Sponsored

went to the track last nignt and would like opinions!

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
So your going with the car is f&$ked up over spinning? Even though he has made no performance mods to the engine or transmission what so ever? The video proved lowering tire pressure works! It works the same on any modern car. At modern car power levels. Maybe when you had a new edge making 180 to the wheels. You could get away with 30 psi. Not anymore. And for the record. When you trouble shoot anything. You go from likely to least likely. Most likely the OP is spinning. It’s incredibly easy to lower tire pressure. And rule that out. Before moving on to other less likely scenarios.
Sponsored

Last edited:

growler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp
So your going with the car is f&$ked up over spinning? Even though he has made no performance mods to the engine or transmission what so ever? The video proved lowering tire pressure works! It works the same on any modern car. At modern car power levels. Maybe when you had a new edge making 180 to the wheels. You could get away with 30 psi. Not anymore. And for the record. When you trouble shoot anything. You go from likely to least likely. Most likely the OP is spinning. It’s incredibly easy to lower tire pressure. And rule that out. Before moving on to other less likely scenarios.
dude the car wasn't spinning.. I spun zero on my nittos., na...zero..but I did run about 25 lbs in them,,..200 lbs weight loss is 2 tenths in a quarter maybe a tenth in the eighth.. I have seen more than a few cars go faster with weight ADDED in the right spot.and .your absolutely fucking high if you think a stock 3:15 car can cut a 1.6 and extremely lucky to do a 1.7 ...fuck steedas full effort car is doing mid 1.5's..but I agree do the easy shit first

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
You boys can argue all you want. About what kinda sixty these cars are capable of. I’ll say it again. Just because you can’t do it. Don’t mean it can’t be done! Not one of the 30 psi crew offered any kind of solution or explanations. To the ops questions? Other than the car is down on power? Do a little more research. Steedas max effort car is running closer to 1.4s than 1.5s. People cut high 1.7s-low 1.8s on street tires in these cars. I get it. A couple of you guys think you got this racing shit down after you made a few passes. But if you think a 1.9 sixty on a radial is good. I’m done.

markmurfie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT
What traction control settings were you using? What driving mode are you in? I would suggest getting a data logging device before a camera.

Stock Autos can either be lazy off the line and not spin, or blow the tires off at the line, even with good tires, putting the car in second or third too early, depends on what the computer feels like doing from what the driver is telling it from the pedal input. Even the steering wheel input, and LSD rear allowing one tire to rotate at a slightly different rate can upset it, all the way to the 3-4 shift doing things like unlocking the TCC. Logging to see what is really going on tells you way more than what you as the driver feel, or can see in videos. Improvements come from collecting data, looking at it, trying different techniques, and making educated guesses at what needs to change to make the computer happy. Nothing tuning related, its just learning to drive the car as intended by the engineers who came up with the calibration. A lot of improvements that come from tunes is just removing the things that cause the ECU to limit the torque, making it easier to "drive" the car. It can come down to strange things like the rate at which you applied the pedal to WOT, or where your pedal was when you released the brake, to avoid a tipin torque reduction. Its why one foot on the brake, then the same foot zombie stomping the gas is so popular as it works. The first second off the line matters so much, and while its not as difficult as launching a manual, it can still be tricky to get the car to do the best it is capable of. You have almost 400Ftlbs of peak torque, and a 4.17 first gear, the car can go 60 ft pretty damn quick if you get the computer to apply all that torque to the ground.

You can always do a trans brake to actually get the engine torque up on that stock converter, foot braking can only hold soo much. Especially if your brake lines were not bleed well, your stock pads are garbage, or holding power just isn't there with the smaller upgraded brakes, and no parking brake lever to give them that little extra holding pressure. Not to mention people complaining that the Baer calipers stick. Leaving already at WOT, with the timing advance adder maxed out, Not touching the brake pedal at all, can make the ECU happy and a big difference as well.

NVRENUF

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
You boys can argue all you want. About what kinda sixty these cars are capable of. I’ll say it again. Just because you can’t do it. Don’t mean it can’t be done! Not one of the 30 psi crew offered any kind of solution or explanations. To the ops questions? Other than the car is down on power? Do a little more research. Steedas max effort car is running closer to 1.4s than 1.5s. People cut high 1.7s-low 1.8s on street tires in these cars. I get it. A couple of you guys think you got this racing shit down after you made a few passes. But if you think a 1.9 sixty on a radial is good. I’m done.

I think you may be over estimating the power of the stock motor at the low rpm the stock converter allows. I ran mine stock and was surprised I could not get the tires to spin off the line, even on stock 235’s. It actually left harder off idle then flashing the converter. These stock converters are so tight there is no power at 1800 rpm to get the car moving. Best I could get was 1.9 60fts( although I’m sure it could be a bit better at lower altitude). Throw a converter in it and that’s a different story.

For the record, I’m no rookie drag racer, be been running down the 1320 for over 25 years. Plenty of fast cars and 1.3-1.6 60 fts. These things on stock converters are dogs out of the hole. Hell, I was at the track last night and a guy had an E85 Hellion that was running 10.8@146. Ran like a banshee up top but left terribly because he didn’t change from the factory converter.

Sponsored

baevid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Maybe that track is not prepped very well. 1.9 60ft is pretty bad.

We stick to around 20psi on MT S/S as well.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
drop to 18 psi, and pull the fender plug. Guaranteed it was spinning and t/c was taking over. It's so sensitive the slightest spin kills it, and kills power and shifts after a traction control event for like 3 seconds.

OP
OP
tyguy

tyguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
drop to 18 psi, and pull the fender plug. Guaranteed it was spinning and t/c was taking over. It's so sensitive the slightest spin kills it, and kills power and shifts after a traction control event for like 3 seconds.
Whats the fender plug? I plan on going back and trying a lower pressure. I know they dont prep the tracks on fun night. I had advance track turned off as well.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Whats the fender plug? I plan on going back and trying a lower pressure. I know they dont prep the tracks on fun night. I had advance track turned off as well.
39502317732_53d8e4ac1b_h-jpg.jpg

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Nope. The bolt on. 30psi crew says there was no way it was spinning.:facepalm:

Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
You better air those Drag Radials down OP, you got a real '60 monster there and the Dude in Blue knows best.

OP
OP
tyguy

tyguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
well we shall find out! I plan on going back this friday and will report back my results.

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
I run 25 psi in 20" Nitto 555R drag radials and have cut high 1.5x consistently with the current setup. Lowering the pressure doesn't improve my 60' and I just see MPH drop slightly. Of course, I'm using 20" rims so can't get away with lowering the pressure too much.

Before the whipple, best 60' as bone stock was a 1.88 on 20" pirellis and a very well prepped drag strip. I don't think I've ever seen a bone stock S550 cut a 1.7x or better 60'. Anything is possible in the right conditions but I would expect 1.7x or better with that setup to be rare.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
You better air those Drag Radials down OP, you got a real '60 monster there and the Dude in Blue knows best.
Finally something we can agree on in this thread. Listen to the guy in blue with the NHRA license. Or the other guys that get to the track twice a year. Good call.