Sponsored

Decision Time

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
FWIW you wouldn't lose your ass on the 05, you already have. But understand the sentimental value it has to you. I've had tons of trucks, but right now my daily is a tahoe and i bought a small trailer for around the house hauling tasks. Love it. I call it the tilt-a-truck as it's a tilt 10' trailer and acts as my truck when I need to haul something that won't fit inside. Have you considered an expedition? Way more room, and more than plenty towing capacity.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
You guys are giving me food for thought, I appreciate it. The SUV isn't something we need, more that she would like to have it. We don't drive anything for work, I have a company vehicle. On the weekends I drive the '15 more than anything because even though the Ram 2500 is a diesel it's got 120k miles on it and I don't want to rack miles up. The '05 Mustang gets used less because of the '15 is more practical especially if there's rain in the forecast (drag radials).

A new SUV would be the most practical especially if we are heading somewhere with friends or the grandkids. The truck is loud and big, full exhaust and even though the wife has always loved it I guess she's a little older now. We are in our 50's. If I got rid of the '15 I'd actually drive the '05 more as long as it's fair weather. I could dig a twin turbo V6

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
If you dont need a 3rd row and just need more room but need the utility of a truck, have you looked into the new rams? They have some very impressive cabins that easily provide more room than alot of SUVs. Diesel trucks hold their value well so it would be a solid trade in. Wife gets something "nice" she can handle and haul the grand kids in, you keep the function of the truck and keep your weekend and track toys

OP
OP

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That was my first idea, get a new pickup until I saw what they are getting for them these days. We pulled into a Ram dealer last week just because I had to tie my boot lace. I had no intention of buying, but looked at a few window stickers. A Ram 2500 with diesel, regular seats and steel wheels was close to 60k...no thanks. I'm buying a fleet vehicle this week for our company and saw a Ford F350 dually with 19.5'' wheels, 2 tone leather and loaded up for 92k. We don't need 3rd row seating.

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
That was my first idea, get a new pickup until I saw what they are getting for them these days. We pulled into a Ram dealer last week just because I had to tie my boot lace. I had no intention of buying, but looked at a few window stickers. A Ram 2500 with diesel, regular seats and steel wheels was close to 60k...no thanks. I'm buying a fleet vehicle this week for our company and saw a Ford F350 dually with 19.5'' wheels, 2 tone leather and loaded up for 92k. We don't need 3rd row seating.
How big is the boat? Do you need 14k towing capacity? Standard 1500 can move a healthy 7.5k and would drop the cost pretty substantially.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The boat is a shade over 6000 lbs and with the trailer I guess another 1000. I will not buy a Ram 1500. It would have to be a 6.7 Cummins 2500 or if gasoline I'd go Ford, but I wouldn't own a Powerstroke diesel even though I'm a die hard Ford guy. There are times I haul some serious weight that a 1500 Ram wouldn't be able to handle. I would buy a gasoline F250, but I'm not really motivated for a pickup when i already have one. My '05 Ram diesel is still a good truck. I just rebuilt the entire suspension myself and it's mechanically solid. got a little rust to work on and that's manageable. I just priced out the bed quarter panels today.

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
The boat is a shade over 6000 lbs and with the trailer I guess another 1000. I will not buy a Ram 1500. It would have to be a 6.7 Cummins 2500 or if gasoline I'd go Ford, but I wouldn't own a Powerstroke diesel even though I'm a die hard Ford guy. There are times I haul some serious weight that a 1500 Ram wouldn't be able to handle. I would buy a gasoline F250, but I'm not really motivated for a pickup when i already have one. My '05 Ram diesel is still a good truck. I just rebuilt the entire suspension myself and it's mechanically solid. got a little rust to work on and that's manageable. I just priced out the bed quarter panels today.
Well that seems a pretty clear path. Newer pony needs to go lol

OP
OP

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe so, I'll just have to hash it out in my head for a while. If I tell my wife no, she'll accept that answer. Maybe I'll take a look at some SUV's to help me decide.

Deleted member 35786

Maybe so, I'll just have to hash it out in my head for a while. If I tell my wife no, she'll accept that answer. Maybe I'll take a look at some SUV's to help me decide.
Sell the 05' for its not practical, just let your emotions go on it.. Its just a car. Enjoy the 15 everyday for your getting older and will appreciate it. Use the truck to haul grandkids around... I mean how often do you plan on hauling them anyway?? You got back seats in the stang for car seats..
Your getting older so remember this is your time now!!! You paid your dues playing soccer mom and all.

OP
OP

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never played soccer mom

Sponsored

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
Never played soccer mom
Seems like you’re about to play it now, and sacrifice some of your fun to do so. Why? Load the grandkids in the truck or have YOUR KIDS drive their own kids. You’re making a mistake.

Edit:

Some perspective. I’m in my late 30s. My parents are in their 60s, and they’re about to make the same mistake. They’re selling their beautiful Challenger to buy a Tundra. Mostly to haul my nieces around. They already have a crew cab 05 f-150, but it’s “not nice enough”. It’s a mistake.

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
Seems like you’re about to play it now, and sacrifice some of your fun to do so. Why? Load the grandkids in the truck or have YOUR KIDS drive their own kids. You’re making a mistake.

Edit:

Some perspective. I’m in my late 30s. My parents are in their 60s, and they’re about to make the same mistake. They’re selling their beautiful Challenger to buy a Tundra. Mostly to haul my nieces around. They already have a crew cab 05 f-150, but it’s “not nice enough”. It’s a mistake.

For some people it’s more important to spend time with Grandkids and Nieces then to drive a cool car. Maybe the # 1 priority is to have a great car/truck for that. It would be great to have the great car/truck and a cool car but sometimes the budget don’t allow for that.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I do haul a 25' boat with a big block in it. I need a pickup for that and loads of dirt, rocks, mulch, but I guess I could buy a trailer for hauling. I'd need an SUV big enough to pull that boat.

The '05 car I just don't think I'd ever sell. I have a lot of history with it. I don't know, just throwing it out there for a conversation to help make a decision
A crew-cab pick-up? Can't see why that wouldn't work with the 3 grand kids. Kids love pick-ups.

Or get an old Subaru Brat with 2 seats in the bed!!!

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
For some people it’s more important to spend time with Grandkids and Nieces then to drive a cool car. Maybe the # 1 priority is to have a great car/truck for that. It would be great to have the great car/truck and a cool car but sometimes the budget don’t allow for that.
Seems like a lot of these people who make that excuse already have the ability to haul grandkids around just fine. That’s a bullshit excuse, and you know it.

Tone Everready

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB and 2019 GT
A crew-cab pick-up? Can't see why that wouldn't work with the 3 grand kids. Kids love pick-ups.

Or get an old Subaru Brat with 2 seats in the bed!!!
Exactly.

OP is making excuses.
Sponsored