Search functions here are bad. Looking for info on 90 mm TB's

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Yeah, before someone comes on and says you shoulda searched for it first, I did, nothing shows up. Search topic was exact words here: 90 mm throttle body on an 18 and up results. 7.3 L threads come up, all sorts of other stuff, but not a darn thing about 90 mm throttle bodies. With that said, I'm interested in real world results, especially dyno before and after results for n/a Gen 3 Coyote's. I followed a couple people last year (on Facebook) who were trying thru a couple different tuners (I will leave those names out because it really doesn't matter) who were trying to get 90 mm TB's to work properly on Gen 3's. Neither of them could. Now that was last summer, wondering if anything has changed? Wondering if anyone's tuner finally got them to work properly, and if so, what were the gains? I'm particularly interested because I've done everything else I can to make power and although I don't expect a 90 mm TB to make much more, it might, especially on the E85 and in combo with my JLT 120 mm air tube. I also remember seeing someone (again on Facebook) in a group somewhere make the claim that JLT now has an air tube adapter that fits the 90 mm TB's. I looked on JLT's site, never found that either. Any info on this topic would be nice. $500 is a lot to spend on an item that typically (on other Mustang applications) only provided at best 5 extra wheel hp.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yeah, before someone comes on and says you shoulda searched for it first, I did, nothing shows up. Search topic was exact words here: 90 mm throttle body on an 18 and up results. 7.3 L threads come up, all sorts of other stuff, but not a darn thing about 90 mm throttle bodies. With that said, I'm interested in real world results, especially dyno before and after results for n/a Gen 3 Coyote's. I followed a couple people last year (on Facebook) who were trying thru a couple different tuners (I will leave those names out because it really doesn't matter) who were trying to get 90 mm TB's to work properly on Gen 3's. Neither of them could. Now that was last summer, wondering if anything has changed? Wondering if anyone's tuner finally got them to work properly, and if so, what were the gains? I'm particularly interested because I've done everything else I can to make power and although I don't expect a 90 mm TB to make much more, it might, especially on the E85 and in combo with my JLT 120 mm air tube. I also remember seeing someone (again on Facebook) in a group somewhere make the claim that JLT now has an air tube adapter that fits the 90 mm TB's. I looked on JLT's site, never found that either. Any info on this topic would be nice. $500 is a lot to spend on an item that typically (on other Mustang applications) only provided at best 5 extra wheel hp.

Psssssst.....

Here’s every thread with “90mm” in the thread title...
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/search/1368359/?q=90mm&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Here’s every thread with “90mm” mentioned in the thread body (or posts):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/search/1368348/?q=90mm&o=date

OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Psssssst.....

Here’s every thread with “90mm” in the thread title...
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/search/1368359/?q=90mm&o=date&c[title_only]=1

Here’s every thread with “90mm” mentioned in the thread body (or posts):
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/search/1368348/?q=90mm&o=date
Thanks but I don't want every thread with 90 mm mentioned. I want my application specific info, which doesn't seem to exist here. Again, thanks though. '18 A10 5.0 L stuff only, and an answer to the adapter for the JLT cai would be nice too, searching for that also doesn't net me anything real to read.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I'd ask your preferred tuner, if they don't like tuning for it, it doesn't matter if someone else managed to get 3 more hp because of it. I'd say get your intake manifold ported instead of worrying about the tb.

The reason you're not finding results, is because nobody is really posting on (or apparently really even running) very specific combinations like that. It's not needed NA.

OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I'd ask your preferred tuner, if they don't like tuning for it, it doesn't matter if someone else managed to get 3 more hp because of it. I'd say get your intake manifold ported instead of worrying about the tb.

The reason you're not finding results, is because nobody is really posting on (or apparently really even running) very specific combinations like that. It's not needed NA.
In no way, will I disagree with you. But I'm still interested in this topic. As far as porting the manifold, I don't think that is worth it only because of the hassle, its a lot easier to remove a few bolts (TB) than it is to remove the intake manifold. So ease of gaining a few hp is why I'm curious about this the most. I don't happen to think porting an '18 manifold is worth the time or effort, or expense, unless I were to build a motor for boost and at the same time do billet OPG's, etc.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
In no way, will I disagree with you. But I'm still interested in this topic. As far as porting the manifold, I don't think that is worth it only because of the hassle, its a lot easier to remove a few bolts (TB) than it is to remove the intake manifold. So ease of gaining a few hp is why I'm curious about this the most. I don't happen to think porting an '18 manifold is worth the time or effort, or expense, unless I were to build a motor for boost and at the same time do billet OPG's, etc.

More people are porting their intake manifolds than replacing their throttle bodies because it yields more noticeable gains.

OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
More people are porting their intake manifolds than replacing their throttle bodies because it yields more noticeable gains.
On Gen 1 and 2's I agree. On my Gen 3, its just not worth the expense or hassle. But that doesn't stop people from doing it... In fact, the gains people claim can be easily seen as a rounding error, or an average difference between one dyno pull and another so that's why I am asking about '18 and up 90 mm TB's as an easy alternative, although I realize, they aren't cheap either. I'll likely drop this from my list of potential things to do, $500 and a tuning nightmare for 5 whp isn't worth it to me. Neither is porting my already superior '18 intake manifold for roughly the same gains earlier gen coyotes got from a TB swap. I let my curiosity run wild when I created this thread I guess.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I know it's not exactly what you wanted but why not try a ford racing stage 2 power pack. It comes with an 87 mm TB and the GT 350 CAI and an adapter plate to fit the 87 mm tb. It also comes with a tune from the engineers at ford so you know it runs right. I found a guy in Hinckley Ohio who was able to access the ford tune to adjust for my long tube headers. Now I have a gen 2 but I still got 425 to the tires with a stage 2 power pack and headers on shell 93 on a 95 degree day. 2 years ago when the stage 2 first came out they were 800, they are cheaper now.

OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I know it's not exactly what you wanted but why not try a ford racing stage 2 power pack. It comes with an 87 mm TB and the GT 350 CAI and an adapter plate to fit the 87 mm tb. It also comes with a tune from the engineers at ford so you know it runs right. I found a guy in Hinckley Ohio who was able to access the ford tune to adjust for my long tube headers. Now I have a gen 2 but I still got 425 to the tires with a stage 2 power pack and headers on shell 93 on a 95 degree day. 2 years ago when the stage 2 first came out they were 800, they are cheaper now.
That combo would lose me a lot of power. I have a data logged and completely revised E85 tune. Going back to pump gas would lose me around 30 whp, maybe more. I'm sitting at 490 wheel right now. Where at in NE Ohio are you? Hinckley, been a while since I've been up there, famous for the buzzards returning year after year correct? :)

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Western burbs of Cleveland, and yes the buzzards are what hinckley is known for. I didn't know you were running E-85. You might want to give the guy a call and see what they can do, it won't hurt to make a phone call at least. http://www.big3racing.net/
Sponsored