Advice on Audio Upgrade Quote

JayGT3067

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2015 BMW 640 Grand Coupé x Drive
Hi, I need some advice! I’ve added the estimate from a local guy here in Germany... to upgrade the audio in my ‘17 GT Premium with 12 speaker setup. Basically, I asked for a simple upgrade to increase my the base and quality sound. $2000 seams a bit expensive. I would be curious what someone thinks about his suggestion. Here is his suggestion...

“ Because you have the 8 inch touchscreen with the shaker system the most important thing we need to do it to get a hi quality output out of the factory radio. Since the factory does not have rcas to send a signal out to the amplifiers, we need to create on. On base model systems you can do this easily with a basic line output convertor but since everything on this vehicle is integrated you need to use a digital signal processor that can interface with the factory system. There are many options out there and the best one for this vehicle id the Rockford fosgate dsr1 interface which is made by Idatalink. This module is a vehicle specific interface that gives me a high quality output and also allows us to fine tune the system way more then you ever could with the factory setup. I would like to do a 3 wat component setup in the front to replace the factory lower woofer, door mid and a pillar tweeter, I would replace the rear deck with a high quality coaxial to give you the rear fill you need for complete sound. I would sound deaden the doors and rear deck to give you better midbass response and have less chance of vibrations. I would install a 5 channel amplifier that would run the front setup, rear speakers and a single 12 inch woofer. I would run all new speaker wires to the amplifier to ensure that you would have quality sound.Because you have the 8 inch touchscreen with the shaker system the most important thing we need to do it to get a hi quality output out of the factory radio. Since the factory does not have rcas to send a signal out to the amplifiers, we need to create on. On base model systems you can do this easily with a basic line output convertor but since everything on this vehicle is integrated you need to use a digital signal processor that can interface with the factory system. There are many options out there and the best one for this vehicle id the Rockford fosgate dsr1 interface which is made by Idatalink. This module is a vehicle specific interface that gives me a high quality output and also allows us to fine tune the system way more then you ever could with the factory setup. I would like to do a 3 wat component setup in the front to replace the factory lower woofer, door mid and a pillar tweeter, I would replace the rear deck with a high quality coaxial to give you the rear fill you need for complete sound. I would sound deaden the doors and rear deck to give you better midbass response and have less chance of vibrations. I would install a 5 channel amplifier that would run the front setup, rear speakers and a single 12 inch woofer. I would run all new speaker wires to the amplifier to ensure that you would have quality sound. The parts alone for this setup before installation, parts including the 3 way components, rear coaxials, 12 inch subwoofer, digital signal processor, custom sub enclosure, rcas,power wire, fuse holder, speaker wires and sound deadner come in at $1600. That is my cost on all the parts. Labor for the entire setup would be right around $400. Install time would be 2 days for the complete job.Most shops charge $500 a day labor rate and would not do all the parts at cost. Like I said when I talked to you the other day, I do not do this to get rich, I do this because I have a passion for it. So you would be looking right at $2000”
Sponsored

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Sounds reasonable to me. There is a lot of labor that’s not being charged there. Running wires to all speakers, means removing panels, dash, etc. that alone is a pain. You did not mention brand of speakers, so hard to gauge, but the parts sound pretty good as well, 3 way components are more expensive than normal three ways. Does the sub come with its own amp, or is the new 5 channel going to power it? How will the sub be integrated into the car, rear sub enclosure box, molded, under seat, etc.? You mentioned DSP, so that may mean some level of higher quality parts. I just did a full JL audio upgrade with DSP and it sounds great. But, you need to dial in the DSP or it will not sound good. Good luck. From your description I would do it, and especially in Ktown, since I am assuming you are using a local German audio installer.

I lived in ktown for quite a while. Lived in mehlingen and worked at landstuhl.

OP
OP

JayGT3067

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
autobahnGT350, thanks for the advice! I’m not an audio enthusiast...figured he would come back with a quote in the $1100-$1400...but $2k seems a bit much for what I asked for...which was “a little improvement in base and sound quality”.

And yes...I’m in ktown...been here for over 20 years. I only owned BMWs...so I’m having fun with my first mustang!

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Check my thread in the german Mustang6 forum about the DSR1. Integration with this device is really easy and if you got. the HRN-AR-FO3 harness it’s even more simple as you don‘t need to run all new speaker wires. If you don‘t want to spend that much money ditch the rears and use a two way component up front.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
I’d skip the DSP if you’re not going to amplify all channels separately.

Sponsored

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Hmmm...there is a JL Audio subwoofer made especially for the mustangs rear compartment where the factory Shaker sub would go. I bought this and that lasted 2 years until I decided I needed more. The added bass sure helped, but it’s not DSP controlled, only with a mono amp and separate volume control: http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-stealthbox-ford-mustang-coupe-15-up

But as I stated, it worked until I wanted better fidelity. With 12 speakers, man that’s a lot of work. Maybe ask the installer for a quote for the JL Audio stealthbox and front and rear compartment shelf speakers, the ones mounted on rear deck below the back window. Maybe that would be incremental enough with somewhat of a lower price. What concerns me with the quote he gave you is that for the sub to work efficiency and properly is that you need an appropriate damped enclosure. The JL Audio stealthbox looks factory and is damped. If he can give you a sub solution that matches or integrates into the factory sub location that would be ideal. You would still need a mono amp to power the sub, so you would have to weigh the costs of his solution with alternatives. The JL Audio is about 7 or 800 alone, so might not meet your budget needs. But if all you do at first is a sub, then I would recommend the JL sub, and listen for a while to see if you could like with it. My system, although a GT350, has the crappiest sound, and the sub helped, but after two years I finally pulled the trigger to upgrade speakers and add 7 channel DSP amp. Good luck.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
The stealthbox alone is 999€ in Germany.

OP
OP

JayGT3067

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
Many Thanks to everyone for the advice! Based on everyone’s input, $2k is a reasonable price! But I will address some of the possible issues with the installation.
Sponsored