Sponsored

What diff fluid are you running for HPDE ?

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Alex paddle shifts his. I just let the computer take care of mine at this point in track mode. I may try the paddles in the future but I want to get my coolers on and test them before I add a variable to the equation. I'm already changing to shorter and stickier tires so that will make the trans work a bit harder by itself.
How will shorter stickier tires make the trans work harder?

For HPDE driving do S shifter position and Track mode minimize unneeded "lift throttle upshifts"? Some back road testing seems to indicate that at higher speeds it does tend to stay in the current gear during some lifts. At autocross speeds the trans upshifts far too often so it is much better to shift manually.

Thanks,
Sponsored

lil'Zeus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane Landis
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 1993 Ford Lightning 2018 Jeep Unlimited Sahara 2004 Ford F150
The tranny on the track is amazing. It holds the gears and puts you in the correct gear to maximize power at whatever speed you are at. I say the shorter tires make it work harder as it throws off the speedo and it makes it shift more than what it does with the stock tires that are an inch taller. These hoosier r7's are 295/30R19's. I almost think 295/35R19 would be better even at 27.1" compared to the stock 27" height. That is just my opinion. I have only run these tire one time ant that was at NCM in bowling green KY and that track is so big with so many corners it just drove this cars dick in the dirt in my opinion. It is the only track I have driven on so far that I feel I would have been better off with a manual. In straight sections this will pull away from the shelbys.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Yes I paddle shifting. What I don't like about Also is that I like to control downshifting and especially in small straight between turns I've seen the trans shifting too many times. Yes the cooler doesn't work below 200. I know it's for sure because I'm testing the new cooler and it doesn't get anything hard including the lines before 180 / 200 f.

Last edited:

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Performance Package
Full Tilt Boogie has a lightweight diff cooler setup for $1k. Only 12 lbs for the whole setup (pump, radiator, fittings etc.) as I asked them how much it weighed. That's something I appreciate about the SS stock setup. All of the Alpha based SS's have oil to water cooling lines in the diff from the factory. You don't need to buy the track model to get diff cooling...yet Ford cheaped out even on many of the GT350 variants, in fact the only Mustangs that came with diff coolers were the Track Packs, correct? Diff cooling and IRS movement (bushing deflection) is the two biggest gripes I have with the stock S550 setup. Other than that, it's a pretty decent car even stock, well ok the 2nd Gen 5.0's engine tuning sucks big time, but at least it isn't unreliable, just anemic. But other than that....

http://www.fulltiltboogieracing.com/S550_diff_cooler_kit.html

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, I wonder if https://www.redlineoil.com/75w110-gl-5-gear-oil their 75W-110 would work well. It's just a little more viscous than 90, but not as thick as 140. Kind of like stepping up from 5W-20 to 5W-30. I'm always of the mind set of lets go with a fluid that is just thick enough, but no thicker. Drag = less power to the wheels. I want to maximize power while still providing adequate protection. May be a good solution for non-cooled diffs for HPDE sessions. Then again, if you get 140 weight hot enough, it becomes 90 weight so maybe for HPDE 140 is still the way to go. Just change the fluid after the track day back to 75W-90 or OE spec 75W-85.

BTW, has anyone had any issues with running 5W-30 on the stock cooling system (PP cars with the larger radiator) for HPDE? I've been thinking of stepping up to PUP 0W-40 for track days and then going back to 5W-30 for street. Oil cooler is the most ideal solution, but not sure if it's worth the cost / hastle for just a few HPDE sessions each year. Maybe running thicker oil for a track day is the more practical solution as most do. I know the 2018's user manual calls for 5W-30 for track days now and 5W-20 for street.

I just recently stepped up to 5W-30 for street applications and so far it's worked out wonderfully. Top end noise is much less. Especially once things get hot, the PUP 5W-30 performs much better. For normal driving, I get slightly better fuel economy with PUP 5W-30 over MC 5W-20 as well which really surprised me, most likely due to the better add pack, which more than offsets any mild drag losses of going up one viscosity grade from a thick 20 weight to a thin 30 weight. Cold flow of PUP 5W-30 is actually better than MC 5W-20 as well. 5W-30 all the way for street use, but I think it may even hold up well for HPDE.

Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
I use mobil 0w40 for my 18 pp1 since day 1 .
This was my first question
Billy johnson (FP driver) suggested me to go this way and I'm happy.
0w40 is a great combo. Premium oil. Most car in europe use it . and.. Way cheaper for my 11 quarts ( i have an oil cooler)
10k miles .
16 track days.
I do oil change every 2k miles . (usually 2 or 3 track days plus the trip for and back the track)

I'd like also to highly suggest friction reducer.
I'm using MOTORKOTE now but I also used CERATEC.

I have it in my engine oil and diff .
I might add some also for my 10speed .
I thinknis a piece of mind for extra protection, less heat and...hp .(Like you said less drag)
My car 10speed stock with catback produces 429hp on dynojet (officially use by Nasa for time trials class calculation) .
So you may want to consider it.

TheLion70x77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. I already use TriboTEX DLC coating in my 2nd gen 5.0, so I'm familiar with the use of ultra low friction coatings in engines. Works extremely well with MoDTC and the organic zinc compounds used in PU/PUP oils. Same additives are in PUP 0W-40 as in 5W-30 I'm currently running, just the viscosity is different, I think 0W-40 is a bit over kill for street, so I'll stick with 5W-30 until track day.

That's good to hear on the 0W-40 however and I can certainly agree with Billy Johnson's choice given my extensive research on GTL oils. What's really impressive is the performance it delivers at half the cost of something like Driven's mPAO's. As I've stated before, there are actual race teams that use off-the-shelf PUP 0W-40, two that I know of, Penske's Viper ACR lemans team and also the Formula 1 team (Twin Turbo V6 that runs up to 12,000 RPM) that run off-the-shelf PUP 0W-40 in dedicated track cars.

NASCAR obviously uses special race blends not available to for street use as those are flat tappet engines, but the Penske NASCAR team does use the same Pure Plus base oil that's in off-the-shelf PUP and won the mfg's championship for 2018 with it in their Ford Fusion. So no arguments on the PUP, I was just curious how the 0W-40 worked out for track use and it seems that it's worth the step up for HPDE days.

I'll give PUP 0W-40 and RedLine 75W-110 a try for my day when I get a chance and see how that goes on the stock cooling systems before I decided if a diff cooler and air to oil cooler are really needed for occasional HPDE.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
I use MOTORKOTE.
on the diff and
On the engine oil.
Very good product
Take a look on youtube
Project farm Motorkote. This guy tests bunch of stuff(not paid bu any company)
And the motorkote test seems very good

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
When I got my car a couple of years ago everybody on this forum was all hot on BG trans and diff fluids. I started using their stuff as a result and their trans fluid helped smooth out shifting issues for certain (MT82). I have only had a diff overheat once, that on an extremely hot day on a track that is very fast. Kind of funny no one has mentioned their stuff on this thread.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
When I got my car a couple of years ago everybody on this forum was all hot on BG trans and diff fluids. I started using their stuff as a result and their trans fluid helped smooth out shifting issues for certain (MT82). I have only had a diff overheat once, that on an extremely hot day on a track that is very fast. Kind of funny no one has mentioned their stuff on this thread.
A lot more people who change their fluid use it than not. Very popular via Opmustang.com. I am too.

strike-eagle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Base
The MT82 doesn't run that hot to require it. For racing, a trans cooler is obviously a good idea, but for HPDE, people haven't had widespread issues. Diff, yes. The Tremec in the GT350 has a totally different housing and does need cooling.
I'm curious, do we know how hot the MT82 gets exactly? At one event, I wasn't even pushing that hard, but the cup holder/shifter area in the cabin got almost too hot to touch. Maybe it's just normal.

johnson.ba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Track Pack
I'm curious, do we know how hot the MT82 gets exactly? At one event, I wasn't even pushing that hard, but the cup holder/shifter area in the cabin got almost too hot to touch. Maybe it's just normal.
That heat is from the cats . The trans doesn't get hot like the diff does.

pgonza2723

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
Vehicle Showcase

What I'm currently running and will probably continue to run at this point. No issues to report at this point on 3 sessions.
Sponsored