to until you release the button, or a lot of guys wire them to the clutch bottom switch.
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
You have to be below 1/3 of the launch rpm when you activate it. So to be clear idle rpm 750 or whatever, push 2-step button/engage clutch fully, go WOT, 2-step will hold whatever rpm it's set to until you release the button, or a lot of guys wire them to the clutch bottom switch.
IMO 2-step is one of the single best things you can do on a stick car. Get consistent results which allows fine tuning.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
So, in order to use the two-step, you can’t slip the clutch on launch right?
Eg. The moment the pedal comes off the floor, the two-step will allow full revs.
Given my recent exploding axle and a pretty much totally shagged tailshaft adventure, I’m rapidly losing interest in high rpm dumps :curse:

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
So, in order to use the two-step, you can’t slip the clutch on launch right?
Eg. The moment the pedal comes off the floor, the two-step will allow full revs.
Given my recent exploding axle and a pretty much totally shagged tailshaft adventure, I’m rapidly losing interest in high rpm dumps :curse:
The clutch has 2 switches. Top and Bottom of travel. On the bottom switch it will go full revs as soon as you start slipping up. But again IMO the only time you want to slip the clutch is when you're trying to nurse stock tires launch. On slicks 5,000 and dump that mofo. The harder you rev and dump the more teh stock clutch will slip itself. Radials will be a challenge...

Last edited:

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I tried the 28x11.5x17 M.T. Et street R bias last night. Gotta say, not really a fan. Tried a couple different shock settings and tire pressures trying to get it to hook. The sway is just as bad as slicks with normal street tires up front. I am going to try them again Sunday with the skinnies up front, but so far I am not seeing the hype.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I tried the 28x11.5x17 M.T. Et street R bias last night. Gotta say, not really a fan. Tried a couple different shock settings and tire pressures trying to get it to hook. The sway is just as bad as slicks with normal street tires up front. I am going to try them again Sunday with the skinnies up front, but so far I am not seeing the hype.
What type of 60 ft where you seeing? I can tell you the radial version of the ET street Rs do not like 3500rpm clutch dumps off of a 2 step at 17psi tire pressure. Only made 2 passes and had a 2.7 and 2.0 60 ft. I'm going to try leaving off of idle and perhaps using the flight control settings to take 25% out of 1st to see if I can get it to hook. Really hoping I can make the radial version work as they have great street manners and absolutely no sway.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
17psi, best 60' was a hard spinning 1.76. Sway was bad enough that my buddy in his brand new Redeye challenger lifted because he thought I was coming over to greet him. I went 1.62 60' with my daily driving M&H drag radials.

Toydoctor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I’ve been following this thread trying to pull the trigger on tires. I finally did and here is my setup and results.

2018 GT
MT-82 3.55 Gears
McLeod RXT
M/T ET Street R 275/40/17 22psi
Front tires: stock Michelin pilots 19in.
Stock rear suspension and axles
660 to 680 whp

I went with the 26in tires due to having such a low rear end gear. Now I plan to go with a 3.73 hoping to raise my rpms at the traps.

I did four passes... worst 60ft 1.8 and best 1.62. 1/4 mile was a 11.1@126mph. I would launch soft at 4K rpms. Never once wheel hopped. With a PD blower, the ability to modulate torque makes launches easy. Even with the ceramic disks I still had no problem slipping the clutch. I watched higher hp cars launch that night and I knew the track prep was good. The car hooked so well, I surely would have broke something had I side stepped the clutch.

The goal was a 10.80 and unfortunately I didn’t achieve it. I’ll try another day with a lower DA.

I would definitely recommend these tires.
However launching a heavy car too hard will definitely lead to driveline destruction with out upgrades. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I’ve been following this thread trying to pull the trigger on tires. I finally did and here is my setup and results.

2018 GT
MT-82 3.55 Gears
McLeod RXT
M/T ET Street R 275/40/17 22psi
Front tires: stock Michelin pilots 19in.
Stock rear suspension and axles
660 to 680 whp

I went with the 26in tires due to having such a low rear end gear. Now I plan to go with a 3.73 hoping to raise my rpms at the traps.

I did four passes... worst 60ft 1.8 and best 1.62. 1/4 mile was a 11.1@126mph. I would launch soft at 4K rpms. Never once wheel hopped. With a PD blower, the ability to modulate torque makes launches easy. Even with the ceramic disks I still had no problem slipping the clutch. I watched higher hp cars launch that night and I knew the track prep was good. The car hooked so well, I surely would have broke something had I side stepped the clutch.

The goal was a 10.80 and unfortunately I didn’t achieve it. I’ll try another day with a lower DA.

I would definitely recommend these tires.
However launching a heavy car too hard will definitely lead to driveline destruction with out upgrades. Hope this helps.
So are you running the radial or bias ply version?

I'd think twice about stepping up to 3.73s. I would be at the limiter in 4th gear at the 1/4 having to shift into 5th. I recently switched from 3.73s to 3.31s and car hooks much better on the street.

Toydoctor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
So are you running the radial or bias ply version?

I'd think twice about stepping up to 3.73s. I would be at the limiter in 4th gear at the 1/4 having to shift into 5th. I recently switched from 3.73s to 3.31s and car hooks much better on the street.
Sorry should have specified drag radial.
I didn’t see that Mickey Thompson sold 275/40/17 in a bias ply though.

Sponsored

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
17psi, best 60' was a hard spinning 1.76. Sway was bad enough that my buddy in his brand new Redeye challenger lifted because he thought I was coming over to greet him. I went 1.62 60' with my daily driving M&H drag radials.
What M&H and size?

Ill be buying a rear wheel and tire setup for a 2018 A10 car here soon.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry should have specified drag radial.
I didn’t see that Mickey Thompson sold 275/40/17 in a bias ply though.
I’m confused.
I always thought metric was for radial, imperial for bias?

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
What M&H and size?

Ill be buying a rear wheel and tire setup for a 2018 A10 car here soon.
I have the 275/45/18 part# Rod21 on the factory wheels. They are pretty damn impressive. I ran the et street r’s again yesterday. I dont like them.

Notagain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yellow 2016 5.0 totaled white 2018 A10 now
I have the 275/45/18 part# Rod21 on the factory wheels. They are pretty damn impressive. I ran the et street r’s again yesterday. I dont like them.

Thats the M&H and those on a 9.5 inch rim? I think Im just gonna get some cheapo replica rear like a 17x10

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I believe they are 8 1/2” rims. I just put a pair on my buddies 19 redeye challenger 325/45/18 ( they look tiny on a widebody) and he went a low 1.6 off idle on his third pass ever, has a lot more in it.
Sponsored