Sponsored

Stereo Information (Wiring, Upgrades, etc...)

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
RCA is the output from DSR1 to the amp
Speaker wires is the output of the amplifier to the speakers routed throught the brown and grey connector to the factory speaker wires.

In addition in the brown connector there are the CAN wires and power/ground and stuff like that for the DSR1.
Sponsored

RubberyDuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2.3
RCA is the output from DSR1 to the amp
Speaker wires is the output of the amplifier to the speakers routed throught the brown and grey connector to the factory speaker wires.

In addition in the brown connector there are the CAN wires and power/ground and stuff like that for the DSR1.
I guess what I don't understand is that the grey and brown are going straight to the amp, which means speaker signals go directly through. The black connector is the can bus stuff, I get that, but does it also send audio signals? Or are the RCAs purely to send canbus related audio to the amp? So there's effectively two sets of input audio going into the amp?

upload_2019-5-20_9-53-33.png

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
The black connector only has the signal wires and CAN-bus from the radio to the DSR1.
The brown connector has power, ground and audio-enable to the DSR1 and the front tweeters and center channel speaker wires from the amplifier.
The grey connector has the rest of the speaker wires.
So you have to use the black and brown connector on the HRN-AR-FO3 harness on the car-side and the two connectors on the harness to the input side of the DSR1 and then run RCAs from the DSR1 RCA-outputs to your amplifier.

For the speaker wires you can either rewire everything from scratch or just run your speaker cables from your amp to the corresponding connectors (brown for tweeters, grey for the rest) which just simplifies wiring for your speakers as you only need to run your speaker wires to one central location and use the already existing wiring in the car through the brown and grey connectors.

RubberyDuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2.3
The black connector only has the signal wires and CAN-bus from the radio to the DSR1.
The brown connector has power, ground and audio-enable to the DSR1 and the front tweeters and center channel speaker wires from the amplifier.
The grey connector has the rest of the speaker wires.
So you have to use the black and brown connector on the HRN-AR-FO3 harness on the car-side and the two connectors on the harness to the input side of the DSR1 and then run RCAs from the DSR1 RCA-outputs to your amplifier.

For the speaker wires you can either rewire everything from scratch or just run your speaker cables from your amp to the corresponding connectors (brown for tweeters, grey for the rest) which just simplifies wiring for your speakers as you only need to run your speaker wires to one central location and use the already existing wiring in the car through the brown and grey connectors.
I'm sorry, I'm just not following. You say "The brown connector has power, ground and audio-enable to the DSR1 and the front tweeters and center channel speaker wires from the amplifier." but the brown connector goes straight to the amp, not via the DSR1?

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
It does, that's why it's not seperate as the grey connector, but bundled together in the harness with the black connector and the two connectors that go into the DSR1.
If you don't believe me that the brown connector has power, ground and audio enable, just check the wiring diagrams in this thread. Or just connect only the black connector to the connector in the car and see if the DSR1 even powers up. Believe me, it wont, as it got no power, ground and audio-enable without the brown connector.

Sponsored

RubberyDuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2.3
It does, that's why it's not seperate as the grey connector, but bundled together in the harness with the black connector and the two connectors that go into the DSR1.
If you don't believe me that the brown connector has power, ground and audio enable, just check the wiring diagrams in this thread. Or just connect only the black connector to the connector in the car and see if the DSR1 even powers up. Believe me, it wont, as it got no power, ground and audio-enable without the brown connector.
Apologies, this isn't a question of not believing you. I'm just trying to marry up what you’re saying with the diagram Rockford Fosgate/Maestro provide. In the diagram I posted, the brown connector clearly goes directly to the amp, not the DSR1. Is it wrong?

Last edited:

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
It's not completely wrong, but also not 100% correct.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Just follow the steps. The wires that go from step 3 to step 2 on the wiring diagrams are the outputs from the after market amp to your speakers. The factory amp needs to be connected to the DSR1 through the aFO3 T-HARNESS so that the DSR1 can process the signal while the car's computer still recognize that factory amp so that it doesn't throw any codes. The RCAs that go from the DSR1 are the processed signals to your aftermarket amp.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
You can remove the stock amplifier all together as it won't be connected to any connection after adding the DSR1 and the appropriate harness anymore.

RubberyDuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2.3
Final questions. Does anyone have any recommendations on where to locate the new amp/DSR1? Where's the best route to run power? For the rear, I'm happy to run the amp to the wheel well, should it not fit in the location of the stock amp. I'm less clear about the front, especially given I have two boxes in replacement of the one amp.

Has anyone done this?

Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
If you're just using the HRN-AR-FO3 harness and not any of the available extensions you're pretty much set on putting the DSR1 to the location of the stock amplifier in the drivers kickpanel.
For the DSR1 you don't need to run power/ground and stuff, as it's getting this from the HRN-AR-FO3 harness already.
Regardless of the location of the DSP you can put the amps anywhere they can fit. I put mine into the spare tire area (EU spec cars do not come with a spare tire, but a tire kit, so enough space there for small class D amps like the Mosconi D2s).
For power wires for the amps i would always run the wires on the passenger side and signal and speaker cables on the drivers side.

RubberyDuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2.3
If you're just using the HRN-AR-FO3 harness and not any of the available extensions you're pretty much set on putting the DSR1 to the location of the stock amplifier in the drivers kickpanel.
For the DSR1 you don't need to run power/ground and stuff, as it's getting this from the HRN-AR-FO3 harness already.
Regardless of the location of the DSP you can put the amps anywhere they can fit. I put mine into the spare tire area (EU spec cars do not come with a spare tire, but a tire kit, so enough space there for small class D amps like the Mosconi D2s).
For power wires for the amps i would always run the wires on the passenger side and signal and speaker cables on the drivers side.
Thanks. Is there a reason for that way round? Is there a convenient run from the battery on the passenger's side? Also, are you talking about a RHD or LHD vehicle?

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I got a LHD. Battery is on the passenger side in my car and stock amp in the drivers kickpanel, so it fits this way. Don't know anything about RHD Mustangs tbh... do they have switched everything around? Don't know, sorry :(

RubberyDuck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost 2.3
I got a LHD. Battery is on the passenger side in my car and stock amp in the drivers kickpanel, so it fits this way. Don't know anything about RHD Mustangs tbh... do they have switched everything around? Don't know, sorry :(
I’ll open my bonnet and remind myself, but I suspect not. They’ll have moved the wheel over, but the engine bay and battery (and amp) will be on the same side as the LHD. Just means I need to swap the sides round when reading your instructions. I just needed to know what you were referring to. Thanks!

Canoman

Lurker (mostly)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP 400A
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all. So I'm trying to get my head around the installation of the DS1 and Audison AP4D. I have the car specific iDatalink harness (F03). I'm looking at this diagram, and what I' struggling to understand is why I would need to connect both the stock speakers wires to the amp, and the set of RCAs from the DSR1 to the amp. What would this achieve? Can someone explain it to me?

https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20181126105300/Manuals/794/794HARFO3.PDF
The DSR1 takes the low-level signal and makes adjustments to that before its adjusted output signal gets sent to the external amplifier - in your case, the Audison. The Audison then amplifies that signal and outputs a "high-level" amplified signal to the speakers through the speaker wires. If you were to just connect the Audison to the speakers, you would have no input signal, and no sound. If you were to just connect the RCAs from the DSR1 to the Audison and didn't connect the speaker wires to the Audison, there would be no signal going to the speakers for them to reproduce, and therefore, you'd have no sound. To utilize the gear you mentioned, your chain has to go ACM -> DSR1 ->AP4D ->speakers. The harness allows you to send the signal to the speakers via the already-installed factory speaker wire so that you don't have to run new speaker wire through the car.
Sponsored