Remote clutch fluid reservoir

Jeffy_2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt 6-speed/ performance pack Oxford white
Hey guys, I seen this was a topic some people were asking about, myself included so I figured I would post up. On the s197 tons of companies made solutions to separate the clutch fluid from your brake fluid, well for some reason that hasn't hit the s550 market. Here is how I did mine and what parts I used.
Wilwood 7oz fluid reservoir, P/N: 26011098
1/4" vacuum cap

I mounted the resivoir to the back side of my CAI box with some 1/4" bolts and nylock nuts, ran the supplied line from the wilwood kit to the nipple on the firewall, and capped off the nipple on the brake resivoir with the 1/4" cap.
20190331_120524.jpg
20190331_120532.jpg
20190331_120539.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeffy_2010

Jeffy_2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Care to elaborate on the process a bit more?

This isn't something I'd do until out of warranty but absolutely a great idea IMO.
One you look under the hood it's fairly self explanatory, I was worried about it myself till I looked at it. The picture I posted with the vaccum cap, there is normally a black plastic line there, you can trace that back to the firewall, the plastic line is maybe 4" in length. You just pull that line off from both ends, cap the one and attach the new supplied line from the wilwood kit to the nipple on the firewall. It's just above where your main clutch line is that goes down to your transmission.

OP
OP
Jeffy_2010

Jeffy_2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)
Update to this, the vaccum cap that I used decided to fail at autox yesterday. Lost all of my brake fluid. I will now he ordering the automatic with performance pack master cylinder to totally get away from this issue happening again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeffy_2010

Jeffy_2010

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Vehicle(s)

Brad2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT PP
Update to this, the vaccum cap that I used decided to fail at autox yesterday. Lost all of my brake fluid. I will now he ordering the automatic with performance pack master cylinder to totally get away from this issue happening again.
Did you replace master cylinder with auto version? Can you just replace the reservoir or do you have to replace the entire master cylinder? Was it difficult to bleed?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Did you replace master cylinder with auto version?
It's the same. Ford just cuts off the tip, and fuses the plastic. Even my 2018 F-150 Platinum had that clutch nipple fused, so cheap Ford apparently uses the same damn brake fluid reservoir on all vehicles. Looks super cheap IMO. I wouldn't do that mod just because there's no sure way I can think of to cap that thing nicely, and safely.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Most people just buy the auto version. Unlike the previous mustangs, the reservoir and MC come together. On ebay, you can get the auto with brake booster for around $60. The GTO clutch reservoir seems to be the go to.

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
EPDM caps (you have to do some digging/searching for them) are brake fluid non-reactive and will work. The ideal solution is obviously to replace the whole reservoir, though I'm not sure if you can do just that and not need an entire system (and ABS) bleed...

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
I was able to pump the reservoir empty then disconnect it from the MC and install the auto reservoir on the stock MC. No air introduced into the system. Just have a towel handy since some fluid will run out once the stock reservoir is disconnected

Last edited:

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
I was able to pump the reservoir empty then disconnect the reservoir from the MC and install the auto reservoir on the stock MC. No air introduced into the system. Just have a towel handy since some fluid will run out once the stock reservoir is disconnected
What did you use as your remote reservoir and how did you mount it?

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
What did you use as your remote reservoir and how did you mount it?
I am using this reservoir and I've just got it zip-tied to the brake fluid reservoir until I can figure out something more permanent. Not worried about it coming loose since this reservoir when full probably only weighs a couple ounces. More worried about the zip tie getting brittle and breaking later down the road.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/121863142672

IMG_9186.jpg

Hubele

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
I was able to pump the reservoir empty then disconnect it from the MC and install the auto reservoir on the stock MC. No air introduced into the system. Just have a towel handy since some fluid will run out once the stock reservoir is disconnected
Sorry for reviving an old thread but do you have the PN for the automatic reservoir?
Sponsored