Blackstone oil analysis

RickH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
GT350R HR333
After 2 years and 1,700 + miles these are the results of my oil analysis. First year was after one year exactly with 1,000 miles, second one after two years and 1700+ miles total.
Sponsored

Attachments

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Need to add TAN & TBN to your findings. All those elements are great, but the properties tell you the true health of your oil and how long you can go. I’m sure you’re most likely learning changing the oil at 1,700 miles is a complete waste.

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
I’d like to know why it’s so Commonly recommended to change your oil after one year even if your miles are super low like 1700? Oil doesn’t go bad sitting on the shelf that fast, and any moisture in the system will be burned off once up to Temp.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I’d like to know why it’s so Commonly recommended to change your oil after one year even if your miles are super low like 1700? Oil doesn’t go bad sitting on the shelf that fast, and any moisture in the system will be burned off once up to Temp.
The forum answer is because the manual says so and people will fear to deviate from that. You will also hear terms like “cheap insurance”. The real answer is it doesn’t matter. I even consulted with Blackstone on this very topic because I have a truck that barley, and most likely doesn’t, see 10K miles in a year. I changed the oil in it every 15K regardless of time. Blackstone has seen no correlation nor any reason to change oil on time alone. With analysis on my truck every oil change, time has not been a variable in the slightest. I dropped my change interval to 10K miles solely out of boredom, and I’m still going a bit over a year between changes. But, you know how oil topics are. The funny thing about oil debates is guys will jump on here and call you crazy for going that long on an oil change with ZERO empirical evidence to support their claims, while I bring to the table hard, factual evidence to support 10K mike oil changes. That’s the most entertaining part yet. But, it is what it is.

Next Phase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar
The forum answer is because the manual says so and people will fear to deviate from that. You will also hear terms like “cheap insurance”. The real answer is it doesn’t matter. I even consulted with Blackstone on this very topic because I have a truck that barley, and most likely doesn’t, see 10K miles in a year. I changed the oil in it every 15K regardless of time. Blackstone has seen no correlation nor any reason to change oil on time alone. With analysis on my truck every oil change, time has not been a variable in the slightest. I dropped my change interval to 10K miles solely out of boredom, and I’m still going a bit over a year between changes. But, you know how oil topics are. The funny thing about oil debates is guys will jump on here and call you crazy for going that long on an oil change with ZERO empirical evidence to support their claims, while I bring to the table hard, factual evidence to support 10K mike oil changes. That’s the most entertaining part yet. But, it is what it is.
So, with that logic I shouldn't change my oil at 6k miles (my car is a 2016 & mostly track miles) since it doesn't have 10k miles yet?

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
So, with that logic I shouldn't change my oil at 6k miles (my car is a 2016 & mostly track miles) since it doesn't have 10k miles yet?
He said "time alone". Hard use is obviously different use case than a rarely/daily driven truck. Hes referring to the people that put maybe 500 miles on the car, change the oil, put it in storage, then change the oil after winter just to drive it another few hundred miles on weekends then change the oil and put it in storage again with maybe 1200 miles on it. Not a single one of those oil changes is needed and really waste of money based on time alone. Now if it was tracked for those spring/summer/fall miles that is different.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
And I also said my mileage interval choice is based on solid evidence in the form of an analysis. I'm not suggesting you or anyone else do anything other than base an oil change on an educated decision.

OP
OP

RickH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
GT350R HR333

Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
My car sits for a good chunk of the year during winter. I just wouldn’t feel right not changing out the oil every Spring...
Same here, except I change the oil before i put it away. The thought is used oil contains contaminants.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
My Blackstone report @ first oil change (5k) is attached.

Funny enough, my car just notified me that it is ready for oil change #2, but only an additional 3k have elapsed.

Attachments

HaleFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
My Blackstone report @ first oil change (5k) is attached.

Funny enough, my car just notified me that it is ready for oil change #2, but only an additional 3k have elapsed.
Did you reset the oil life monitor after the first change? Seems awfully quick to be recommending another already.

datadatum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT350
I thought I did...

Perhaps I just drove the snot out of it over the last 3k? I also drove about 1500 miles on E85, not sure if that accelerates the oil use algorithm.

Did you reset the oil life monitor after the first change? Seems awfully quick to be recommending another already.

SilverSerpent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 1990 Skyline GT-R, 2001 Toyota Tacoma
Ah, I just received my analysis on my first oil change a couple hours ago. This was just to get a baseline and comparison to Amsoil for next change. 2,600 miles on car. TBN was 6.9 but I think the oil only had a little over a thousand miles on it if the dealer I bought it from did indeed change it.

Side note: Has anyone ever had an interesting or bad report? lol Every one I've done for any of my cars has always kinda been the same thing. Makes me think it's a great way to make money. Run test, tell person everything looks as expected, ..., profit!
Sponsored

Attachments