Speaker Only Upgrade

TripleM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I have read through pages and pages of Stereo Upgrade information. I am fully aware for the very best Stereo upgrades I will need amps and a DSR. I have the 9 speaker stereo.

Has anyone simply upgraded the speakers and not done all the wiring, amps, DSR, etc. and if so, was it a noticeable improvement over the pretty awful stock system or is it totally pointless unless I go all in?
Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
I am doing the following upgrades first.

Rear deck speakers replacing with GTO629 coaxial, and JL subwoofer + just bought a Polk db351 center speaker for console dash. I think removing some of the bass from the main speakers and adding the coaxial will make the system actually sound really good.

So 3 speaker swap + added sub.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
I replaced all the drivers in front with higher quality 3 way separates and disconnected the center speaker. I also installed two way separates in the rear deck but that was a waste of time as the factory amp sends so little power to the rear that they are mostly useless. Sound up front is really good but I do need to give it more power to fully realize what the better speakers can do.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TripleM

TripleM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
What specific speakers did you install in the front? Did you do the 3.5"'s the tweeters and the 6.5's?

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Morel Virtus. Yes all drivers replaced. One reason for choosing these is that the mid driver bolts in. Hard to go wrong with Morel’s.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
TripleM

TripleM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Morel Virtus. Yes all driver replaced. One reason for choosing these is that the mid driver bolts in. Hard to go wrong with Morel’s.
One more question, did you use the crossover Morel gives with these, or just swap speakers? If you did use the crossover, where do you put it?

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
One more question, did you use the crossover Morel gives with these, or just swap speakers? If you did use the crossover, where do you put it?
I have not used the Morel crossovers yet. My plan is to go further and install an amp and DSP at which time I’ll incorporate the Morel crossovers. Just replacing the factory speakers and disconnecting the center speaker has made an enormous improvement. When I install the other components it will all go under the right seat.

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 5.0 GT Coupe
I now have a dsp and a mono amp powering my system, but prior to this, I was running my upgraded speakers off the factory amplifier. It was quite good, but I couldn't resist using a dsp. These are the speakers I'm using:-

Front midbass- SO Audio 165 2.8 (shortly changing to Stereo Integrity TM65 mkIII)
Front mids- Focal ES100K components'
Rear fill- Focal 165 TOY
Subwoofers- Two Rockford 10"

Happy to provide more inputs, if needed.

OP
OP
TripleM

TripleM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I now have a dsp and a mono amp powering my system, but prior to this, I was running my upgraded speakers off the factory amplifier. It was quite good, but I couldn't resist using a dsp. These are the speakers I'm using:-

Front midbass- SO Audio 165 2.8 (shortly changing to Stereo Integrity TM65 mkIII)
Front mids- Focal ES100K components'
Rear fill- Focal 165 TOY
Subwoofers- Two Rockford 10"

Happy to provide more inputs, if needed.
Speakers are in! I added the Morel Virtus speakers in the doors, and the Polk DB351 for the center channel. Clarity and sound are 1000% better, If I had a complaint, it could use a little deeper bass. So at some point I would like to add sub in the trunk, but at that point I will probably add a dsp, amp for the doors, and add the Morel crossovers. So it becomes a spendy upgrade...

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
Speakers are in! I added the Morel Virtus speakers in the doors, and the Polk DB351 for the center channel. Clarity and sound are 1000% better, If I had a complaint, it could use a little deeper bass. So at some point I would like to add sub in the trunk, but at that point I will probably add a dsp, amp for the doors, and add the Morel crossovers. So it becomes a spendy upgrade...
This is much like what I am using currently other than a defeatable center speaker. I have the similar plan to add an amplifier, wire in the Morel crossovers and add in a subwoofer. Where that will go is not yet determined. The right trunk corner is one option but I see that some success has been had with a small pair mounted directly to the parcel shelf.

Sponsored

Nik_Ind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang 5.0 GT Coupe
Glad you liked your upgrade! Enjoy it :)

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
This is much like what I am using currently other than a defeatable center speaker. I have the similar plan to add an amplifier, wire in the Morel crossovers and add in a subwoofer. Where that will go is not yet determined. The right trunk corner is one option but I see that some success has been had with a small pair mounted directly to the parcel shelf.
What speakers did you buy? 6.5's? Did you have 3.5's in your doors as well?

slowrey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Morel Virtus 3 way separates. One option where the woofer and midrange will mount in the doors with minimal modifications.
You powering them off of the factory amp without the crossovers?

I really wanted to use my Hybrid Audio Technologies (HAT) Imagines but they don't make a 3.5" only a 4" and not sure if there is enough room to make a ring.

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
You powering them off of the factory amp without the crossovers?

I really wanted to use my Hybrid Audio Technologies (HAT) Imagines but they don't make a 3.5" only a 4" and not sure if there is enough room to make a ring.
At present, yes I’m using just stock power without the Morel crossovers. The plan is to add a processor and bypass the stock amp plus add a sub as well as wire in the crossovers. As for using a 4” midrange, my guess is it won’t fit but that really depends upon how much work you’re willing to do to make room for it. Even with my 3.5” driver there was a slight height issue I had to deal with to keep the door panel from contacting the speaker.
Sponsored