Sponsored

Why no automatic in 2019 GT350?

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
One does not manually shift a DCT but rather send a polite request to the transmission computer that it is fully capable of ignoring.
Not trying to argue the point but, this is an educated group. The users here are very knowledgeable and it shows, So, why not recognize the DTC for what it is. A manual trans that automatically or electronically shifts itself? Its not a manual nor is it an automatic
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Not trying to argue the point but, this is an educated group. The users here are very knowledgeable and it shows, So, why not recognize the DTC for what it is. A manual trans that automatically or electronically shifts itself? Its not a manual nor is it an automatic

I'd like to say the same to you as well. A manual trans requires the driver to operate it directly whereas an automatic trans operates itself with minimal driver input.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
"Why no automatic in the 2019 GT350"

The question was answered by Jim Owens in a round about way at the Shelby meet in Vegas a while ago. Somebody asked if there will be a 2020 GT350. His reply was yes and it was to keep the third pedal crowd happy. My point is that Ford very specifically put a manual in the GT30. It is a little late in the game to reengineer an automatic solution for a car that was designed to have a manual. You don't just slap an automatic into a car without looking at an engineered solution.

If you want an auto, buy a GT500.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
And then RIP your pocket book lol. Well...mine anyway. I still think the way you'd want to buy a GT500, it'll be about $80,000 MSRP.
Wait till 2021. When they are cranking them out at all you can eat numbers the ADMs will come down. This first year is just hype and "gotta have it".

Sponsored

REDLINE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Z51 Stingray
Wait till 2021. When they are cranking them out at all you can eat numbers the ADMs will come down. This first year is just hype and "gotta have it".
..unless you live in California . They’re still marking up ‘19 non-Rs. Hence I bought my ‘18 from the Midwest and shipped it over.

mrbillwot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
'19 Kona Blue w/blk roof & blk stripes GT350, 89 LX5.0 Sedan (Mustangs Past: 69's Coupe, Mach 1, & GT)
One does not manually shift a DCT but rather send a polite request to the transmission computer that it is fully capable of ignoring.
My Ford DCT will obey manual gear choices and related changes. Worse case it takes longer to shift to a not predicted next gear. That's the same as it would be when being run in fully automatic mode - it will preselect a gear in waiting no matter what mode it is in. If you manually select that same gear that it predicted then its very fast shifting - if you did something it did not anticipate (which is more likely in traffic stop go or sudden lane change acceleration needs) it will take a bit longer as it reselects the gear you ask for that had not been queued up and changes to it. It tries to be predictive but its not a mind reader especially again in stop & go when its making choices based on an assumption like you want the highest gear asap for mileage and were just coasting rather than forced to coast while looking for an opportunity to jump on it & change lanes (even in auto mode I manually force a down shift for that case). When I run in manual mode, which again will do as told, my mileage drops from meh to pathetic but its a helluva lot more fun and you get engine braking for example.

Ford keeps telling us the reason for no DCT in the GT350 is relatively low demand - it seems a logical reason. These are low volume and aren't cheap and they're not really intended to be commuter cars. Just like the SC2 tires on MY19+ isn't trying to be for daily or all conditions driving the assumption is smiles per gallon including manual mechanical control of gears.
Sponsored

Last edited: