Sponsored

All over the news now. Study shows Chevrolet Corvette most deadly car in the USA

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
We are at about 1967-ish with performance cars. We are not far from 1974-ish performance cars.

These articles are going to start to hit. Insurance will go up. Government will get involved. Gas may or may not go up. And we will be buying detuned 300 HP Hellcats in no time.

History doesn't get re-worked it repeats itself. As these cars get more and more power there is going to be more and more wrecks. Either insurance or Government will step in sooner or later.
WAY off topic but,
I would agree with you: that these are the glory days with HP at record levels; and that govt or insurance is gonna' put a stop to it (again); but...
the future is battery powered and they have amazing acceleration. A EB Mustang with 200 electric HP on the front wheels might do 3 second 0-60 times! Yeah, it won't be the same as a screaming V8 but it will be fast.
Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Its actually ranked No 2.

https://www.iseecars.com/most-dangerous-cars-2019-study

iSeeCars Study - Cars with the Most Frequent Occupant Fatalities
Rank
Vehicle Fatal Accident Rate (Cars per Billion Vehicle Miles)
Mitsubishi Mirage 10.2
2 Chevrolet Corvette 9.8
3 Honda Fit 7.7
4 Kia Forte 7.4
5 Chevrolet Spark 7.2
6 Subaru BRZ 6.9
7 Nissan 370Z 6.2
8 Nissan Versa 6.1
9 Kia Rio 5.9
10 Dodge Challenger 5.8
11 Chevrolet Camaro 5.5
12 Kia Soul 5.3
13 Hyundai Veloster Turbo 5.2
14 Nissan Versa Note 5.

That being said... Whats up North Carolina??

Cars with the Most Frequent Occupant Fatalities By State
State
AZ Kia Sportage 12.5
CA Chevrolet Corvette 19.0
CO Kia Soul 7.2
FL Infiniti Q50 14.7
GA Chevrolet Spark 14.5
IL Ford Fiesta 8.5
IN Chevrolet Spark 8.7
LA Nissan Versa Note 18.9
MA Chrysler 300 8.9
MD Kia Forte 13.2
MI Kia Soul 10.1
MN Hyundai Accent 12.4
MO Kia Forte 15.5
NC Ford Mustang 8.4
NJ Nissan Frontier 14.2
NY Kia Forte 12.6
OH Nissan Versa 11.4
PA Toyota Yaris 24.2
SC Chevrolet Sonic 18.1
TN Kia Rio 14.3
TX Honda Fit 11.6
VA Ford Taurus 11.6
WA Kia Forte 14.2
WI Ford Fiesta 13.5

Challenger is representing...

Cars with the Most Frequent Occupant Fatalities By Metro Area
Metro Area
Atlanta, GA Chevrolet Spark 11.6
Boston, MA-Manchester, NH Chrysler 300 8.8
Chicago, IL Chevrolet Spark 8.2
Cleveland-Akron (Canton), OH Dodge Challenger 9.8
Dallas-Ft. Worth, TX Chevrolet Sonic 7.1
Denver, CO Buick Lacrosse 13.0
Detroit, MI Cadillac CTS 12.7
Houston, TX Kia Soul 9.3
Los Angeles, CA Mitsubishi Mirage 14.0
Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL Nissan Maxima 14.1
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN Hyundai Accent 12.6
New York, NY Toyota Camry Hybrid 21.6
Orlando-Daytona Beach, FL Jeep Wrangler 6.6
Philadelphia, PA Mazda Mazda6 14.3
Phoenix, AZ Kia Sportage 15.6
Sacramento-Stockton-Modesto, CA Dodge Challenger 18.3
San Francisco-Oakland-San Jose, CA Subaru Forester 10.6
Seattle-Tacoma, WA Kia Forte 14.1
Tampa-St Petersburg (Sarasota), FL Nissan Maxima 20.1
Washington, DC (Hagerstown, MD) Chevrolet Spark 13.2
My gf has a Honda Fit. We live in Texas

Time for me to push her towards a new ride

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
No offense, but how stupid... any car crash at high speed has a decent chance you die. What do you expect when such a great force(object) hits something that makes it come to a stop in a matter of seconds(and feet).

With cars, speed is deadly because people lose control. With SUVs and trucks, the chance of a rollover is the deadly factor. Lose-lose situation.
Crashing into a stationary object is 4 times more violent on the occupants than crashing head on into another car at the same speed.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Crashing into a stationary object is 4 times more violent on the occupants than crashing head on into another car at the same speed.
I dont think thats true, I think its the same if both cars are the same weight. Where did you get that info?

I hit a pole once but it moved slightly I guess. No injuries luckily, seems better to hit something head on than be hit from the side. I braced for impact with both arms and both legs and didnt get any injuries at all other than an airbag burn and sore wrist. I actually went to the gym the next day and did a normal workout :

XjdjD1u.jpg

The driver side headlight flew about 70 feet across the median , across 2 lanes, then into a ditch. I was going about 50 after no lift shifting 1-2 and blowing the tires off with 630 rwhp.

I now leave stability control on lol.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
My gf has a Honda Fit. We live in Texas

Time for me to push her towards a new ride
Yeah, but you're more than twice as safe as being in a Yaris in PA. ;)

Sponsored

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
I dont think thats true, I think its the same if both cars are the same weight. Where did you get that info?

I hit a pole once but it moved slightly I guess. No injuries luckily, seems better to hit something head on than be hit from the side. I braced for impact with both arms and both legs and didnt get any injuries at all other than an airbag burn and sore wrist. I actually went to the gym the next day and did a normal workout :

XjdjD1u.jpg

The driver side headlight flew about 70 feet across the median , across 2 lanes, then into a ditch. I was going about 50 after no lift shifting 1-2 and blowing the tires off with 630 rwhp.

I now leave stability control on lol.
Yes it’s true, you need to google the research beind it. Two cars colliding head on have crumple zones that absorb massive amounts of energy, if the vehicles are different weights or are travelling at different speeds the energy absorbed by each vehicle is different but from studies show that it is approximately 4 times less violent on the occupants than if the car hit a stationary un movable object.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes it’s true, you need to google the research beind it. Two cars colliding head on have crumple zones that absorb massive amounts of energy, if the vehicles are different weights or are travelling at different speeds the energy absorbed by each vehicle is different but from studies show that it is approximately 4 times less violent on the occupants than if the car hit a stationary un movable object.
I did google it and only found stuff saying its the same as hitting a solid wall if the other car weighs the same, so if you have a source for your claim I would like to see that.

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
I did google it and only found stuff saying its the same as hitting a solid wall if the other car weighs the same, so if you have a source for your claim I would like to see that.
There’s heaps of stuff on the physics of car crashes and how kinetic energy affects each type. Exponentially more violent for occupants hitting a wall the another car head on.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There’s heaps of stuff on the physics of car crashes and how kinetic energy affects each type. Exponentially more violent for occupants hitting a wall the another car head on.
All the information I can find on this says that is not true and its the same as a solid object if the other car weighs the same.

And if it isnt true, it is very bad to spread this type of information because people may believe it then choose to swerve into a car head-on possibly killing additional people instead of choosing a wall or a pole or a tree. (in some type of lost brakes or evasive maneuver scenario)

So, if you cant provide a reputable source I will continue to believe it is not true and I will also keep attempting to stop this dangerous misinformation.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
This data is 17yrs old... No comparison. Cars are much safer now..
I think the point was that older peopled died at a higher rate than younger age categories for every vehicle type based on that study/data. I doubt that particular statistic would have changed much, even though cars are obviously much safer now than they used to be. They are safer for everyone, so the ratios between old and young deaths would probably remain about the same.

I think it's the old adage about "bouncing back" from injuries, major and minor.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
All the information I can find on this says that is not true and its the same as a solid object if the other car weighs the same.

And if it isnt true, it is very bad to spread this type of information because people may believe it then choose to swerve into a car head-on possibly killing additional people instead of choosing a wall or a pole or a tree. (in some type of lost brakes or evasive maneuver scenario)

So, if you cant provide a reputable source I will continue to believe it is not true and I will also keep attempting to stop this dangerous misinformation.
I have no idea if it's true or not, but from a physics standpoint, hitting another car head-on effectively doubles the crush distance (since both cars are likely to have crumple zones), reducing rapid deceleration by half. The factor that doesn't make sense to me is that speed (assuming both cars are traveling the same speed) is also doubled, and speed has a higher impact on energy than mass does (speed is squared, mass is linear). So, the crumple zones get twice as long, but the speed is also twice as fast bringing much more energy to the crash. I'm not convinced about the "4x more violent hitting stationary object" stat mentioned either. I'd be interested to see some real data or a study to back that claim.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I have no idea if it's true or not, but from a physics standpoint, hitting another car head-on effectively doubles the crush distance (since both cars are likely to have crumple zones), reducing rapid deceleration by half. The factor that doesn't make sense to me is that speed (assuming both cars are traveling the same speed) is also doubled, and speed has a higher impact on energy than mass does (speed is squared, mass is linear). So, the crumple zones get twice as long, but the speed is also twice as fast bringing much more energy to the crash. I'm not convinced about the "4x more violent hitting stationary object" stat mentioned either. I'd be interested to see some real data or a study to back that claim.
The crush distance inside each car is not doubled. Assuming two cars are identical, hit perfectly in line and are both travelling the same speed, you can draw a line between them at the collision point and know that the line doesn't move. So, from the standpoint of each car, IMO it's identical to hitting a stationary wall in that situation.

However, it's impossible for both cars to hit perfectly in that way, so in the real world the collision between two cars will be gentler than hitting a stationary object. The cars will partially overlap and bounce sideways off each other or turn/slide away from each other rather than smashing perfectly and stopping like a car hitting a wall does.

So, I believe that both are right. Yes it's like hitting a stationary object if two identical cars going the same speed hit straight on, but that occurrence of hitting perfectly in line will never, ever happen in the real world.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The crush distance inside each car is not doubled. Assuming two cars are identical, hit perfectly in line and are both travelling the same speed, you can draw a line between them at the collision point and know that the line doesn't move. So, from the standpoint of each car, IMO it's identical to hitting a stationary wall in that situation.

However, it's impossible for both cars to hit perfectly in that way, so in the real world the collision between two cars will be gentler than hitting a stationary object. The cars will partially overlap and bounce sideways off each other or turn/slide away from each other rather than smashing perfectly and stopping like a car hitting a wall does.

So, I believe that both are right. Yes it's like hitting a stationary object if two identical cars going the same speed hit straight on, but that occurrence of hitting perfectly in line will never, ever happen in the real world.
Good points, you're right about the impact crush distance. My mistake.
Sponsored