Sponsored

Some New GT500 Videos, Including Track Footage

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I see dry weight for the 10r80 at 230 and the Tr-9007 is 198. the 10R takes 13qts to fill anyone know the fluid capacity of the 9007?
Sponsored

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost
I see dry weight for the 10r80 at 230 and the Tr-9007 is 198. the 10R takes 13qts to fill anyone know the fluid capacity of the 9007?
In the link above i shared, it is stated that the 9070 is 229 dry, though I am not sure which will be used. Sounds like it is pretty much even when it comes to weight.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Carl Widmann said:
...why not use the regular Mustang's 10-speed automatic? Widmann said that the dual-clutch can handle more torque than the auto, and the shift times are quicker. Ford Performance wants the GT500 to be fast on a drag strip and on a road course, and a dual-clutch was the best transmission for the job.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sh...ord-mustang-shelby-gt500-dct-manual-possible/

Widman has made similar comments elsewhere. Still waiting to see GM's official 10L80/10L90 torque capacity figures...

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Its all about the strength of the clutches, and then the gearsets and shafts of the dct. Exactly like the manuals, the only different is that more of the shock is transferred on the shifts Vs manuals. ive broken teeth off of my E92 m3s DCT after i installed the Dodson clutches to handle more power.

SO, history shows, all will be fine for a while, until the clutches slip, they will go before the internals, and then, with stronger clutches, it will move the failue point down the road to gears. I believe/hope the gears are already strong, knowing this dct will be in the mustang and corvette, tremec would be foolish to not account for more HP.

Ace21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP1
DCTs are usually pretty "fragile" when compared to standard autos, and don't do well with really high TQ numbers.
One car, the GTR, nothing "fragile" about that GR6 trans! Granted it will need upgraded clutches after adding a few 100+ lbft of torque and launching on a normal basis. Your statement is not entirely false per-say because there are some examples of very terrible production DCTs out there from the not so distant past, but the way you stated it as fact for ALL DCTs, is what makes it false. Also, the major component that would limit a DCTs tq handling ability would be the clutches, and in most cases that is a relatively easy fix.

I'm not a huge follower of the BMW, so I can only speculate on the subject, as you are. However, I would guess that BMWs move away from DCTs is probably based on a few things like:
1. Cost per unit, much cheaper to have autos in many cars than to have some with autos and some with DCTs.
2. Maintenance cost, newer autos use "bandless" designs which wont generate as much heat and metal particulate over time. All that adds up to a trans that will not typically need to be serviced over the "lifetime" of the trans, where DCTs on the other hand will need servicing every couple of oil change intervals and the fluids are usually proprietary (this is changing though).
3. Refinement, Autos and DCTs both get this right most of the time, however, it is much easier to program an adaptive tq-converter auto to be smooth at low speeds than an "engaged" DCT as there is a fine line that the DCT has to maintain between engagement jerkiness and clutch slippage, all to control heat build up in the system.

As for the New GT500 7-speed, I can only imagine that the rated torque on that unit is because of the engineered reliability vs strain calculations that are based on materials used and sizes, and clutch pack size/amount (how many friction plates etc.). I personally foresee someone finding the clutches' limit and replacing them with more or better friction materials, at which point the trans will have no issue reaching numbers higher than the motor can reliably produce in stock form.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
The worst thing would be for Ford to release a high performance destroyer to an enthusiast market known for modding.

Ford knows this.

We aren’t getting a DCT that can just barely cope with the stock power numbers.

I don’t know of course, but I can see a DCT capable of supporting the torque corresponding to a 1,000 hp DOHC car.

If Bugatti had it going on so long ago (2005) on their car for $100,000 and able to support the power, then Ford can certainly have it in their 70k car 15 years later in 2020.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
The worst thing would be for Ford to release a high performance destroyer to an enthusiast market known for modding.

Ford knows this.

We aren’t getting a DCT that can just barely cope with the stock power numbers.

I don’t know of course, but I can see a DCT capable of supporting the torque corresponding to a 1,000 hp DOHC car.

If Bugatti had it going on so long ago (2005) on their car for $100,000 and able to support the power, then Ford can certainly have it in their 70k car 15 years later in 2020.
this ^
And im a betting man, with my money on Ford and Tremec knowing what a capable DCT in an American performance car will do for each of them

Redzone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z06/FGT
Are you referring to a Veyron? If so, add another 1.6M to the price.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Are you referring to a Veyron? If so, add another 1.6M to the price.

Are you referring to an exotic, custom, hardly any built entire car? Or just the transmission, which was crazy expensive and exotic then and seen all over now...

We aren’t comparing the 500 to the veyron. Simply recognizing that the DCT in the 500 can easily and much much much more affordably handle more than the stock car can throw at it.

DCT reliability in the beastly GT500 is not an issue.

Let’s move on from that non-debate.

If another car has DCT upgrades to cope with aftermarket power, the same is better done at the factory.

The DCT in the 500 is a game changer in s very positive way.

I for one am excited to see magazine drivers with an ad to grind no longer have the option of shifting horribly.

Beyond that, I want to focus on driving over selecting a gear. If it means pulling a paddle right where my hand is already, I’m all for it.

I like rowing my own as well, but when it comes to pure performance, we are getting the best in this car. Enjoy it.

eighty6gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
auto engineer friends of mine speak very favorably of this box, and also the people who have been allowed to tune it.

I can't wait to try one out :)

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
auto engineer friends of mine speak very favorably of this box, and also the people who have been allowed to tune it.

I can't wait to try one out :)
Yep, tune will be a huge deal. Especially on the road course.

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
Yep, tune will be a huge deal. Especially on the road course.
So I actually spoke with a vehicle dynamics engineer driving the camo mule we’ve all seen. He developed adaptive stability and traction control on the GT for LeMan and said they brought a lot of that to the 500. He specifically said the DCT allowed them more performance options on the road course. Actually even brought up a specific segment at one of the local tracks he thought I might know and how the DCT shifting and control allows the car to be much faster on challenging tracks. He said he’s a true manual enthusiast but was very impressed with the new DCT.
Right from the horses mouth was good enough for me.
-J

eighty6gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Bullitt
So I actually spoke with a vehicle dynamics engineer driving the camo mule we’ve all seen. He developed adaptive stability and traction control on the GT for LeMan and said they brought a lot of that to the 500. He specifically said the DCT allowed them more performance options on the road course. Actually even brought up a specific segment at one of the local tracks he thought I might know and how the DCT shifting and control allows the car to be much faster on challenging tracks. He said he’s a true manual enthusiast but was very impressed with the new DCT.
Right from the horses mouth was good enough for me.
-J
Well, I meant tremec set it up... heh. Rather than Ford.
Sponsored