SPRING RATES & DROPS: ALL IN ONE THREAD!!

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Yeah I used a digital and an analog angle gauge and got it pretty close on reassembly this time, car isn't a DD so might hold off and just swap springs and rear shocks first.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Recently swapped out my fronts to FRPP track struts and it's better, but I'm not in love with it. Thinking about ditching the Steeda progressives for some BMR linear springs (SP081) because it still feels a little under-damped. There's no data available on spring rates for the FRPP track springs, so I don't really have a target to shoot for.

I have Steeda's adjustable lowering springs at the rear which are progressive 850-1000 lb/in, and with the non-adjustable Pro Action shocks it also feels a little under damped. This makes sense because of the very high rate, kinda thought more rebound adjustment might be needed and that seems to be the case.

Just last weekend installed Steeda's front camber plates along with the FRPP track struts and also the rear camber adjusters, so I need to get an alignment tomorrow. Might swap the rear shocks for Koni yellows and see if I can dial it in a bit, before changing the front springs which would require another alignment unless I can somehow get the camber plates set exactly back where they were.
I can pretty much assure you that you're not underdamped with those struts, but you're probably feeling the cushiness of the springs. Grab the whole BMR SP763 set along with the FRPP rear shocks and enjoy.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The more I read the more I’m thinking I need to go back to a linear rate front spring. I talked with Steeda and they’re going to sell me a pair of the front only ultralite linear rate springs, which should be 200 lb/in. That’s equivalent to GT350 fronts and a better match to the higher rate (approx 925 curb) adjustable height rears I have. The BMR front springs are only 170 lb/in which is like stock PP basically and their handling springs are 300 which seems like way too much for a street car. The question that remains is whether to keep the Steeda shocks, switch to FRPP track shocks, or try something else with adjustable rebound dampening.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The more I read the more I’m thinking I need to go back to a linear rate front spring. I talked with Steeda and they’re going to sell me a pair of the front only ultralite linear rate springs, which should be 200 lb/in. That’s equivalent to GT350 fronts and a better match to the higher rate (approx 925 curb) adjustable height rears I have. The BMR front springs are only 170 lb/in which is like stock PP basically and their handling springs are 300 which seems like way too much for a street car. The question that remains is whether to keep the Steeda shocks, switch to FRPP track shocks, or try something else with adjustable rebound dampening.
The handling springs are 250 lb/in (old ones were 300) and I and many others can attest to the fact that they're not too much rate for street use when paired with a good damper (FRPP are one of them).

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The handling springs are 250 lb/in (old ones were 300) and I and many others can attest to the fact that they're not too much rate for street use when paired with a good damper (FRPP are one of them).
Hmm, okay so I had bad info. If you have the BMR handling springs (250/980) and the FRPP track dampers, and say that it rides and handles well, then maybe I'll do that instead - the only difference being the adjustable height rear springs which should be around 950 lb/in curb. I'd really love to find something that works and stop fucking with the suspension on this car.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm, okay so I had bad info. If you have the BMR handling springs (250/980) and the FRPP track dampers, and say that it rides and handles well, then maybe I'll do that instead - the only difference being the adjustable height rear springs which should be around 950 lb/in curb. I'd really love to find something that works and stop fucking with the suspension on this car.
I mean it is a firm car (what you'd expect for a true sports coupe/sports car), but yes it definitely rides well. I get compliments on it regularly.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Ordered the BMR handling springs, gonna try them out.

Did you trim the jounce bumpers that came with the FRPP track struts? They're shorter than OE, but only designed for 1" drop.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Ordered the BMR handling springs, gonna try them out.

Did you trim the jounce bumpers that came with the FRPP track struts? They're shorter than OE, but only designed for 1" drop.
I trimmed my OE bumpstops, but that was before the BMR SM760 shock mounts went on the car. With those mounts (they add 1.125" rear shock travel) you don't need to trim.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I trimmed my OE bumpstops, but that was before the BMR SM760 shock mounts went on the car. With those mounts (they add 1.125" rear shock travel) you don't need to trim.
Didn’t know about those shock mounts, definite advantage for lowered cars. I’m guessing you were a tester somehow? Hopefully they’ll release for purchase soon.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Didn’t know about those shock mounts, definite advantage for lowered cars. I’m guessing you were a tester somehow? Hopefully they’ll release for purchase soon.
You can buy them now. I think you may still have to order them over the phone, but they are available. They not only give you back more travel than you lose by lowering, but get rid of the stupid bushing deflection in the stock mount. More durable, better ride (from no bushing deflection and the added travel), no NVH.

aleccolin

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.CarClubVT.com
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Thanks for the recommendation, called yesterday and got a set coming, and some FR3 track shocks for the rear, and some BMR springs for the front. Really hope this gets me where I want to be, the highway bounce is driving me nuts.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the recommendation, called yesterday and got a set coming, and some FR3 track shocks for the rear, and some BMR springs for the front. Really hope this gets me where I want to be, the highway bounce is driving me nuts.
Should help. The shock mounts do, too.

markbehr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT

blue350gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT PP
does any one know the spring rates for 2018 GT with magneride?
Thanks in advance

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase