Sponsored

Dealership drove my car 88 miles!!!

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP, 2016 Corvette C7 Z06
Vehicle Showcase
As I'm finalizing the RAV buyback for my car, I've been going through my old service records in order to ensure that the mileage being used by Ford in order to determine when the issue with my car first started is accurate (it wasn't and has been changed after I brought it to their attention).

It was then that I found this little gem:
During one visit to Perry Ford of Santa Barbara, I had asked them to do the basic maintenance AS WELL as check to see what was going on with my engine. I was told that my car would most likely be ready by the end of the day. So, I returned later on that day, and was told my car wasn't ready for pickup, but I could take care of the basic service charge (oil change, tire rotation, etc..). On the service slip that was printed, my mileage "in" was listed at X1238 miles. My car then remained at the dealership for another week before I was asked to pick it up after what eventually turned out to be a "bogus" fix was done. The mileage "in" as well as "out" was now listed at X1326 miles. As I was already frustrated with the entire situation, I didn't notice the 88 mile difference that someone other than myself added to my car while it was in for "servicing". Again, I only noticed this today while looking through all of my service records for my RAV case. Needless to say, I'm fuming. This isn't the only issue I've had with Perry Ford (scratched my rims during a basic tire change, lied to about repairs being done to my car, refusal to do work on my car despite it being covered by the Ford factory warranty, etc...).

I'm currently planning on writing a pretty "strong" letter to Ford HQ (as well as the BBB), with hopes that they will answer me. My question is: could all of this behavior be considered fraud? I feel like someway, somehow, there has to (hopefully) be a law protecting the consumer from such practices. And does anyone have a good contact at Ford HQ that would take all of this seriously? After talking to multiple people (as well as other local Ford Dealerships), it seems like everyone is aware of the practices at Perry Ford, yet they are still able to act in such a nefarious manner.
For me, this was an important reminder to ALWAYS take a picture of my mileage when dropping my car off, and I will now ALWAYS make sure to tell them in person that I have a record of the mileage in order to hopefully deter any possible "joyrides". This was also unfortunately prior to mounting a dash cam in my car.
So yes, if you are in the SB/Central-Coast area of CA, avoid Perry Ford of SB at all cost!!
Sponsored

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
Damn that sucks. I’d be pissed too.

I do note the mileage in and I also would pop open my Ford Pass App every once in awhile while the car was in the shop to see if any mileage had been added to it.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Exactly why you avoid dealers at all cost and go to a place where you can watch the work get done.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
?

Pissed over 88 miles and it’s goong to be let go via a RAV Buy Back?

What people don’t realize is there is fine print when you sign ANY work order for Service work - in that fine print you have authorized that Dealership to perform their duties for diagnosis and repair - which includes the use of your vehicle. That means they can drive it feet from the parking lot to the bay and back, or drive it miles be it 1 or 100.

Hell, my prior 2016 (a RAV Case too) was driven well over 300+ miles for multiple warranty visits for diagnosis and attempted repairs for the driveline vibration....

I wouldn’t even fret over it, I mean why give yourself ulcers on a vehicle you’re no longer going to own?

And yes, the RAV mileage penalty (if applicable depending on your State Lemon laws) IS based on the initial mileage in instance of the first attempted repair for which the car is being bought back by Ford. So if you do have the work order showing that mileage, that right there is your proof to RAV that they need to use THAT mileage as the documented mileage for the usage penalty fee.

Oh and guess what, Ford HQ, Bill Ford, and any other higher ups could give two shits about you, me or any other customer of Ford’s. I sent Bill Ford and (3) other higher ups a lengthy email (and yes, the email addresses were correct) when I had issues with my prior 2016... you think I got ANY reply? LMFAO, zilch. I would have had better luck flying over Bill Ford’s house dangling from the leg of Mary Poppins and falling onto his head.

The only way you’ll get noticed is if you post your grief on any Social Media account tied to Ford - THEN you’ll get their attention. Want another way? If you received ANY “surveys” from that Ford Dealership or Ford, fill it out as negatively as possible... you will definitely get a response (yes, it works, I did it).

Best of luck.

Brazos609

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP Recaro
Driving a car 88 miles over the course of a week trying to duplicate a problem isn't out of the ordinary. I've taken a vehicle to the dealership for problems that only occur every 50-100 miles and told them to drive it every day until they could duplicate the problem.

OP
OP
AmericanV8Guy

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Driving a car 88 miles over the course of a week trying to duplicate a problem isn't out of the ordinary. I've taken a vehicle to the dealership for problems that only occur every 50-100 miles and told them to drive it every day until they could duplicate the problem.
It's out of the ordinary when the service tech told me that the car didn't even budge from the lot, as well as the fact that they changed the mile "in" on the paper work. Also, it's really not ordinary for a dealership to do so. In your case, that may be fair for your specific problem. That wasn't the case for mine, as it was prevalent all the time. Also, I finally brought it to another dealership that actually found the issue (pieces of metal in my cylinder heads), and they were able to do the repairs, all while only putting 3 miles on the car. You only need 20 miles to get from one side of my town to the other. 88 miles in this area is definitely a joyride.

OP
OP
AmericanV8Guy

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If they are taking that poor care of the car in their possession I'd doubt they are even doing any proper service or diagnosis.
They didn't. Turns out that they actually lied to me, said the issue was from the intake manifold (which I knew wasn't possible). The next dealership asked me if I ever had a CEL. Told them no. They then told me that Perry put in to the Ford system (Oasis I think?) that I had a CEL on my car, so that they could change the intake manifold, in order to make "money" off of me aka not even attempting to fix the issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AmericanV8Guy

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly why you avoid dealers at all cost and go to a place where you can watch the work get done.
I would, but the car was (is) under warranty, so it is Ford's responsibility to fix the issue. I would love to bring it to another shop (such as the performance shop that I use), but I don't feel like spending a few hundred or thousand dollars in repairs that are supposed to be covered by my warranty.

Sponsored
OP
OP
AmericanV8Guy

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

fmc_smt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt , 2015 Escape , 2015 F250
Vehicle Showcase
And 3 miles for a road test is not a proper test drive for an engine repair . Just saying .

OP
OP
AmericanV8Guy

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Damn that sucks. I’d be pissed too.

I do note the mileage in and I also would pop open my Ford Pass App every once in awhile while the car was in the shop to see if any mileage had been added to it.
I always forget about the Ford Pass App. Never used it. Probably should have. I have caught another dealership doing shit (or actually not doing any work to my car as it sat in the same spot for a week, despite them claiming to have "looked into my engine") thanks to my dash cam that installed a while back.

OP
OP
AmericanV8Guy

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And 3 miles for a road test is not a proper test drive for an engine repair . Just saying .
Seeing as it was ticking like a madman prior to the repairs, and was silent (albeit only for around 150 miles) after the repairs, I think 3 miles would be plenty, ESPECIALLY as it was recommended to break the engine in again for the first 500 miles after repairs.

OP
OP
AmericanV8Guy

AmericanV8Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
?

Pissed over 88 miles and it’s goong to be let go via a RAV Buy Back?

What people don’t realize is there is fine print when you sign ANY work order for Service work - in that fine print you have authorized that Dealership to perform their duties for diagnosis and repair - which includes the use of your vehicle. That means they can drive it feet from the parking lot to the bay and back, or drive it miles be it 1 or 100.

Hell, my prior 2016 (a RAV Case too) was driven well over 300+ miles for multiple warranty visits for diagnosis and attempted repairs for the driveline vibration....

I wouldn’t even fret over it, I mean why give yourself ulcers on a vehicle you’re no longer going to own?

And yes, the RAV mileage penalty (if applicable depending on your State Lemon laws) IS based on the initial mileage in instance of the first attempted repair for which the car is being bought back by Ford. So if you do have the work order showing that mileage, that right there is your proof to RAV that they need to use THAT mileage as the documented mileage for the usage penalty fee.

Oh and guess what, Ford HQ, Bill Ford, and any other higher ups could give two shits about you, me or any other customer of Ford’s. I sent Bill Ford and (3) other higher ups a lengthy email (and yes, the email addresses were correct) when I had issues with my prior 2016... you think I got ANY reply? LMFAO, zilch. I would have had better luck flying over Bill Ford’s house dangling from the leg of Mary Poppins and falling onto his head.

The only way you’ll get noticed is if you post your grief on any Social Media account tied to Ford - THEN you’ll get their attention. Want another way? If you received ANY “surveys” from that Ford Dealership or Ford, fill it out as negatively as possible... you will definitely get a response (yes, it works, I did it).

Best of luck.
As I originally posted, I have had a LOT more issues with this specific dealer. This one I was unaware of until today, so it's more like "icing on the cake". So it's really not "just" the 88 miles. Its a bunch of other shit that I have gone into detail in some of my other posts in regards to their service. The think that pisses me off the most is that they refused to fix my car, despite being covered by my warranty, which led to further and potentially preventable damage being done to the engine. Also, my car developed a loud "clunk" from the transmission only a few dozen miles after this whole story. I never knew why, but now I may have found the problem. Coincidence? I think not.
Sponsored