Front Splitter Concerns

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Tnx

They do not, the stock splitter on the pp2 cars come predrilled. I mounted the lower splitter up with a few push pins along the back and bolted the side up then marked the pins, they don't need to be perfect, and probably can be removed.
Sponsored

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
I have a 2018 PP1 and really like the look of the PP2 front splitter. There are a few options that I know of.
1. Order the actual part from Ford $300-ish
2. ZL1Addon splitter $200-ish
3. SVE splitter $150
4. APR carbon fiber splitter $400 or something like that

I like the first three options because they do NOT have those splitter rods (looks cleaner in my opinion) but I have read somewhere that without the rods, the splitter is not fastened on securely enough and can come off at high speeds.

Does anyone have any experience with these splitters (or any splitter in general)? Are they secure at high speeds? Thanks in advance
I had the APR carbon splitter on mine for a while ~ 2 years. I had it secured to every point imaginable under my belly pan and added additional spacers (wider) under the lip of the bumper to ensure the tiny spacers they give you did not rip through. Everything was fine until...

Finally got to a place where I could really get on it after I switched to E85...Also known as a long frontage road with not entry or exit for ~3 miles :) At 160 I thought I lost my motor, so did my buddy who was running next to me. Pulled over immediately as all my warning lights never came on and the car still drove fine. Besides what looked like smoke dumping out of my front end. The splitter ripped the underside of my bumper off and pealed the belly pan off its mounting points ; lucky for me the smoke was dust the splitter was scraping up from the concrete.

Lesson...if you go APR make sure 100% you have that secured to the metal support in the bumper (crash bar) or do not put it on. If you ever decide to get above 150 and it is not, expect it to scare the shit out of you....

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
I had the APR carbon splitter on mine for a while ~ 2 years. I had it secured to every point imaginable under my belly pan and added additional spacers (wider) under the lip of the bumper to ensure the tiny spacers they give you did not rip through. Everything was fine until...

Finally got to a place where I could really get on it after I switched to E85...Also known as a long frontage road with not entry or exit for ~3 miles :) At 160 I thought I lost my motor, so did my buddy who was running next to me. Pulled over immediately as all my warning lights never came on and the car still drove fine. Besides what looked like smoke dumping out of my front end. The splitter ripped the underside of my bumper off and pealed the belly pan off its mounting points ; lucky for me the smoke was dust the splitter was scraping up from the concrete.

Lesson...if you go APR make sure 100% you have that secured to the metal support in the bumper (crash bar) or do not put it on. If you ever decide to get above 150 and it is not, expect it to scare the shit out of you....
Yeah I've come to the conclusion that 99% of the splitters available for this car are just for show. The support rods that screw into the plastic bumper for example, that's not doing much. The splitter rods on the FP350S mount to the crash bar like you said.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost

So your situation totally sucks and I am sorry that happened, however, the amount of down force generated to the point your bumper got ripped off is awesome. Once you secure it to the bumper support vs the bumper, I wonder how well it pairs with the apr rear spoiler at high speed. Did the car feel stable until that happened? I've been eying this splitter but I know it's not like the average one out there so I really want to do my homework. Do you believe that securing it to the bumper support would have prevented this?

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I have a cheap ebay PP2 splitter. I've been 130+ multiple times with no issues.

Sponsored

whokilledkaji

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Premium
I have a cheap ebay PP2 splitter. I've been 130+ multiple times with no issues.
I have the same splitter from eBay and it looks pretty great! I bought it after seeing these threads:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/2018-gt-pp2-front-splitter.119277/#post-2502740

and

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/ikon-motorsports-ebay-pp2-splitter.119660/

I can't comment on using it for racing or anything like that, but I've had zero problems so far too! I love it!

57a7fb82-6479-4553-97a9-7057861e701c-jpeg.jpg

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Remember the apr splitter goes under the car too, creates an area of down force, the eBay splitter, if does not do that is just for looks

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running the MMD splitter and have had it up over 150 mph no problems. The adaptive cruise control radar made positioning of the support rods interesting in order to avoid false reflections.
IMG_0353.JPG

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
So your situation totally sucks and I am sorry that happened, however, the amount of down force generated to the point your bumper got ripped off is awesome. Once you secure it to the bumper support vs the bumper, I wonder how well it pairs with the apr rear spoiler at high speed. Did the car feel stable until that happened? I've been eying this splitter but I know it's not like the average one out there so I really want to do my homework. Do you believe that securing it to the bumper support would have prevented this?
In hindsight I should have drilled access holes in the bumper in the same place i had it mounted so the rods could be secured to the bumper support or something metal and sturdy. Now that the holes are "pre drilled" :) I may put the splitter back on. This time, I will get longer rods and tap into the the bumper support. I will also get longer bolts and washers and rather than use the belly pan alone as the securing point I will tap into the metal mounting points.

As far as stability I have almost everything BMR makes under the car so I cant really say I felt More/Less stable with the splitter. It was on the car for almost 3 years as well so i might have been numb to any effects. I can say it is more than just for looks now but for those who followed an instructions on this forum as far as how/where to mount it they need to be careful if they ever really take the car up to 150+. I have done numerous pulls to 140/145 and never had any issues though.

I will add that when the splitter ripped things off it tore off the belly pan as well as the front lip since it was mounted to all of those pieces.

View attachment 365888

View attachment 365886
View attachment 365883
splitter.jpg
splitter1.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

HOJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Humberto
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP 1
Just recently installed the Scott Drake front splitter from LMR. It's slightly bigger than the PP2 and definitely gives it a more agressive look. It's secured by 3M tape and bolts as well. I've taken it multiple times over 100 and it's been holding up well. I'm going to add some splitter rods soon as well for more support.
LRM_EXPORT_142680030334048_20190510_105634174.jpeg

Owww, so nice!!!

Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
You don't need to drill the pan, it has holes from the factory, you only drill into the splitter to access the nut plates and for the alignment pins.
I drilled for the nut plates once everything else was riveted and bolted up.
20190520_084856.jpg
Just to be sure one needs to drill the OEM splitter to reveal the nut plates that are in the belly pan, as the belly pan is tucked in under the OEM PP1 splitter and has the nut plates?

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking at the $550 option of the Q Fascia, 2 piece with a bumper piece with a fully molded 1.25" extended chin splitter attached to it. Probably more cosmetic than functional, but they say it is safe to use without support rods.

steeda q fascia spliter.jpg

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Just recently installed the Scott Drake front splitter from LMR. It's slightly bigger than the PP2 and definitely gives it a more agressive look. It's secured by 3M tape and bolts as well. I've taken it multiple times over 100 and it's been holding up well. I'm going to add some splitter rods soon as well for more support.
LRM_EXPORT_142680030334048_20190510_105634174.jpeg
I just ordered this splitter today. Gonna get the Cervini upper and lower grille to complete the front end I’m looking for.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Installed it last week. Just drove to South Carolina to see my kids 500 miles one way today and will be heading back Sunday. It’s dirty but holding great.
5AD29886-6910-445C-BDAB-6E15C1165E79.jpeg
981805F4-7468-479D-8C56-46A7A9E605F1.jpeg
F446754D-62AF-477A-91AB-2DEC9C02209D.jpeg

LetItRide1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
PP2 splitter installed on my PP1 car
C878A32C-AB52-447A-AF4F-FA67D73CF118.jpeg