Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I do the same but I've let my cars idle in the garage for about 10 minutes before leaving (going back to my first new car - a 1990 Mustang GT Convertible) - overkill and unnecessary by some estimates - but I'm old school.
I start my Coyote up in the garage,I let it idle for 2-3 hours with the A/C on because it's 95* now down here in S/W Florida,then I shut the car off and wait a half hour for all the oil to drain down,check my oil level,check my coolant and brake fluid,crawl under the car after I jack it up and check the transmission oil level,clean the windows and check TP, then drive 30 MPH to Walmart,I must have missed something,I don't see where I need to use that red line thing on the street,I will have to look in my owners guide to see what Ford says about it.I think I am doing everything the right way each time I start up my Coyote to go some place,but I am going to take my Mustang into the dealership,my MPG seems a little off.LOL.
Sponsored

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I let the oil temp reach normal, which is usually about 1-1/2 to 2 miles of driving. Coincidentally, it's the distance from the nearest freeway on-ramp. I only let it idle in the garage for 30 seconds or so and then drive slow and easy until I get out of my neighborhood. Excessive idling is not beneficial.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I’m a puss. Transmission to 150F, and all should be good. By then, everything else is up.
How do you know your trans temps?

Have I missed some gauge or readout somewhere.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I do the same but I've let my cars idle in the garage for about 10 minutes before leaving (going back to my first new car - a 1990 Mustang GT Convertible) - overkill and unnecessary by some estimates - but I'm old school.
I've only been driving since about 1967 and long warm-up idling was never a good idea. The only times I've ever let a car idle to warm-up were if the windows were covered with frost/ice and the engine warmed while I was scraping the ice off the windows.

My practice is always to drive the car "moderately" while the engine, tires, transmission, etc. warm-up as much as they can depending on the outside temperature.

Last edited:

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Engine oil temp is almost always the last thing to come up to normal temps. I just keep a light foot on the gas until then.

Since I have the Cobb tuner with push-button modes, I leave it in Slot 5 (economy) until everything is warmed up. For me, that makes it a little easier to resist the temptation to stomp on the go-pedal before it's ready.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What's the point of all that besides wasting gas and wearing your engine out faster? Not only that, but you forget that there are other parts of the car that also need to warm up and letting the car idle does 0 to bring those up to temp.

So after letting the car run for 10 minutes, you still have to drive for a few miles at moderate loads while waiting for the trans and diff to catch up...or you beat on the warmed up engine with a cold trans and diff.

An engine warms up MUCH faster while driving.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Since I'm auto, the trans is always the LAST thing to warm up. It takes forever actually. I wait till im at 130 for part throttle and over 150 for WOT. By then the motor is plenty warm because it takes miles.

Otherwise wait for CHT and ECT to be at normal levels.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
I wait for my engine oil temperature gauge to read normal.

Last edited:

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
How do you know your trans temps?

Have I missed some gauge or readout somewhere.
The a10 has a real temp readout in the gauge menu. Yours doesn’t have one at all, right?

Sponsored

Bullitt0819

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang
I start my Coyote up in the garage,I let it idle for 2-3 hours with the A/C on because it's 95* now down here in S/W Florida,then I shut the car off and wait a half hour for all the oil to drain down,check my oil level,check my coolant and brake fluid,crawl under the car after I jack it up and check the transmission oil level,clean the windows and check TP, then drive 30 MPH to Walmart,I must have missed something,I don't see where I need to use that red line thing on the street,I will have to look in my owners guide to see what Ford says about it.I think I am doing everything the right way each time I start up my Coyote to go some place,but I am going to take my Mustang into the dealership,my MPG seems a little off.LOL.
Wrong wrong wrong ... Ford says to wait 15 minutes after shutdown to check oil level.

Blue Horse

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Wrong wrong wrong ... Ford says to wait 15 minutes after shutdown to check oil level.
I like to wait a little longer,just to make 100% sure it is perfect,The problem I have is that I can't find the redline thing for street use in Fords guide,and by waiting that half hour to check the oil, it allows the big chunks of metal to settle down in the pan,and the engine knocks are a little less. LOL.

TehEno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harry
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT - Tickford Supercharge Pack - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
As with all my cars, I start up and drive off, no waiting at idle etc. Dont push above 4k rpm until fully warmed up.

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Until the car runs Normal. These cars act goofy until they’re up to temp.
Sponsored