2017 GT350
It's a car, drive it!
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
That's one helluva long journey. Me personally, I'd save myself and the car the stress and have it shipped.
Totally agreed with the above suggestion.

Between all of that is being proposed for this car to be shipped for on a ~2200 mile initial trip I personally would transport this car to your home and then go from there.

If anyone is not used to the lower stance of this car which includes a front chin spoiler that can and will get marked up very easily over a long trip let alone paint chips and changing tires and rims for this long trip it would be much cheaper to have it shipped in an enclosed car trailer let alone the terrific peace of mind receiving this beautiful car in brand new showroom condition.

Good luck with your decision and suggest that you might want to consider the above option of having shipped in an enclosed car trailer.

:clap::clap:

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I recently purchased a used R in Minneapolis and had it shipped to Seattle. It was a major pain finding a quality closed carrier with lift. I didn't want to go the broker route so that limited my choices. If you've got the time I think the drive would be a blast. I drove my 2015 50 year LE from Seattle to MO and enjoyed the adventure. I find the stock tires tram line like crazy.

If you can, I'd ship wheels/tires and put a package set of LMR wheels/tires on for not only the trip but daily driving if you're inclined. I'm finding it VERY hard to not scrape the front splitter. It always happens when I'm pulling out of parking lot where I might be limited in angle and oncoming traffic makes me more rushed than I'd normally be. I think you'll be fine leaving it on. I would get some clear track tape (you can find on Amazon) and cover the front end and rear quarter panels. I did this when I drove my car from Seattle to MO and got a lot of weird looks but the paint was fully protected. It was well worth the investment.

Congratulations on the new car!!!!! Enjoy!
There are a great deal of quality enclosed car carriers out there so not sure how it became a major pain of trying to locate one.

:wink:

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Catching up on this thread. My mind sees this both ways. When we purchased ours we trailered it ourselves. From D.C. to Indiana. Had the experience of the moment & kept the car as new to enjoy back home.

dires114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT500, 2017 Focus RS, 2019 GT350R
Sorry I posted the same questions in the other thread then saw Rick's thread and just figgered I'd read all the suggestions above!

I initially wanted to have a great road trip driving it back to Sac, but several limitations are now pushing me to ship it:
- I only have 2-3 days to get back home before needing to get back to work, so not enough time to properly break in the engine by taking the B-roads and avoiding the highways the first 500-1000 miles yet still maintain pace to get back home in time (or basically drive 24/7, which would suck)
- waste of the MPSC2 tires, so ideally I would ship new wheels and MPS4S tires out and have them mounted for the trip back. These would be the ones I would use for DD anyway, but shipping them out would cost money, and shipping the carbons back home would cost money - additional cost
- diverting my return flight home to Ft. Wayne - additional cost
- with gas, food, lodging - now the cost factor is adding up and getting comparable to a reasonable enclosed carrier transport rate (quotes from reputable carriers were better than I was expecting, got quotes of $2k from Intercity and Advantage Auto)
- but the initial planned trip was supposed to be with my son, who will be traveling with me. Turns out he cannot take those additional days off, so it would just be me making the drive back home. Would have been a fantastic drive with him, even with all the negatives above, and I would have done it. But if it's just going to be me . . . there's much less real incentive. I think I'm just going to ship it, and enjoy the car when it gets here.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

Sponsored

dires114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT500, 2017 Focus RS, 2019 GT350R
I definitely get Rick's POV though, and if you can pull off this kind of trip the right way, I'd totally go for it.

Have a great time Rick!

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Sorry I posted the same questions in the other thread then saw Rick's thread and just figgered I'd read all the suggestions above!

I initially wanted to have a great road trip driving it back to Sac, but several limitations are now pushing me to ship it:
- I only have 2-3 days to get back home before needing to get back to work, so not enough time to properly break in the engine by taking the B-roads and avoiding the highways the first 500-1000 miles yet still maintain pace to get back home in time (or basically drive 24/7, which would suck)
- waste of the MPSC2 tires, so ideally I would ship new wheels and MPS4S tires out and have them mounted for the trip back. These would be the ones I would use for DD anyway, but shipping them out would cost money, and shipping the carbons back home would cost money - additional cost
- diverting my return flight home to Ft. Wayne - additional cost
- with gas, food, lodging - now the cost factor is adding up and getting comparable to a reasonable enclosed carrier transport rate (quotes from reputable carriers were better than I was expecting, got quotes of $2k from Intercity and Advantage Auto)
- but the initial planned trip was supposed to be with my son, who will be traveling with me. Turns out he cannot take those additional days off, so it would just be me making the drive back home. Would have been a fantastic drive with him, even with all the negatives above, and I would have done it. But if it's just going to be me . . . there's much less real incentive. I think I'm just going to ship it, and enjoy the car when it gets here.

Thanks for all the advice guys!
Yes there's a romanticizing factor to head out on the open road with your new car but you'll get it home in one piece and take it from there.

OP
OP
rick shea

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR039, Oxford White, Kona matt stripe
good question. I spoke to the dealer about this and they recommended to do an oil change at 3K miles which more than puts me back in Seattle. So I planned on doing it back in Seattle.
Yes there's a romanticizing factor to head out on the open road with your new car but you'll get it home in one piece and take it from there.

All good thoughts and suggestions. I pick the car up in Decatur Indiana on the 28th to start the drive. I had the Cup 2 tires swapped for Pilot Sport 4S The Cup 2's will be shipped back to Seattle for use on DE days, also have temporary track tape applied to the front end and rocker panels. I Bought a Cayman R in Memphis a couple of years back and did a similar trip. It was really good to get to know the car on a trip like this. Looking forward to it. Bugs, rock chips and all.

Dan206

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘19 GT350, ‘16 Corvette Z51, ‘62 VW, ‘20 Raptor
If you can, plan your route home via Route 66. We picked up our new Corvette at Bowling Green and drove it to Seattle in 2016. But, get Xpel on the nose as there are lots of trucks on 40. View attachment 365136
Sponsored