Status
Not open for further replies.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
Other than point blank ranges the spread from the Judge doesn't look very promising compared to an actual shotgun(duh). Not saying it wouldn't ruin someones day but so would a .22 minus the recoil/noise and pellet spread. If I were using a Judge for home defense I'd load it with .45 Colt.
I've never personally shot one but it sounds a whole heap better than an AR15 for home defense. I'm a big fan of the carbine but don't keep one next to the bed. .45 colt besides being an old round an not available in many defense configs would put the hurt on someone too. I personally use a 9mm because that's what I'm most comfortable with, Either a glock 19 or M&P 9 but if I had a wheelgun, I know how to put it to good use.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I've never personally shot one but it sounds a whole heap better than an AR15 for home defense. I'm a big fan of the carbine but don't keep one next to the bed. .45 colt besides being an old round an not available in many defense configs would put the hurt on someone too.

Oh I definitely agree and I hope to get a suppressor soon mainly so I can shoot on my family's property out in central VA(edit: I can shoot there now but I'd like to be nicer to the neighbors). My opinions on the Judge stem from Paul Harrell's testing and obviously it would stop an aggressor far more quickly than a cell phone(unless you're a major league pitcher lol). I think most would agree the most important thing to consider for home defense is not the chosen caliber but rather the training you have with that particular weapon. I'll be the first to admit I don't have enough and hope to remedy that soon, first with combat/carry handgun use then more carbine training(which up to now was just me having fun at a loose range). My bedside weapon is my Sig 229 9mm with crimson trace laser grips loaded with either 147 HST or 127 Ranger SXT.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
I have a nice long barrel stainless Judge, one of first buyers. It is a great snake gun.

If I ever use it for protection I will aim for the face to blind agressor if over 10 meters.
Not a high penertration through heavy clothing, definitely not 12 gauge.

POST #8 I also not sure how a stamped firearm would affect you legally in your home, South Carolina gives you the right to defend your home, never had a stamp but do they come with some sort of wavier not to use will protecting life?

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2019 Roushcharged F150, 2016 GT350R, 2013 Boss 302LS, 2009 GT/CS, 2000 Cobra R, 1995 Cobra R
Vehicle Showcase
Oh I definitely agree and I hope to get a suppressor soon mainly so I can shoot on my family's property out in central VA(edit: I can shoot there now but I'd like to be nicer to the neighbors). My opinions on the Judge stem from Paul Harrell's testing and obviously it would stop an aggressor far more quickly than a cell phone(unless you're a major league pitcher lol). I think most would agree the most important thing to consider for home defense is not the chosen caliber but rather the training you have with that particular weapon. I'll be the first to admit I don't have enough and hope to remedy that soon, first with combat/carry handgun use then more carbine training(which up to now was just me having fun at a loose range). My bedside weapon is my Sig 229 9mm with crimson trace laser grips loaded with either 147 HST or 127 Ranger SXT.
Shooting with suppressors is fun, I put together a 300 blk just to have fun with. Training is definately the best tool you can have, I have definately been blessed with having good friends that are into fireams /training. We have brought in some of the biggest names in the training world for private classes. Can't go wrong with a SIG, put many rounds downrange with them before I switched over to Glocks.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Care to elaborate?
The use of an NFA item in an illegal act carries with it federal sentences. Hopefully they view any shooting within your home as a self defense situation, but if they shouldn't you've just massively increased any possible jail time for nothing more than a reduction in volume of your firearm. At the end of the day it's your call. But to me the volume reduction isn't worth the potential issues. I'm far from the only one you'll hear suggesting not to use NFA items like SBR's, suppressors, or full auto firearms as part of your primary home defense strategy.

Now I do feel that a shorter weapon chambered in .223 is a solid home defense solution, but I would be leaning heavily towards a .223 based pistol with a brace over an SBR'ed rifle.

Sponsored

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
POST #8 I also not sure how a stamped firearm would affect you legally in your home, South Carolina gives you the right to defend your home, never had a stamp but do they come with some sort of wavier not to use will protecting life?
Where are you from, Interceptor? I live in Daniel Island, used to live in Mount P.

JR

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Shooting with suppressors is fun, I put together a 300 blk just to have fun with. Training is definately the best tool you can have, I have definately been blessed with having good friends that are into fireams /training. We have brought in some of the biggest names in the training world for private classes. Can't go wrong with a SIG, put many rounds downrange with them before I switched over to Glocks.
Sometimes I think about building an integrally suppressed 300blk bolt gun just to see how quiet it could be. I think building one in .308 instead and just using subsonic handloads would be the more practical choice as it gives the option of using full power rounds if I needed more range. Make the integrated suppressor bring the overall barrel length to 16" and it would be a one tax only gun too.

The use of an NFA item in an illegal act carries with it federal sentences. Hopefully they view any shooting within your home as a self defense situation, but if they shouldn't you've just massively increased any possible jail time for nothing more than a reduction in volume of your firearm. At the end of the day it's your call. But to me the volume reduction isn't worth the potential issues. I'm far from the only one you'll hear suggesting not to use NFA items like SBR's, suppressors, or full auto firearms as part of your primary home defense strategy.

Now I do feel that a shorter weapon chambered in .223 is a solid home defense solution, but I would be leaning heavily towards a .223 based pistol with a brace over an SBR'ed rifle.
It's no surprise committing an illegal act could lead to jail time so I wouldn't let that dissuade me from using a suppressor for a home defense firearm. The fear of jail time is vastly overshadowed by the need to take care of the attack at hand and I will use the most effective tool available to me.

I definitely agree that an AR-pistol is a more logical choice over an SBR as some of these pistol braces have come a long way from the original Sig brace such as the SB-Tactical options.

(just as a stupid nit-picky thing but saying SBR'ed rifle is redundant like saying PIN number.)

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
It's no surprise committing an illegal act could lead to jail time so I wouldn't let that dissuade me from using a suppressor for a home defense firearm. The fear of jail time is vastly overshadowed by the need to take care of the attack at hand and I will use the most effective tool available to me.

I definitely agree that an AR-pistol is a more logical choice over an SBR as some of these pistol braces have come a long way from the original Sig brace such as the SB-Tactical options.

(just as a stupid nit-picky thing but saying SBR'ed rifle is redundant like saying PIN number.)
Obviously noone is intending to commit a crime in the act of home defense. Just making sure everyone is aware of the potential legal ramifications if you get caught up by some ultra liberal prosecutor. For me personally it's handgun and then semi-auto 12 gauge as my internal home defense options. That reminds me though that I need to shorten the barrel of my 12 gauge and then tap and pin the muzzle device onto it.

Docscurlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sometimes I think about building an integrally suppressed 300blk bolt gun just to see how quiet it could be. I think building one in .308 instead and just using subsonic handloads would be the more practical choice as it gives the option of using full power rounds if I needed more range. Make the integrated suppressor bring the overall barrel length to 16" and it would be a one tax only gun too.
I picked up a single action handi rifle to play with in 300 BLK, never could get the accuracy I wanted out of it. It was very quiet though. you could hear the hammer drop and the thud on the target and thats it. Scrapped that idea and put my energy into a Remington 700 and use corbon subsonics, very cool. You can hear the firing pin hit the primer and hear the target hit perfectly.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Obviously noone is intending to commit a crime in the act of home defense. Just making sure everyone is aware of the potential legal ramifications if you get caught up by some ultra liberal prosecutor. For me personally it's handgun and then semi-auto 12 gauge as my internal home defense options. That reminds me though that I need to shorten the barrel of my 12 gauge and then tap and pin the muzzle device onto it.

I see what you're getting at and agree, I just don't let it worry me a whole lot.

I've recently watched a few videos on Remington's V3 TAC-13 semi auto 12 gauge 'firearm' that looks very interesting especially for home defense. 4+1 or 5+1 semi auto in a very short form factor and loaded with dedicated home defense ammo sounds about perfect assuming your wrists can handle it lol.

I picked up a single action handi rifle to play with in 300 BLK, never could get the accuracy I wanted out of it. It was very quiet though. you could hear the hammer drop and the thud on the target and thats it. Scrapped that idea and put my energy into a Remington 700 and use corbon subsonics, very cool. You can hear the firing pin hit the primer and hear the target hit perfectly.
I hadn't decided on an action yet, would have probably chosen a Tika or Sako since I've seen a bunch for fairly cheap with decent reviews. I could go super cheap and get a TC Compass haha. Another option would be a lever-action in .44 magnum and slap a suppressor and red dot on that baby. Seeing how much money I've spent recently on my PWS MK111 pistol and my hilariously stupid custom Polymer 80 build I need to sell some stuff before starting a new project.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Interceptor

Interceptor

Daily Driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 California Special A10
Thanks for cleaning that up, so basically you use at your own risk, and how LEO feels that day when something happens. Makes sense to be to leave alone. Not worth the money for stamp or possible money for lawyer.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
The use of an NFA item in an illegal act carries with it federal sentences...
I was assuming that he has a Federal License for the suppressor. It's easy to get in GA. Adventure Outdoors has suppressors on sale sometimes (with the FFL paperwork)..

I still support the 9mm SBR. It's very effective and you can share the inexpensive ammo that also works well in your carry pistol.
Shield.JPG

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I see what you're getting at and agree, I just don't let it worry me a whole lot.

I've recently watched a few videos on Remington's V3 TAC-13 semi auto 12 gauge 'firearm' that looks very interesting especially for home defense. 4+1 or 5+1 semi auto in a very short form factor and loaded with dedicated home defense ammo sounds about perfect assuming your wrists can handle it lol.

I've got an AK pattern 12 gauge. Barrel is too long, but otherwise runs like a champ with 000 Buckshot or slugs. Goal is to cut down the barrel and then weld on the compensator to permanently make it part of the calculated barrel length.

40368616662_e258e1d584_h.jpg
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.