Sponsored

Kick panel area rattle

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I have a noise that sounds like the ball in a protein shake shaker bottle is rattling around, and it's intermittent. I think I'm going to pull the passenger seat, passenger door panel, and interior trim, then put them back in, one piece at a time, to try to figure out where it's coming from. It drives me NUTS!

JR
Sponsored

OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I have a noise that sounds like the ball in a protein shake shaker bottle is rattling around, and it's intermittent. I think I'm going to pull the passenger seat, passenger door panel, and interior trim, then put them back in, one piece at a time, to try to figure out where it's coming from. It drives me NUTS!

JR
I wouldn't quite describe it as that. It's more of a ticking sound coming from the bottom area of the door (closer to the kick panel). I already tore apart my door and soundproofed it. It's definitely an exterior noise.

Adf020

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang ecoboost premium automatic convertible
I had to be what sounds like your issue. I took it in to ford and they ripped up the carpet and said a clip was broken. I will try to find the service report and post it for you this afternoon.

OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I had to be what sounds like your issue. I took it in to ford and they ripped up the carpet and said a clip was broken. I will try to find the service report and post it for you this afternoon.
Thanks! I'm also adding the window to my potential suspect list. Could me me, but the sound goes away when the window is rolled down 1/4 of the way.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If you have checked thoroughly inside of the vehicle in the area where you think the noise is coming from - then with the car safely jacked up and secured, pull off the front passenger side wheel. Then pull out the inner fender black plastic splash shield.

Look behind that splash shield and on the inside of the engine bay on that side of the vehicle Tap on the sheet metal to see if you can hear any rattles.

While the hood is up - tap on the black plastic cowl panel at the base of the windshield - does it rattle or make a “tapping” noise?

One other thing:
While in the car, hit the back of the passenger seat and wiggle it back and forth - does it make any rattles? Some of the interior rattles come from the seals (loose harnesses, detached parts, ill fitted TEDs, wires or loom hanging down onto the seat tech, etc).

Sponsored

OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
PROBLEM SOLVED!

I wound up pulling the door apart this over the weekend to see if there was anything loose/unsecured. There are two alligator clamp pieces that are located on the metal body panel. The first one is located behind the door latch and the second one is located behind the window switch. I purchased some adhesive felt and applied it between the clamps and door frame. This both eliminated the metal on metal contact and well as made the fit tighter where they won't wiggle anymore. For good measure, I also wrapped each plastic clip in foam since they had a lot of play. I am happy to report I have driven the car the last few days and everything is silent.

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
PROBLEM SOLVED!

I wound up pulling the door apart this over the weekend to see if there was anything loose/unsecured. There are two alligator clamp pieces that are located on the metal body panel. The first one is located behind the door latch and the second one is located behind the window switch. I purchased some adhesive felt and applied it between the clamps and door frame. This both eliminated the metal on metal contact and well as made the fit tighter where they won't wiggle anymore. For good measure, I also wrapped each plastic clip in foam since they had a lot of play. I am happy to report I have driven the car the last few days and everything is silent.
Did you happen to take any pics of the clips?

My noise disappeared for months but last weekend I heard it again

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
OP
OP

svis326

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Well, the ticking came back this morning. The window ticking is gone, but there's something still coming from the kick panel area. I give up at this point.

I already did the following:
resecure the clips on the rocker panel
insulate the door panel
check the fender liner for debris
pad the BCM area

Sponsored

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Well, the ticking came back this morning. The window ticking is gone, but there's something still coming from the kick panel area. I give up at this point.

I already did the following:
resecure the clips on the rocker panel
insulate the door panel
check the fender liner for debris
pad the BCM area
same rattle. i fixed the door one just like you did. any luck with the heat shield observation

jbanh100

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jackie
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tesla Model 3 Performance
No luck. Dealers love to downplay these issues so it'll never get resolved.
That is a bummer. Thanks anyways. Very hope one day you do get it resolved though! cheers.
Sponsored