Liquid Moly Ceratec

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Ford recommends 5W50 use in our coyotes for racing, its in the manual actually.
The only place I can find a reference to 5W-50 in the 2019 v2 manual is for track use for the 2.3 EcoBoost. That manual specifies 5W-30 for track events for the 5.0. Since your engine is probably nowhere near stock the Ford recommendation would not be correct anyhow but have you found a manual newer than v2?
Sponsored

liv2roc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt/cs ,2004 Mustang Mach1, 1984 mustang gt 350
I'm on my 2nd engine with 10k miles on this one tick started with the 2nd oil change on this engine,I put one bottle of ceratec in and it stopped ticking right away with 600 miles on it so far no tick. but it did call for more than one bottle I only put one in. says one bottle treats 6 qts.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS, Mustang GT, MME GTPE
To be devil's advocate: If this stuff was so great or beneficial or wonderful, why wouldn't Ford (or other Mfr.) put it in the car at the factory?

liv2roc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
To be devil's advocate: If this stuff was so great or beneficial or wonderful, why wouldn't Ford (or other Mfr.) put it in the car at the factory?
You think Ford wants there cars to last longer? they just want them to make it til warranty runs out. I make Bearings for a living and we have a costumer that builds 18 wheeler trailers there bearings were lasting over a million miles so they made us redesign them and take some rollers out so they would fail sooner.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
They reduced the roller count in automotive bearings about 10 years ago to reduce drag and improve fuel economy.

I would also point out that the ford oil specs are more stringent than api.

Sponsored

OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
The only place I can find a reference to 5W-50 in the 2019 v2 manual is for track use for the 2.3 EcoBoost. That manual specifies 5W-30 for track events for the 5.0. Since your engine is probably nowhere near stock the Ford recommendation would not be correct anyhow but have you found a manual newer than v2?
I have an '18. Its in my manual. Dunno if a '19's manual wording was changed since I don't have it to reference. I'd have to open mine again to tell you the exact page, I don't remember it, but I do remember the wording well. When I get time, I'll give it a look to try and find the exact page, but it was a reference that included changing oil to 5W50 for track days, then draining and replacing with 5W20 afterwards for daily street usage. Most drag racers in the know use either 5W40 or 5W50 (which Roush and Whipple do suggest, but well after it was made common by plain ole mechanics in the know) even in n/a cars. I use full syn. Rotella T6 because its also a Euro spec diesel grade which has additives that extends its life and is helpful in also dealing with the extra acidity that comes from using ethanol as a primary fuel (E85) as well as diesel fuel. I believe the extra additives are Sulphur which helps negate the extra acidity.

OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Because they are cheap asf. Why do are cars barely have any paint on them? Why do we still have cheap a$$ prop rods that are a nuisance? Why are our interiors covered in cheap a$$ hard plastics yet they sell a "premium PP car convertible for 55k?" Because the bean counters make sure to let the management know that many dimes can be saved in lots of places, and those dimes add up to millions of dollars a year on average.

OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
I'm on my 2nd engine with 10k miles on this one tick started with the 2nd oil change on this engine,I put one bottle of ceratec in and it stopped ticking right away with 600 miles on it so far no tick. but it did call for more than one bottle I only put one in. says one bottle treats 6 qts.
That's why I use a 1.5 bottles. This is the second engine I've done this to from brand new. I do 3 back to back treatments, then I'll go 3 oil changes with no Ceratec. So far, no issues ever with any of my many different Ford engines (Roller 5.0 L, 2V, 4V, 1.6 L, 2.0 L, and my 3rd gen Coyote). I also put a couple ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil in my fuel per fill-up to keep pump and injectors cleaner. I've never had a problem with any Ford engine over 30 years now.

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
You think Ford wants there cars to last longer? they just want them to make it til warranty runs out. I make Bearings for a living and we have a costumer that builds 18 wheeler trailers there bearings were lasting over a million miles so they made us redesign them and take some rollers out so they would fail sooner.
In a way, yes I do. Long lasting motors burnish the reputation of the brand. But I don't know what goes on in the Ford boardroom and what the engineers discuss.

Sponsored

Biggus Dickus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
Because they are cheap asf. Why do are cars barely have any paint on them? Why do we still have cheap a$$ prop rods that are a nuisance? Why are our interiors covered in cheap a$$ hard plastics yet they sell a "premium PP car convertible for 55k?" Because the bean counters make sure to let the management know that many dimes can be saved in lots of places, and those dimes add up to millions of dollars a year on average.
Because they have a DI/PI 460 hp VVT DOHC V8 with suspension goodies. The money with cars like V8 Mustangs, V8 Camaros, Corvettes goes toward power and handling so we enjoy performance levels comparable to Eurocars costing $30-60K more and even more than that. Really - the Mustang GT is a performance bargain. I can live with the interior.

My whole front end and other parts are covered in clear bra so the paint issue isn't an issue for me. That said - the Nitrous Blue on my RS is probably the best paint I've ever had on any car.

The much maligned prop-rod is simple and lightweight. That's not a bad thing.

But all that being said, If (magic sauce) improved longevity and performance economically, I would think ALL mfrs would do this;

OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Because they have a DI/PI 460 hp VVT DOHC V8 with suspension goodies. The money with cars like V8 Mustangs, V8 Camaros, Corvettes goes toward power and handling so we enjoy performance levels comparable to Eurocars costing $30-60K more and even more than that. Really - the Mustang GT is a performance bargain. I can live with the interior.

My whole front end and other parts are covered in clear bra so the paint issue isn't an issue for me. That said - the Nitrous Blue on my RS is probably the best paint I've ever had on any car.

The much maligned prop-rod is simple and lightweight. That's not a bad thing.

But all that being said, If (magic sauce) improved longevity and performance economically, I would think ALL mfrs would do this;
I've had the nose, and a strip that goes to the bottom of the vents on the hood covered in clear bra since roughly 1k miles. Also the mirror facing as well as the face of the a pillar post I had a friend who owns his own performance detailing give me a deal too good to pass up last year. And its ceramic coated, by myself. With that said, its also not a daily, and it sits with a covercraft 3 layer cover over it unless I drive it. It hasn't been wet since last July (last time I washed it). l stand by my comments on all the ways Ford cheaps out on our cars though. I actually coulda went on and on but figured I'd use the most common examples of cheapness on our cars which all cost us more than they should. I won't even begin to comment on European cars and how they are built, they are in a much superior league on almost all things, especially quality of interiors and fit and finish on body panels, yet alone paintwork. You do get whatcha pay for...LOL. I paid for a base Mustang because I wanted to shit stomp most of those Eurotrash machines that people also overpay for. :)

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
...If (magic sauce) improved longevity and performance economically, I would think ALL mfrs would do this;
Considering the retail price of (insert your favorite brand of magic juice here) it probably costs no more than $1 to make so I agree: if it improved mileage 0.1 mpg all the manufacturers would be adding it.

OP
OP

1MEAN18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT
Considering the retail price of (insert your favorite brand of magic juice here) it probably costs no more than $1 to make so I agree: if it improved mileage 0.1 mpg all the manufacturers would be adding it.
Its made in Germany, and comes in an aluminum bottle, so me thinks it costs more than a buck to make. Yet alone ship to the land of the free and the home of the brave. Maybe $5 tops in overhead...yeah, I agree, it still has a nice profit margin though. But it works. So its a case of getting whatcha paid for...and I don't mean paltry better gas mileage, if I were after that I'd have bought a Prius and possibly hugged a tree afterwards. LOL. :)

liv2roc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
the Roush mustangs run 5w-50 I'm guessing because of the supercharger. so what would it hurt to run it in the non supercharged gt?
Sponsored