OP
zzrat

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Hey that worked out fairly well for everyone! Congrats to new owners.
Sponsored

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
That is awesome! Great buy on two sweet cars. I should’ve looked sooner to actually scoop up on this deal.

OP
OP
zzrat

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Rick Shea, If you do decide to drive your new R home, which would be an incredible trip, would highly advise that the dealer removes the front splitter & put it in the rear seat or ship it back. Most likely it would be pretty banged up after a trip like that. Good luck & congrats!

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R KR039, Oxford White, Kona matt stripe
Rick Shea, If you do decide to drive your new R home, which would be an incredible trip, would highly advise that the dealer removes the front splitter & put it in the rear seat or ship it back. Most likely it would be pretty banged up after a trip like that. Good luck & congrats!

Good suggestion. Any other things to consider? I also thought it would be good to swap out the Cup 2 tires as they are not ideal for that kind of trip and have them shipped back to Seattle for track use. Any suggestions on a good replacement tire for GT350R 11" and 11.5" wheels?

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
Good suggestion. Any other things to consider? I also thought it would be good to swap out the Cup 2 tires as they are not ideal for that kind of trip and have them shipped back to Seattle for track use. Any suggestions on a good replacement tire for GT350R 11" and 11.5" wheels?
I'd be very cautious about selecting someone to dismount and re-mount tires on the R's carbon fiber wheels. You're just asking for them to get damaged, unless the place has the right kind of "touchless" tire-changing machine. I think you'd be better off having new wheels & tires shipped to the dealership in Decatur from The Tire Rack in South Bend, which is only a couple hours away, and having the dealer CAREFULLY pack and ship the R wheels & tires to you separately.

For the cross-country trip, buy a roll of TrakkTape to prevent paint & stripe damage along the way. It is easy to apply and is easily removed as well. I use it on track days on my hood, roof, front bumper, and rear impact areas. It is now available on Amazon.

Sponsored

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
I'd be very cautious about selecting someone to dismount and re-mount tires on the R's carbon fiber wheels. You're just asking for them to get damaged, unless the place has the right kind of "touchless" tire-changing machine. I think you'd be better off having new wheels & tires shipped to the dealership in Decatur from The Tire Rack in South Bend, which is only a couple hours away, and having the dealer CAREFULLY pack and ship the R wheels & tires to you separately.

For the cross-country trip, buy a roll of TrakkTape to prevent paint & stripe damage along the way. It is easy to apply and is easily removed as well. I use it on track days on my hood, roof, front bumper, and rear impact areas. It is now available on Amazon.

Good thought but by the time I do that the cost would compare to shipping cost by Reliable Car Transport. I was trying to find a good set of tires that fit the R wheels and have the dealer mount them and my shop here can swap them out for track days. The only direct fit that comes up from Tire rack is the Cup 2's. Since I am new to the GT350R world (was a Porsche guy) I don't know which size alternative Michelin works well with the R carbon 11 and 11.5 inch wheels. One person suggested Continent Xtreme sport in 305-30 AND 325-30 and another thought the Michelin pilot sport 4s in the same size might work?
Any thought on this?

OP
OP
zzrat

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Rick, I’m on the road hauling grain today. Will PM you later when getting home with some thoughts. Rex

rick shea

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
Rick, I’m on the road hauling grain today. Will PM you later when getting home with some thoughts. Rex
Thank you appreciate your help and thoughts.

dires114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT500, 2017 Focus RS, 2019 GT350R
Great advice, didn't consider that until now.

I too am thinking about driving mine home to Sacramento. Would make an awesome road trip across the heart of America. And I actually have a business trip to TN scheduled in a few weeks that I can divert to Ft. Wayne to in order to pick up the car.

However, I only have 3 days to get back home. I am concerned about:
- proper engine break-in over just 3 days (and 2200 miles)
- proper tires (clearly these are NOT the ideal tire for this kind of road trip)

Anyone have any advice for either? Would 500 miles of variable gear / variable RPM driving (city, B-road driving) be adequate before hitting the highways? or do I need longer?

Is it worth having the dealer mount a whole new wheel/tire set for the trip home, rather than wasting the MPSC2s? Was considering a good set of aftermarket wheels and MP Sport 4S, which I was planning to use for DD anyway (and saving the carbons and MPSC2s for track duty only). If so, does anyone know if the carbon wheels/tires will all fit as a set into the rear seat delete volume and/or trunk for the drive home?

Thanks in advance for your help

Sponsored

dires114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@dires114 and @rick shea , pros and cons all around, but i say ship the cars, save the headaches and hassles with wheels/tires and mileage and rock chips and splitters and anything else that could happen on 2k+miles, and enjoy the delivery :sunglasses: Here was mine...

Thanks, I’ve been seriously considering shipping. I’ve watched your video a few times months ago and now look what you’ve done you made me buy one!!

What shipper did you use? And would you recommend again? Dealer’s recommended shipper is charging $1.30/mi which comes out to $2800, which is what’s keeping me from doing it outright.

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
Thanks, I’ve been seriously considering shipping. I’ve watched your video a few times months ago and now look what you’ve done you made me buy one!!

What shipper did you use? And would you recommend again? Dealer’s recommended shipper is charging $1.30/mi which comes out to $2800, which is what’s keeping me from doing it outright.
That is crazy high, so I have to assume that the shipper is only shipping your car?

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
that is absurdly high. use this site: https://www.transportreviews.com/quotes

read reviews, do NOT use any broker that asks for an upfront deposit, and read reviews. and most of all, read reviews.

ps: price depends on many factors but especially mileage and whether you will use open or closed carrier. mine, from TX to CA, via enclosed carrier, was $1350 in nov 2018. open carrier was like $700 or so. but i went enclosed.

dires114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don’t know any of the details for this shipper, if he takes other cars or just mine, I stopped asking questions. Once I heard the price I shrieked like a girl and hid in the closet.
Sponsored