Sponsored

Track Pads Really this loud?

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
I put a light coat of oil on them to prevent surface rust. Didn't know how long they would sit if I ever needed them again. They would just need to be cleaned off.
Never do that again.
Throw those out.
Buy new stock rotors.
Try them and see if the noise goes away.
Sponsored

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
If the abs was consistently triggered, the brakes may have gotten hot enough to melt pad material onto the rotor surface. Using the parking brake after sessions can also imprint pad material onto the rotor if the brakes got hot enough. You can remove it with sandpaper.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Never do that again.
Throw those out.
Buy new stock rotors.
Try them and see if the noise goes away.
Any particular reason? Rotors are coated in oil at the factory to prevent corrosion, which is why you clean all brake parts with brake cleaner before using them.

JR

OnTrack

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Ruby Red
Agreed with above, oil will not be an issue as long as they are cleaned before installation. Rotors are not the problem, its pad material if it's an autocross or road race pad. As long as you greased where the seats rest as you would with a normal installation. 2 piece rotors are for weight and cooling purposes so I would recommend solid rotors if you're worried about the cost.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I was so excited to put my new Steeda 2-piece rotors on the car I completely overlooked the fact they were practically dripping with oil/preservative. Luckily, my bud was like uhhh don't you want to clean the oil off those first? Good idea!

OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I was so excited to put my new Steeda 2-piece rotors on the car I completely overlooked the fact they were practically dripping with oil/preservative. Luckily, my bud was like uhhh don't you want to clean the oil off those first? Good idea!
How is your noise level? Which way do your slots run? The important part is having the cooling vanes run away from the direction of rotation, slanting to be back of the car but I feel like the slots should have been made the other way. Wondering if that has an impact on the noise.

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
I guess you never bought new rotors before, they are coated in oil/preservative.
True, but if there are stress cracks in the used ones oil will wick into every one. I would have wiped them down with brake cleaner and stored in a cool dry place.

Rotors rust almost every time a car is sitting after it rains, or when you wash it, depending on temperature. Once you apply the brakes it is wiped off.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
How is your noise level? Which way do your slots run? The important part is having the cooling vanes run away from the direction of rotation, slanting to be back of the car but I feel like the slots should have been made the other way. Wondering if that has an impact on the noise.
My slots are oriented the correct way as per Steeda, when the wheels rotate forward the slots will sling stuff to the outside.

Havent noticed any noise issues when bedding them in or daily driving on the street. Havent run them at the track yet.

Make sure your dust shields didnt get bent during the install. Those things can make an unholy racket.

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I did my first track day with the Powerstop Track Day pads, so far there is zero noise/squeal. Very dusty and they don't feel as good as the Ferodo DS2500 in long braking zones but they showed very little wear after a 30 laps day on a track that's fairly hard on brakes. But I find them so far to be a totally streetable/trackable pad.

OP
OP

PoppinJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
Ok guess its just me then. Put a second set of powerstop track day pads on as the first set wore out due to track time, noise levels are the same. Its either just the combination of my mods transmitting noise to the cab or perhaps My rotors are warped or something in some way. After My next events in June Ill have a brake from tracking the car for a couple of months and throw some different pads on. If the noise remains Ill know its the rotors.
Sponsored