Sponsored

TPMS and Powder Coating

TorkN8R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium Ingot Silver Auto W/3.55's
Soon after I take possession of my 2015 Mustang, I plan to have the Gloss Black 19" wheels that come standard, as in (NO CHOICE! MISTAKE FORD!) with the Performance Package, powder coated a nice Liquid Silver or Gunmetal.

My question is this...what happens with the TPMS? The wheel shop that I plan on using says that dismount, powder coat, remount and balence is included for $175.00 a wheel.

I'm assuming that they will remove the sensor and re-install. However...also assuming...that the shop doesn't damage the sensor, will I have buy a reset tool or will the TPMS reset and recalibrate on it's own?
Sponsored

MikeAZ

DIB Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
My question is this...what happens with the TPMS? The wheel shop that I plan on using says that dismount, powder coat, remount and balence is included for $175.00 a wheel.

I'm assuming that they will remove the sensor and re-install. However...also assuming...that the shop doesn't damage the sensor, will I have buy a reset tool or will the TPMS reset and recalibrate on it's own?
If the sensors are the same or similar to the 2014 Mustang they need to be "relearned"- no special tools needed. You will have to go through some tinkering with the brake pedal and the push button starter. Here is an article on how to "relearn" Schrader rubber valve snap-in TPMS for the 2014 Mustang (applies to many Ford models): http://www.tpmsdirect.com/Schrader_20315_TPMS_Relearn_a/822.htm

I'm not certain if just removing and reinstalling a sensor would require the retraining though - it may work properly as long as each sensor ends up on the same position (right front, etc.)

Don's Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500. 2018 C63S
if they are the same as 2011-2014's you will have to replace the valve stem, but they are readily available at pretty much any good tire shop
Sponsored