Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost, A10
Vehicle Showcase
Questions:

1. Was your average computed by the car or by hand?
  2. Altitude?
That was computed by hand. The trip computer showed 36.5. It's always a little optimistic.
Sponsored

Hinzel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
pretty sure my 5 mile commute to the train station is the worst possible for gas mileage. i get 18 mpg on 3.31 gears lol

OP
OP
TorqueMan

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
pretty sure my 5 mile commute to the train station is the worst possible for gas mileage. i get 18 mpg on 3.31 gears lol
Probably because the engine never gets fully warmed up. You should take your car out at least once a week for a longer drive (30+ minutes) to get the oil fully up to temp. If the oil isn't hot enough it will never boil off the water that collects from condensation after you shut it down, which can contribute to early oil degradation. Your intelligent oil-life monitor is supposed to account for this when it recommends an oil change, but I would still take the car out for a long drive once in a while...

Hinzel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost
Probably because the engine never gets fully warmed up. You should take your car out at least once a week for a longer drive (30+ minutes) to get the oil fully up to temp. If the oil isn't hot enough it will never boil off the water that collects from condensation after you shut it down, which can contribute to early oil degradation. Your intelligent oil-life monitor is supposed to account for this when it recommends an oil change, but I would still take the car out for a long drive once in a while...
i do on the weekends. i also let it run for 5 mins or so to let it warm up, and let it run for another 1 - 2 mins before turning it off when i park

warm up/warm down is also probably contributing to those bad numbers, as it's running and not moving

OP
OP
TorqueMan

TorqueMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
i do on the weekends. i also let it run for 5 mins or so to let it warm up, and let it run for another 1 - 2 mins before turning it off when i park

warm up/warm down is also probably contributing to those bad numbers, as it's running and not moving
I think a long drive on the weekend does far more than your warm up/cool down ritual. Neither is really necessary for this car. Give it 30 seconds or so after you start up (long enough to get your seat belt on and put something on the stereo) to circulate some oil around the engine, then drive it like a sane person for the first five minutes. The idea of a cool down for turbocharged engines was appropriate at one time; way back when turbos were cooled using engine oil. A hot turbo could cause oil trapped near the hot section of the turbo to coke following shut down. The coked oil could then interfere with turbo operation, usually causing premature bearing failure. Allowing the turbo to cool off was a good idea for those engines. The turbo in your car is cooled with the coolant system, so oil coking isn't an issue.
Sponsored