Honey Badger's Completely Off-the-Rails Race Car Build and Track Adventure Thread

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
In person? Is T coming to TX for a business trip? oh the shenanigans...
Most definitely brother. Want to try and setup a meet or dinner with all the Texas guys soon. Business trip and some fun

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
And now we should be good :)

20190514_220614.jpg

Just have to wait for the pressure plate bolts to come in on Thursday and we should be back together just in time for COTA. Looks like tomorrow I'll have to finish buttoning up the rest of the car (alignment, tire change, oil change, etc.)
Following up on the above. Yesterday @Epiphany and I were talking, and as usual, I started to question my reality while talking to the Professor. To recap:

I ordered the MMR Coyote Billet Rear Cover, Trigger wheel & sensor kit to replace my rear main seal, sensor kit, trigger wheel, and get a resuable housing (uses o-ring vs. gasket sealer to seal against the block). The MMR kit comes with an OEM Coyote crank sensor and MMR's own rear main seal (beefier than OEM). You might be able to tell where I'm going with this...

So Epiphany and I started talking about why the Coyote and Voodoo have not only difference crank sensors, but different rear main seals. And as you can probably guess, the coyote goes in normally(flat side out) - only the Voodoo rear main seal goes in reverse (void facing out like above). So I contacted FP and was told the following directly from one of the Engine Engineers who worked on the Voodoo:

There are two different crank seals and crank sensors.

Seals: Voodoo uses a seal that is supposed to be better for higher engine speeds, but I’ve used the 5.0L seal without a problem. I would follow the shop manual for either seal installation.

Sensor: Voodoo uses a crank sensor that fits tighter in the rear seal retainer because of the vibration issues with the flat-plane crank. The 5.0L crank sensor he has should be fine.

So, I took it apart again and swapped the seal back around to the standard orientation. If I have to touch a rear main seal again, I'm going to lose it...

20190515_184541.jpg
20190515_184149.jpg

On a side note, this MMR kit is very nice. Highly recommend.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Did MMR supply the seal with that kit?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
You are truly insane. I like it.
Gotta keep myself busy, right? :)

Right down to the wire. Nicely done, even though that is never the plan. That's racing.
I REALLY hope it stops being the normal. Haven't had a stress free track day since COTA last summer. I think we're close, tho.

Most definitely brother. Want to try and setup a meet or dinner with all the Texas guys soon. Business trip and some fun
We gotta have a party at the Badger den, bro! Gotta' go swimming with Nigel!

Pidge.jpg

bauern

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
F150 Powerboost
I'm sorry but I have to ask, otherwise I'd feel bad. Why reverse the seal? I wouldn't interpret the engineer's email the way I think you are.

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I'm sorry but I have to ask, otherwise I'd feel bad. Why reverse the seal? I wouldn't interpret the engineer's email the way I think you are.
The seal I have isn't an OEM seal. It's from MMR. I'm following their instruction on which direction.

If using an oem seal, recommend following the engineer's guidance of following the service manual

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350

sumfoo1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2018 Gt350, 57-tbird, 61 Galaxie, 2014 Wrangler unlimited rubicon, and a 1999 F150
This build is amazing.

You can by all means tell me to go away. But starting with the same car... Ruby red metallic and all... what suspension mods made the biggest difference?

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Your dog is awesome. (I guess it's "dogs are"; you have two now right?)

We have (3) now. 1 5 year old rescue that we think is half golden half shepherd, and then two German Shepherds. The Shepherds are 3 years old (Nigel above) and just about 16 weeks old (Nala below). I don't have any recent high res pics of the pup since I've barely left the office/garage the last couple weeks. However, she's turning out to be a great shop dog :D

20190513_135749.jpg

OP
OP
honeybadger

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Car is back together and ready for COTA this weekend. Rear main seal replaced, new crank sensor (misfire appears to be gone), fresh oil change, upgraded brake ducting, and a few other small tweaks.

For tires, we have 56 gallons of E85, a brand new set of 315 Hoosiers, 315 Cup2s, and lightly used set of 315 Pirelli Wets. We're ready for battle and should be a hell of a weekend. Hell yeah
IMG_20190517_120234.jpg