Sponsored

New 2020 build to include 20" Spare, part number?

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
Hey Gang,
I have a 2018 GT with 20 inch premium painted aluminum wheels, with no spare options at the time of purchase.
Now Ford will be offering a;
Mini Spare Wheel & Tire (66W) is available on 20” Premium painted
Aluminum Wheels (649) and 2.3L High Performance
Package (67E)
Anybody know when this will be available, and have a part number?
And will this fit my car Okay?
Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Hey Gang,
I have a 2018 GT with 20 inch premium painted aluminum wheels, with no spare options at the time of purchase.
Now Ford will be offering a;
Mini Spare Wheel & Tire (66W) is available on 20” Premium painted
Aluminum Wheels (649) and 2.3L High Performance
Package (67E)
Anybody know when this will be available, and have a part number?
And will this fit my car Okay?
Should fit just fine. As the 2020's are not out yet there is probably no part in the system for it and no inventory to order it from. May have to wait a few months.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
It will fit. The reason they didn't offer a spare with the 20" wheels before was because of the tires. They used to be Summer-Only, but the spare was All-Season. Now the spare and the tires are All-Season.

OP
OP
Hidalgo

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible, Premium, Magnetic, Int. Midnight Blue, 401A Pkge, 10Sp. AT, Smart & Safe Pkge, Active Valve Performance Exhaust, Shaker Pro, 20" Alum wheels; 2015 BMW M235i, Vert, Twin Turbo, JB4; BMW 2017 X5, M Sports Pkge
It will fit. The reason they didn't offer a spare with the 20" wheels before was because of the tires. They used to be Summer-Only, but the spare was All-Season. Now the spare and the tires are All-Season.
Anyone have a part number?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Hidalgo

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
That doesn't make sense to me ( which means its probably true) since all-weather can be use in .... wait for it .... all weather. I could maybe understand the other way around so Ford doesn't get sued if an owner puts a summer only spare on above the arctic circle and skids into a school bus.

I heard (and never verified) in the past the issue was more the 20" wheels happened to run taller tires than the 18s and 19s and Ford was worried about LSD damage if an owner drove too far with the then smaller spare on the back.

Last edited:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Good call.
I just looked up this “new” spare tire kit and found this:

Meanwhile, the Mini Spare Wheel & Tire (66W) is newly available with the 20-inch premium-painted aluminum wheels (649) and the 2.3L High Performance Package (67E).

I believe this means the current spare tire which is order code 66W will be available to order along with the new 20” wheels. This was not the case until this MY.

OP
OP
Hidalgo

Hidalgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Just looking for a Spare/Jack 20" kit that will fit in the well and work with my car.
Reached out to Autonation Parts already.

We will see.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Just looking for a Spare/Jack 20" kit that will fit in the well and work with my car.
Reached out to Autonation Parts already.

We will see.
This has been discussed many times over the past four years. For short term use, which is what a spare is all about, no issues using the standard 66W with your 20" wheels. The key word here is "short".

Now you can also use the Automotive Authority Spare that was designed for the PP1 with 19" wheels and Brembo's. It is expensive though.

upload_2019-8-22_12-35-4.png

Sponsored

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
That doesn't make sense to me ( which means its probably true) since all-weather can be use in .... wait for it .... all weather. I could maybe understand the other way around so Ford doesn't get sued if an owner puts a summer only spare on above the arctic circle and skids into a school bus.

I heard (and never verified) in the past the issue was more the 20" wheels happened to run taller tires than the 18s and 19s and Ford was worried about LSD damage if an owner drove too far with the then smaller spare on the back.
It's not that. It's because of the difference in rubber compounds.
And the tires on the 20" wheels are the same diameter as the 18's and 19's. All of them are around 27".

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
It's not that. It's because of the difference in rubber compounds.
And the tires on the 20" wheels are the same diameter as the 18's and 19's. All of them are around 27".
I get that one internet theory is as good as another but barring some evidence from Ford, that doesn't pass the common sense test. The different size and shape of the compact spare tire contact patch has a much larger effect on traction or any other safety related aspect than using all weather spare tire. That's why owners of all cars are warned about driving with an off size spare.

As I said, I have no reason to believe different diameters is the reason either but that theory is out there too.

Stangnut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt BHG
Since all of the tire diameters are really close to being the same, it's obviously not the tire diameters. As for the difference in tread compounds I was skeptical also when two different Ford reps on here told us that. (it wasn't ever a theory) Now that Ford's offering it with the "new" tires that come with the 20" wheels it seems more reasonable.
Sponsored