RockyRidge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 / CLK500 / Soon Shelby GT350
Hi everyone,

I have been following this forum for a couple of weeks now and think my time has come to ask for some advice. I am actually from Germany where Ford does not offer the GT350 but what I have seen an read, I have absolutely fallen in love with the car. Therefore, my only option would be an import of a car. Of course, that means I forfeit the official Ford warranty which may cause quite some trouble in the future.

From what I have read and seen, blown engines, oil loss due to the oil filter and other issues do not seem to be uncommon. Having no one over here in Germany to give me some advice, I would like to ask you the following questions:
  1. I am in the market for a 2016/17 GT350 – can one say which of the model years would generally be more reliable?
  2. Many of the cars I have seen at dealerships seem to be buyback cars. From their warranty history report, one can see that many times they got new engines. Sometimes however receiving new engines seemed to be followed up by other problems, such as left debris in the oil coolers, stuck thermostats and so on. What is your experience if you had the engine replaced? Did you follow up issues?
  3. Would it be wise to rather go for a model with a new engine or one that has been running for let’s say 20K miles?

I am sure I will come up with more questions, but thanks for your help!

Ps: I am not a native English speaker so plz forgive me for maybe not being all that clear
Sponsored

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
English looks ok to me.

1. No.

2. I wouldn't buy a buyback car.

3. No, buy new or a low miles original owner car.

If you care to further discuss oil consumption and blown engines, search for those topics on this forum and present those questions there.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If possible I think your best bet would be to buy from a forum member who has/wishes to sell and will more likely be honest about their car's oil consumption, warranty work, or any other potential problems/defects especially given your circumstance. It's always a bit of a crapshoot but a dealer car more likely has been unloaded by someone and while an engine replacement isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as under warranty, you don't have that luxury.

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Hi Rockyridge, welcome to the forums. Are the cars you’re looking at grey market imports already in the EU or are you looking at cars stateside and will be importing them to Germany yourself?

OP
OP
RockyRidge

RockyRidge

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 / CLK500 / Soon Shelby GT350
Hi Rockyridge, welcome to the forums. Are the cars you’re looking at grey market imports already in the EU or are you looking at cars stateside and will be importing them to Germany yourself?
Hi, I am looking for cars in the US and will import it myself (i.e. I have a company to take care of it for me). So far I have been regularly checking the usual websites and contacting a couple of private and commercial sellers.

I still have approx. 2-3 weeks until I have the funds available and will then hopefully be able to find my car
Sponsored

Last edited: